E for Easy (or will it be) Airfix Lancaster B3 Dambusters.

37 minutes ago, giemme said:

If you hadn't tell, I'd have never noticed ... :shrug:  :winkgrin:

Well, some one would of spotted it G. At least it is on the inside LOL.

OK folks, I have come to a decision, after a great deal of thinking I am going with the kit seat.

My P.E. skills are not up to the complex folding etc of the brass bit.

IMG_20201203_152008

But I will utilize bits of the P.E. to embellish the kit`s one.

IMG_20201203_152055

I just think it makes more sense, hopefully .

Other than that, I cleaned up the wheels ready for priming /painting etc.

IMG_20201203_152109

And the tail planes too.

IMG_20201203_152144

And the "Upkeep" mine was readied as well.

Coffee break and then more thinking on what to use of the P.E. seat parts.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 9

Ah that's what I like to see. I was going to try and persuade you to have a go, but I'm weary of telling folk what to do on their builds in case it appears that I'm butting in or being a busy body. Anyroad it looks great. And you've bust your cherry with the folder. I have one of those by the way, they're nice bits of kit.

• Like 1

You did great on folding that PE seat, Simon  :clap: I still think the kit seat looks more three-dimensional, if you know what I mean, but I admittedly know nothing about this subject and it's totally your call. Keep going :)

Ciao 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Good show on tackling the Dark Arts of folding etch. Enjoying watching the build.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, it was a bit scary but at least I had the kit`s seat to fall back on.

21 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Ah that's what I like to see. I was going to try and persuade you to have a go, but I'm weary of telling folk what to do on their builds in case it appears that I'm butting in or being a busy body. Anyroad it looks great. And you've bust your cherry with the folder. I have one of those by the way, they're nice bits of kit.

Thanks Tomo, I actually did not use the folder on the seat, so far, it was tweezers and a pair of P.E. pliers I have got, but the folder has been use on other parts.

19 hours ago, elger said:

You should consider chopping off the corner of each of the elevator - as discussed here in this thread:

Thanks for the heads up Elger, the elevators are only dry fitted so it will be an easy job to sort out.

19 hours ago, giemme said:

You did great on folding that PE seat, Simon  :clap: I still think the kit seat looks more three-dimensional, if you know what I mean, but I admittedly know nothing about this subject and it's totally your call. Keep going :)

Ciao 

I see what you mean Giorgio but there is a lot more to add to it, like the back frame with air bottle holder, base frame, arm rests etc so it will be fun.

Also I am going to take a look at @Tomoshenko build t check any other bits that need doing to it.

Thanks @CedB, @bbudde, @Dr. Quack, and @dogsbody.

Not much done today, bust with life`s duties.

Stay safe.

Simon.

• Like 3

As per Ced's comment. I believe yes, although I'm sure many searches will show restorations. A few links below all appear to show moveable arm rests. The latter is a 3d virtual tour of the "Just Jane" Lanc which has been restored, although does have some nice piccies for other references. Problem I came across with the Dambuster Lanc is that a lot of standard operational stuff was stripped out to save weight, and being classified not many original reference pictures were taken or remain.

https://3dtotal.com/galleries/zkkl/avro-lancaster-interior

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/lancaster-bomber-cockpit-panoramic-images.html

https://www.haraldjoergens.com/panoramas/lancaster/

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

As per Ced's comment. I believe yes, although I'm sure many searches will show restorations. A few links below all appear to show moveable arm rests. The latter is a 3d virtual tour of the "Just Jane" Lanc which has been restored, although does have some nice piccies for other references. Problem I came across with the Dambuster Lanc is that a lot of standard operational stuff was stripped out to save weight, and being classified not many original reference pictures were taken or remain.

https://3dtotal.com/galleries/zkkl/avro-lancaster-interior

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/lancaster-bomber-cockpit-panoramic-images.html

https://www.haraldjoergens.com/panoramas/lancaster/

Thanks Tomo, that is exactly what I was looking for.

It looks like the arm rests were movable, also the Nav`s seat was cushioned as well, more detail to work on.

Simon.

Thanks for all the feed back gents, it is helping me a lot with those little bits I cannot find in the books I have.

Anyhow a couple of bits done.

Firstly the front lower frame part was folded and fixed into place.

IMG_20201205_162516

Sorry another blurry pic, must get myself a new camera.

The next bit was the oxygen bottle holder that fits to the back of the seat.

After measuring the bit up 4 mm sq and dividing by Pi it came out to be a tad over 1.26 mm diameter.

So I rolled it around a bit of 1 mm plastic rod but there was still a gap, so I got some 0.8 mm rod out and that did the job just fine.

A swipe of C/A along the join and this is what I ended up with.

IMG_20201205_162630

I must suss these pics out better.

Anyhow time to cook tea.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, giemme said:

Getting a hang of PE malarkey you are, definitely! :clap:

Ciao 

18 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

That is fiddly work,  great job though. 

Chris 

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Seconded! :) 

Thanks lads, I am gradually getting the knack of this P.E. lark, although it can be very testing on the eyes.

Thanks again @Tomoshenko, those links have given me more idea on what goes where and what those bits are.

Right, a little bit more done today.

The first bit of folding done was the support bracket for an instrument under the compass.

I lost it once to the carpet monster but found it again.

IMG_20201206_141413

IMG_20201206_141422

Another seat done, getting the knack of this now, just!!!!

IMG_20201206_141441

A box and panel folded and glued together, this goes down near the bomb aimers position.

IMG_20201206_141505

I marked up the bottom fnar of the rear turret for aligning the replacement P.E.

IMG_20201206_141536

These bits in red have to be removed first so hence the previous pic.

IMG_20201206_141703

Not much of the pre painted P.E. left but some really fiddly bits still to do.

IMG_20201206_141733

Well, time out for a while , rugby on.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

PS, I just noticed that I have fitted that instrument the wrong way around, oh blast.

• Like 8

OK rugby over , back to the bench and the rear turret.

This bit of brass folds on the right folds into this item on the left.

IMG_20201206_161655

Both done and now fitted to turret.

IMG_20201206_164723

Still some more brass to fit but that will happen later this evening, I hope.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 10

Hey Simon. 😀

I Just caught up with this lovely thread. 🤗 Lancaster, lots of PE good company, what’s not to like? 😇 Sooo sorry I missed the back end of the defiant build I forgot to press the follow button although I’m sure a lot of the threads I thought I was following at some point half way through the year I wasn’t? 🤔

I have deffo pressed the button this time.  Seems like you’re doing a great job with the PE and the internals are coming on a treat. I’ll pull up a stool and make sure I don’t miss this one. 

Johnny

• Like 1

17 hours ago, giemme said:

More great job with PE, Simon :clap:

Ciao 

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Seconded! (Again) :) 

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Smashing work on the brass origami Simon. Great stuff all round. 👏

Thank you good gentle men, brass origami it is, taxing for my feeble little grey cells but enjoyable at the same time.

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Hey Simon. 😀

I Just caught up with this lovely thread. 🤗 Lancaster, lots of PE good company, what’s not to like? 😇 Sooo sorry I missed the back end of the defiant build I forgot to press the follow button although I’m sure a lot of the threads I thought I was following at some point half way through the year I wasn’t? 🤔

I have deffo pressed the button this time.  Seems like you’re doing a great job with the PE and the internals are coming on a treat. I’ll pull up a stool and make sure I don’t miss this one. 

Johnny

No worries there Johnny, welcome aboard dear chap.

Thanks @AliGauld, @dogsbody and @bbudde.

Not much done last night, life gets in the way of things sometimes, as we all know.

However, progress this morning, the P.E. was added to the front turret.

IMG_20201207_122639

IMG_20201207_122653

Yes I did drill the gun barrels out a bit.

IMG_20201207_122704

Time for some brunch then onto the rear turret again.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 9