Airfix 1/24 Aston Martin DB5 (07402)

I was always under the impression this was a terrible kit, but it doesn't look it from the photos. I presume this is a reflection of the quality of your build, even if it was quick as it looks good in the pics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roymattblack said:

Pics don't show for me either...

They don't for me in the post, but if you right click on the icons and click 'open image in new tab' they'll show up. I believe it's something to do with security settings on Dave's website after the last BM upgrade.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice job, only the wheels let it down, they look like the same ones that came with my Monogram Maserati 3200GT and they just look a little undersized.  But I can't criticise the build at all.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 6:30 PM, dbostream said:

Photos don't show for me.

Sorry about that but Google have added my domain to a spammer blacklist and you have to change settings in Chrome or Edge to see the pictures. A link to how to do it is in my signature although others have pointed out that right-clicking on a picture link and displaying the picture in a new tab works.

UPDATE Feb 2021: My images have been moved to a new domain which has solved the non-appearance of my images so the link to the solution that was in my signature has been removed.

On 11/24/2020 at 9:04 PM, Spiny said:

I was always under the impression this was a terrible kit, but it doesn't look it from the photos. I presume this is a reflection of the quality of your build, even if it was quick as it looks good in the pics.

The really awful Airfix Aston Martin DB5 is the 1/32 one. Any of the kit parts resembling the box artwork is purely coincidental:

spacer.png

My 1/24 build is a 2001 Airfix reboxing of a Doyusha kit:

spacer.png

On 11/24/2020 at 9:35 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

The right click thing worked for me. Thanks, Keith. 

Nice build, Dave. Centuries ago I built the 007 version. I still have the instructions!

I have a James Bond version in my stash and this build was practice for when I come to build it next year:

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 5

10 hours ago, davecov said:

A link to how to do it is in my signature although others have pointed out that right-clicking on a picture link and displaying the picture in a new tab works.

Thanks for that Dave, didn't know you could do that - so I can see your pics again now, and much easier than right clicking them all!

Keith

• Like 1

From what I read on another car modelling site, the 60s Airfix 007 DB5 is a completely different kit from the later Airfix/Doyusha DB5?  
As in not just the 007 hardware but the whole kit is different.  Doyusha version good but 60s Airfix better especially in the profile of the “rockers” which from Americish must have meant the sills!

• Like 1

That is correct. From our entry in the History of Airfix Kits on the ATF, the details of the other 60's Aston Martin kit are below:

Aston Martin DB5
1/24 scale.
Motorised snap-together kit.
Available in 1966 (?)
Not listed in Fourth Edition (1966) catalogue or on price list.
Listed as missing in 2002.

Dave

• Like 1