241 Heller 1/72 Arado 196A. The Arado Duo Part 1. +++FINISHED+++ (Finally!)

fightersweep

1 minute ago, Johnson said:

Looks great Steve, looking forward to seeing the pics in the gallery.

Not only worked, the canopy is incredibly clear! It looks very thin, the details inside the cockpit are all really clear.

Thank you sir! The clear parts in the kit were very good. The were a few blemishes here and there which I was going to try and polish out, but a closer inspection looked as though they were in the plastic and may not have buffed out. This is one kit where you can go to town on the interior and it will still be seen. 

Steve

26 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Nice one Steve. Surely it must be better than your first!

I hope so Jeroen, otherwise I've wasted the last 40 years. Mind you, I really do need to get over my fear of the airbrush. I think not using it holds me back. 

That looks magnificent. This bloody GB, every time another build finished sonmething else elbows its way to the top of the stash....

Is that a single colour on top or a very subtle splinter camo?

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

I hope so Jeroen, otherwise I've wasted the last 40 years. Mind you, I really do need to get over my fear of the airbrush. I think not using it holds me back. 

It is a very useful tool. Takes a little practice but methinks you have enough stash for that 😉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

That looks magnificent. This bloody GB, every time another build finished something else elbows its way to the top of the stash....

Is that a single colour on top or a very subtle splinter camo?

Thanks Tony! Agreed. This bloody GB has also cost me a packet and bought Kingkit a Caribbean island. Do give the Arado a try though. It's a nice kit. It is a splinter camo in RLM 72 and 73. The difference between the two colours is not vast, and the lighting was not great when I took that photo, but this one shows the camo a bit better...

50803227128_5607f11649_c.jpg

13 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

It is a very useful tool. Takes a little practice but methinks you have enough stash for that 😉

Biggest problem I have is an area in which I can set up somewhere to use an airbrush. I do have a house move planned, so hopefully that will solve my problem and I can get using my airbrush. (Incidentally, I bough it in 1989 and I've been too scared to touch it since! 🤣

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, fightersweep said:

Do give the Arado a try though. It's a nice kit. It is a splinter camo in RLM 72 and 73. The difference between the two colours is not vast, and the lighting was not great when I took that photo, but this one shows the camo a bit better...

I have the Revell boxing and the schemes are rather smart. So many kits, so little time...

I see the camo better in that pic. I'm making decent progress with my captured/commandeered/recaptured LeO 451 now *self-isolation has something to be said for it) and I'm about to get busy with the splinter camo, but I can hardly tell the difference between RLM 70 and 71 in the tins...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

(Incidentally, I bough it in 1989 and I've been too scared to touch it since! 🤣

OK that's not weird at all Steve :whistle:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I see the camo better in that pic. I'm making decent progress with my captured/commandeered/recaptured LeO 451 now *self-isolation has something to be said for it) and I'm about to get busy with the splinter camo, but I can hardly tell the difference between RLM 70 and 71 in the tins...

I shall pop into that GB and have a look. I don't think there is a great deal of difference between RLM 70 and 71, just as there isn't between RLM 72 and 73. It appears that way in all the Luftwaffe camo books I have with paint chips. I think it is meant to be subtle, although in that case, why did they bother when one colour would have done the same job.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

I shall pop into that GB and have a look.

It's no longer in a GB, I scrapped it and started again so it was never going to make the deadline. Standalone WIP:

I'm sure the splinter camo underwent rigorous trials before it was adopted, I guess there was just enough distinction between the two shades of green to "break up" the outline of the aircraft.