BAe Hawk T2 vs Hawk T1

MBM

Hi all,

I was looking at building both the Hawk T1 and T2, I can remember both fondly from seeing them in the Lake District and Wales on family holidays.

I'm wondering A) what is the best kit to build? 

I know that the airfix kit lacks detail so I think my options are HobbyBoss, Italeri and Academy. I'm aware that the Hawk T1 can be built out of the box without modification. 

It's the T2 that I'm interested in, I'm aware that the T2 has upgrade avionics so presumably a PE set from a 1/48 Typhoon would suffice to cover the avionics?

Also the T2 has an alternatively shaped nose with a flattened tip and slightly different position of the pitot tube.

Would the 1/48 Academy ROKAF kit be suitable for the corrected nose shape with minor modifications to flatten the end? Or are there other kits better suited to being upgraded to the Hawk T2?

Thanks in advance and best wishes,
M

Don't know about the accuracy, but you may start from the Hobbyboss Hawk Mk,127, that at least has all the correct structural features for a T.2. The differences between T.1 and T.2 go beyond the new nose and involve other parts of the fuselage and the wings

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Don't know about the accuracy, but you may start from the Hobbyboss Hawk Mk,127, that at least has all the correct structural features for a T.2. The differences between T.1 and T.2 go beyond the new nose and involve other parts of the fuselage and the wings

Hi Giorgio,

Thank you very much, so are you saying that the Hobbyboss Hawk Mk 127 would have the correct wing and fuselage profiles too or is it just the nose that is correct on this kit?

Yes, the Hawk Mk.127 and the T.2 are both based on the design of the "second generation" Hawk (Mk.100 and following), so they share the same wing and fuselage. There may be some minor differences (away from references at the moment) but you will have the same fuselage and wing. The cockpits may differ as each air force had their own requirements.

As said before, I don't know how accurate the HB kit is though. In any case there are builds online and you can try and make your mind on the matter

47 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Time for Kinetic to bring out a range of 1/48 Hawks?

I can't say I've got around to building Kinetic's models yet although their Canadian CF-18's look very tempting with those show liveries. 

I would hope they would though as they've got the 1/48 Goshawk out. I wouldn't object to Hobbyboss doing the T2, if their Tucano is anything to go by I'd be happy. Although converting the Embraer to Shorts takes a little more effort.