E for Easy (or will it be) Airfix Lancaster B3 Dambusters.

Looking good! Did you do a good dryfit of the fuselage parts and the bomb bay fitted? I had trouble with both the Mk II and the Mk I kit I built. Especially the front bomb bay bulkhead gave me trouble. And I can't imagine that the Eduard floor improves the fit of the Airfix parts!

21 minutes ago, elger said:

Looking good! Did you do a good dryfit of the fuselage parts and the bomb bay fitted? I had trouble with both the Mk II and the Mk I kit I built. Especially the front bomb bay bulkhead gave me trouble. And I can't imagine that the Eduard floor improves the fit of the Airfix parts!

I have not done a dry fit of the fuselage with the bomb bay fitted, but I was talking with a friend and he said that only problem he had was with the U/C bays.

But thank you for the heads up though.

Simon.

I built B3...but comes with parts to build different versions of Lancaster including an middle gun turret.. and the standard bomb bay arrangement. I built mine with the Wallace bomb.. 

• Like 1

I built B3...but comes with parts to build different versions of Lancaster including an middle gun turret.. and the standard bomb bay arrangement. I built mine with the Wallace bomb.. I also had trouble getting the front bomb bay bulkhead correct.. 

Spoiler

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Paul Atkins said:

Hi built the airfix dambusters lanc during first lock down a nice model. Lot of detail but no crewman.. 

37 minutes ago, Paul Atkins said:

Hi built the airfix dambusters lanc during first lock down a nice model. Lot of detail but no crewman.. 

29 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Only the pilot, but I am not bothering with him , yet.

Thanks Paul.

Simon.

26 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Coming on well,  great to see paint going on too.

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Atkins said:

I built B3...but comes with parts to build different versions of Lancaster including an middle gun turret.. and the standard bomb bay arrangement. I built mine with the Wallace bomb.. I also had trouble getting the front bomb bay bulkhead correct.. 

Reveal hidden contents

How does one reveal the hidden contents, Paul?

Chris

3 hours ago, elger said:

I see what you mean about the fit but she`s a new tooling so tolerances are tight, nowt that a bit of sanding/filing won`t sort out.

Thanks @Tomoshenko, @dogsbody, @giemme, @bigbadbadge and @Paul Atkins.

Not much done this evening but I got most of the glazing in apart from the front 2 windows.

IMG_20201128_193011

A close up of the first of the pre-painted panels.

IMG_20201128_193054

That is it for tonight but I may tackle the IP tomorrow if I get a chance.

Stay safe and have a great evening.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Ditto Elger's comments. Looking good but be sure to check the fuselage fit. 

I will do sir, it`s amazing how a bit of paint can cause so much problems but still, that is what modelling is all about 😀

Simon.

• Like 1

As you say the tolerances are quite fine, which is a good thing really so no complaints. Fit is great overall but the only issue I had (and let's face it as your strapline says "Modelling!!!!! It`s about having FUN!!!!!" so no probs with a bit of sanding) was the fuselage fit, although that could have been a one off. Anyroad here is a link to my build thread starting at p7 were I stitched up the halves if it's of any help.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235014244-airfix-dambuster-172-avro-lancaster-biii/page/7/

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

As you say the tolerances are quite fine, which is a good thing really so no complaints. Fit is great overall but the only issue I had (and let's face it as your strapline says "Modelling!!!!! It`s about having FUN!!!!!" so no probs with a bit of sanding) was the fuselage fit, although that could have been a one off. Anyroad here is a link to my build thread starting at p7 were I stitched up the halves if it's of any help.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235014244-airfix-dambuster-172-avro-lancaster-biii/page/7/

Many thanks sir, I have just finished reading it at will go back to it for reference.

Looks like a lot more work to do .

Simon.

• Like 1

Thanks @bbudde, @Marklo , @CedB, @giemme, @billn53, @dogsbody and @Tomoshenko.

Well, the start of the month I have a little bit of time at the bench.

Another pic of the control column just to give a size comparison.

IMG_20201201_113058

A couple of placards added, the one in the nose area had 6 pieces to it, never again LOL

IMG_20201201_153834

And I have started the I/P now.

IMG_20201201_153916

Sorry for the blurry pics, it seems my phone does not like taking close-ups, oh bother.

Anyhow, I may get a little bit more done, depends on the light.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 10

Thanks @CedB, @dogsbody, @Tomoshenko, @giemme, @Adam Poultney, @billn53, @bbudde, and @Dr. Quack.

Well, I made a c**k up while fitting the placards.

The one just below the edge of the cockpit is the wrong way around, bummer but WTH.

IMG_20201203_130243

But I got the nose one the right way around.

IMG_20201203_130250

I will leave alone for now and concentrate on other bits for the afternoon.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

The one just below the edge of the cockpit is the wrong way around, bummer but WTH.

If you hadn't tell, I'd have never noticed ... :shrug:  :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1