E for Easy (or will it be) Airfix Lancaster B3 Dambusters.

Drilling out the end of the barrels adds a lot, looks fantastic. With the PE as well you better be careful or it will become the focal point of the whole model! 😆

• Like 1

On 07/12/2020 at 13:24, giemme said:

Lovely job with that turret, Simon!  :clap:

All those PE bits are adding a lot to the overall aspect :thumbsup:

Ciao 

Thanks G. Trying to make something out of them is fun.

Thanks @dogsbody, @AliGauld, @CedB, @Tomoshenko, @Bell209 and @Jeff G.

Well folks , after listening to @Tomoshenko and @elger, I had ago at joining the fuselage together with the main internals fitted but there was a gap that you could drive a bus through.

So, out with the files/scraper and I started to remove paint from all the contact surfaces.

IMG_20201214_145630

IMG_20201214_145646

The rear bomb bay bulkhead needed a lot of filing to make it fit properly.

IMG_20201214_145715

So did the front one but not as much.

IMG_20201214_145734

Still there was a gap, until I found the main culprit, the wing spars, they were sitting slightly proud of the bomb bay floor.

IMG_20201214_145744

With those bits sanded/filed back, success. (I had even removed the P.E. floor from the cockpit area too, but I can glue that back into place later.

But I did manage to add a few bits of P.E. to the rear turret though, fiddly but fun (I think).

IMG_20201214_145807

Coffee break now and then see what I can do, the weather is too poor to spray, so what is new LOL.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 12

More tiny little (fiddly) PE bits to amuse yourself and your audience :) :clap: 

Glad you were able to sort the fit issues, looking forward to the fuselage coming together :popcorn:

Ciao

• Like 1

On mine 2nd attempt at this kit, I used 1mm masking tape where the 4 bulkheads meet and along the length of the bomb bay sides before painting started. I then glued in sections to work out a bit of warping and misalignment between the two halves of the fuselage. It went together a lot easier than my first go with this kit though I still have some tidying and rescribing to do. 

Bravo on the extras on your kit, I find the kit over complicated OOB :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2020 at 16:53, giemme said:

More tiny little (fiddly) PE bits to amuse yourself and your audience :) :clap: 

Glad you were able to sort the fit issues, looking forward to the fuselage coming together :popcorn:

Ciao

On 14/12/2020 at 18:36, CedB said:

Me too! :) 

On 14/12/2020 at 22:07, The Spadgent said:

Looking good. Glad you managed to get the fit right. I hate it when the dry fit is fine then when the crunch comes. Gaps!!! What the.😮🥸

You seem to be knocking this one out of the park Simon. Bravo. 👌

Johnny

Thanks lads, it was worth doing before anything fiddly is attached.

Thanks @chrisrope, it is not that over complicated but can be a bit fiddly, but we will see.

As for the masking tape idea, I think I will use that on my next build whatever it is LOL.

Thanks @bigbadbadge, @AliGauld, @elger, @Dr. Quack, @AdrianMF, @Tomoshenko, @dogsbody and @bbudde.

Well sorry its been two week since I last posted but life Covid , Xmas etc got in the way.

But I got some bits done today.

Carved off the detail on the flight deck and added the P.E. floor also refixed the main floor while at it.

IMG_20201228_162700

Next up to radio boxes and another box bent out of P.E.

IMG_20201228_162723

Still a piece to bend and stick to the "Silver" one.

And on the observation of @elger I trimmed the elevators far ends to allow for full rudder movement.

IMG_20201228_163315

IMG_20201228_163320

It looks like sooner rather than later I am going to have to get the primer out.

Anyhow, you lot have a great Xmas.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 10

Thanks @AliGauld, @Tomoshenko, @dogsbody, @Dr. Quack, @giemme, @CedB, @The Spadgent and @elger.

OK folks, a little bit more done so far today.

Some brass bending etc.

The flight-deck has more brass to be added.

IMG_20201229_155147

IMG_20201229_155201

IMG_20201229_155220

The support brackets for the control column were a sod and pockets interesting to say the least.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 11

Those look superb mate. I was mad enough to print off reduced sized copies of the actual maps and slotted them in place. Of course know one will ever see them, or care, but I know they are there...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Those look superb mate. I was mad enough to print off reduced sized copies of the actual maps and slotted them in place. Of course know one will ever see them, or care, but I know they are there...

Thanks Tomo, as for maps etc, they were not allowed to stored on un-manned aircraft during war time at least.

Simon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Simon. Nice work and a hopefully relaxed and nice Sylvester to you  and your Lady Rose. Have a good new year. Better than the last one schould be easy :mental: Anyway a "Guten Rutsch" from me here of course for the next year.

Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

On 29/12/2020 at 20:30, giemme said:

More lively brass details there, Simon :clap: Very neatly deployed! :worthy:

Ciao 

On 29/12/2020 at 20:33, CedB said:

Nice work Simon. Those map pockets are a pig... good job! :) 

They were and were not, it was just a case of working out the fold procedure.

Thanks @bbudde, @dogsbody, @Tomoshenko, @AliGauld, @ruudster, @occa, @Dr. Quack, @elger, @The Spadgent and @Jeff G.

Well a very Happy New Year to you all, let`s hope it is a damn sight better than the last one.

Not a lot done until this morning.

So, first up, I drew around the upper wings and tail planes to start creating the templates for the camouflage for later in the build.

IMG_20210106_102911

Next up, drilled some tiny indents into the IFF and landing lights for reference after painting (the bulbs).

IMG_20210106_103342

Then gave the IFF lights some colour.

IMG_20210106_104220

I will let them dry before painting the reverse sides silver, as well as the landing lights.

Time for coffee then see what else I can do.

Stay safe.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 8

Thanks @giemme and @AliGauld.

Priming is what I did next.

To see the mistakes LOL.

Turrets.

IMG_20210106_125218

Flight deck.

IMG_20210106_125259

Oil coolers ?

IMG_20210106_125316

Mine and main U/C wheels.

IMG_20210106_125350

Tail wheel and black box.

IMG_20210106_125404

And wings.

IMG_20210106_125417

I may spray some colour around after brunch.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 7

Thanks @giemme and @AliGauld.

OK, last of the spraying done for today, it`s getting dark and to cold to have the window open, so.

Outer engine nacelle`s primed and painted.

IMG_20210106_154454

I.P. re-painted, I had t trim some excess off around the central console to fit the P.E. bits.

IMG_20210106_154519

Rear turret fairing given a blast of black while at it.

IMG_20210106_154525

I had the interior green out as well and gave the flight deck a squirt.

IMG_20210106_154543

As well as the insides of the upper wings.

IMG_20210106_154559

I am going to let things dry for now and see what can be done later.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 9

Looking good. The internal framing for the wings is quite a tight fit (but fits well), so try a few dry runs first before letting rip with the poly cement. You might have to sand off some of the paint.

• Like 1

Just now, Tomoshenko said:

Looking good. The internal framing for the wings is quite a tight fit (but fits well), so try a few dry runs first before letting rip with the poly cement. You might have to sand off some of the paint.

Cheers for the heads up on that Tomo, a friend of mine told me about it before I started her.

Hope to get some more done over the next few days.

Simon.

Simon, the interior is looking rather smart. It looks like a case of dry fit everything before adding glue.

Which is probably better than in the old days when parts fitted where they touched!

I read the Dambusters book (again) a couple of months ago, and I thought it said that to save weight, the Pilots seatback armour plate was removed?

You may want to check before committing to paint there? I'll have another leaf through the book and get back to you.

The film was on over Christmas and they mentioned stirrups being fitted to the front turret. These kept the gunners feet away from the bombaimer. 

Probably too small a detail in 1/72nd though!

If you get a chance, (when things are back to normal) try to visit the Dambusters pub in Scampton village. The food (and beer) is very good.

And they have a large number of exhibits in honour of the crews and their mission. Including a prop and mainwheel tyre in the bar! :poppy:

• Like 3