239 Heller 1/72 Arado 96B. The Arado Duo Part 2 ***FINISHED***

fightersweep

Following on from the back story to my Heller Arado Ar-196A build, I had to follow up that kit with the Arado Ar-96B. Now this is one I didn't build back in the day, and in fact, have ever built. I'm not sure why as the Ar-96B is an aircraft that I like a lot. It's just an attractive looking machine, and I really don't know why I didn't pick one up back then. My best mate and modelling buddy Mike had built a couple, so I knew it was a nice kit, but I think it was a case of too many kits competing for my meagre amount of cash. Once again, time to put that right. I must have at least four in the stash, so there's no excuse now.

This is Heller catalogue number 239 from (I believe again!) 1979 in the classic black box which has fared a lot better than the Arado 196A that I have. I do like Heller's black box era, but to be honest, I've come to appreciate all of Heller's box styles as they're all just so wonderfully...well....French!

50641585936_4d654410c0_c.jpg

Once again, opening the box reveals three sprues of very crisply moulded parts with no flash in sight, a nice clear canopy and of course, yellowed decals. This is another little gem from Heller where I'm assuming there must have been something very good in the wine in the mid to late 1970s as their output was magic at that time. I really can't wait to crack on with this one! Once again, it's going to be an OOB effort and I will leave the aftermarket and general kit wizardry to @Dean Whiston in his excellent Arado 96 thread.

50640831263_8ac7159112_c.jpg

Time for a big shout out to @Graham Boak who sent me a pm kindly offering to send me some decals to replace the not very nice decals in the kit. What I wasn't expecting was an envelope full of decals for at least a dozen Ar-96s and some very nice profiles. Thank you Graham. I really appreciate it. So, if anyone else has plans to build a Heller Ar-96 and needs some decals, give me a shout and I will forward some on.

50641661272_0a5460cf26_c.jpg

Steve

• Like 11

Hi Steve,

I agree with you about that generation of Heller kits in terms of mould quality, but as I found with my 1973 Mig-19, some of the researchers probably drank a bit too much of the wine you mentioned as the odd kit is not very accurate!😁 Sounds like their P-47N has similar problems. This is a nice looking plane and a kit I have never built so I will watch with interest.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

I agree that the MiG 19 isn't that great, and neither was the MiG 21 that came out at the same time.  However, bear in mind just what was and was not known about these aircraft at the time.  However, no model manufacturer exists without the occasional duff product, and Heller had its share.  But in the late 70s they were generally the best around, and the Ar.96 is one of their neatest and nicest.

• Like 1

A little bit of progress on the Arado 96. Cockpit is more or less done OOB with just the addition of some etch seat belts. For a kit of it's era, it's not a bad level of detail to be honest, and once it's all locked up in that narrow fuselage, not a lot can be seen anyway. It's been painted with Gloy RLM 02, which despite the camera not picking it up very well, is a pretty decent match. Good paint too. Only needed one thinned coat. I think the fuselage is ready to be buttoned up.

50668002496_ca53648723_c.jpg

I also got the wings together, and with this, I very nearly made a big boo boo. The way the U/C legs are moulded means that they have to be fitted before the wing halves are glued together. The instructions do point this out in the written version and I nearly missed it. I just think I'm too conditioned to putting the sticky out bits on last. How long before I break them off during the rest of the construction? U/C bay and legs painted RLM 02 again. I think this one is going to be a sea of RLM 02 with a dash of yellow.

50668077717_83b234a9ff_c.jpg

That's about it so far. I think it's time for the airframe to come together now.

Steve

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Jinxman said:

Looking good - I like the Gloy paints. I still have some, (mostly railway), colours which never let me down, even though most of them are probably 40 years old or so.

I've managed to round up a stash of Gloys over the last few years. I know some don't care for them, but I've had only good experiences with them. Certainly formulated with the hairy stick user in mind (as was the norm back then I suppose). and I do like some of the colours they did. I still think their US interior green in best out there. They do seem to give a wonderfully smooth finish, often with one coat. I had a few of their Luftwaffe colours in the early 80s, and I never forgot their distinctive smell, so it was fun to acquire some more and sniff that Gloy aroma once again. Transported me right back to 1982! (Disclaimer: I'm not advocating solvent abuse folks......says he who's like a Bisto kid every time he pops open a tin of Gloy)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I generally do the stick-out parts last, even if I have to devise a different method of attachment. I  break everything that sticks out several times before I finish. Even into radio masts, however thin, I try to drill a hole for a piece of metal wire to reach into the fuselage spine because I'm so clumsy that they crack every time I move the finished model (which doesn't prevent that they may still break further up 🙄)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Toryu said:

I generally do the stick-out parts last, even if I have to devise a different method of attachment. I  break everything that sticks out several times before I finish. Even into the radio mast, however thin, I try to drill a hole for a piece of metal wire to reach through into the fuselage spine because I'm so clumsy that they crack every time I move the finished model (which doesn't prevent that they can still break higher up 🙄)

Guilty as charged !

• Haha 1

Running an online retail business has meant the the last few weeks have been pretty manic, so any modelling progress on the Arado 96, Ar 196A and Chaika has been frustratingly slow. However, there has been some forward momentum and the Ar-96B is now an aeroplane shape that's ready for some paint. This will be an overall RLM 02 scheme as A: It's really easy, B: I like overall RLM 02 colour schemes and C; I very much like the old Gloy RLM 02 that I found in the stash. It's the best 02 I've used and I can't stop playing with it.

This Heller kit is a gem. It went together perfectly with just a tiny bit of filler needed here and there. The only poor point was the rather vague fitting of the horizontal stabiliser. Has to be said that building this kit has reminded me why I've always liked the Arado 96. It's a handsome looking aircraft and I will be building more as I have a few more in the stash. So, this is where I am at the moment. Next installment should see me at the decal stage.

50694356653_699ee15a3e_c.jpg

50694356668_dc70aa7a3e_c.jpg

50695184107_da947558ff_c.jpg

Steve

• Like 9

Quick update. Not too much to report, but the paint is on (except the starboard wing...got to have something to hold onto when painting an overall block colour). Hope to get the other wing done tomorrow and paint the lower cowl section black, along with painting the exhausts and walkways, then it will be ready for the decals. It's still not looking particularly exciting, so it's going to need those decals to make it look interesting! I think the finish line is in sight.

50710569921_f9969c541f_c.jpg

50709836223_f25fb92578_c.jpg

Steve

• Like 6

Looking good . I agree with you what a great looking aircraft they are, I bet a few tyro fighter pilots imagined themselves in their Messers or Fockers already while flying these. I'm looking forward to the end result.

Steve.

• Like 1

A bit more progress and the decals are now on. These were some of the decals kindly supplied by @Graham Boak (have you received yours yet @JOCKNEY?) and they worked very nicely. I did have some issues with the wing crosses settling over the raised panel lines, ie: they wouldn't and insisted on splitting and peeling away in those spots as can be seen in the photos. Even though I had already used them, the issue was sorted with further lashings of Microsol and Microset. 

I didn't have the profile for this scheme, so relied on an online build that I found using the same markings and simply copied that, however, I have a sneaking suspicion that the nose should be yellow too. Not certain at this point, but if it's wrong it will have to stay as it is now. Apart from that, it's almost there in it's Heller OOB goodness and should be finished this weekend. It's handy seeing these photos as I've just spotted that I missed the filler on the lower cowling. Easy fix! 

50732696506_0d4d15493e_c.jpg

50732793067_dcfdd04ec9_c.jpg

Steve

• Like 7

Thanks chaps! It's getting there!

@JOCKNEY Hopefully they'll turn up soon. Must have been a week ago I posted them by now.

@TonyOD Those Lufty schemes can be a bit scary. I'm ok with them as long as there's not a lot of mottling involved. This Arado was a nice and easy peasy block colour.

Steve

• Like 1

I'm calling the Arado 96B done. It's been an enjoyable build without any great problems, but I am glad I didn't add any more detail to the cockpit as barely anything can be seen through the canopy. I think a vac canopy would be essential otherwise. Looking at the Arado now, it's sit appears to be on "tip toes" which makes me wonder if the oleos are in the unloaded position. I've noticed this on a few Heller kits, especially the He-112 I was looking at the other day wondering if I want to submit another GB build. Anyway, I'm calling this one done and it's time for me to finish off the Ar-196 and Chaika builds. Thanks to all who followed! Time to plonk this one in the GB gallery.

50736693522_81d09c69f8_c.jpg

Steve

• Like 5

• fightersweep changed the title to 239 Heller 1/72 Arado 96B. The Arado Duo Part 2 ***FINISHED***

Looks great! Nice clean build and colours. It's lovely to see another less prominent model. I'm absolutely astounded about the amount and variety of kits that Heller produced.

Thanks Toryu! It's a great little kit of a subject not well catered for when Heller produced it, and it's what attracted me to Heller in my younger days. So many lesser known subjects to choose from. I remember me and my best mate used to try and out do each other with obscure subject choices at a time when the kit industry was in decline. We had a field day when we discovered Heller!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Nice build! In the gallery you say you do not know what unit the decs are for. Probably totally wrong but the insignia looks like the "winged Griffon rising from the sea" badge of FFS A/B 71. Not quite sure how the codes work in training units as they do not seem to be on any of the lists I have, but I have seen a pic of a similar Arado from that unit coded KF+CJ.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

The transfers come from the Mark I book, which contains descriptions and transfers for 12 Ar.96.  The badge is that indeed of FFS A/B 71, and the cowling should be yellow until just aft of the exhausts.  Sorry Steve, if I'd realised sooner I could have said.  The codes are the factory or radio codes that all German aircraft were issued with and carried throughout their lives, even though on combat types they would be replaced externally by the appropriate unit and individual markings.  You can sometimes see them still carried underwing on (for example) Bf 109s.  They were issued in blocks to each type, usually running in a sequence from xxxA to xxxZ, then being replaced by different block altogether, but "broken" blocks do exit with a range of different types.  However when the system was introduced aircraft in the training schools were issued codes in batches for each school: so which system applied to these Arados I don't know.  However this was an Avia-built aircraft, and they began building them in 1940, so I suspect a factory-issued code.

• Like 1