F111-A

HL-10

This is Hobby Boss's F111A.

The model is painted as one of the development airframes.

I added some crew from the spares box, and tarted up the cockpit with Airscale decals.

Not a bad model, some problems with fit, especially getting the escape module to fit, but otherwise a nicely detailed kit.

DSCN0166.jpg

DSCN0167.jpg

DSCN0168.jpg

DSCN0169.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

DSCN0171.jpg

DSCN0172.jpg

DSCN0173.jpg

DSCN0174.jpg

DSCN0175.jpg

DSCN0176.jpg

DSCN0177.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

DSCN0179.jpg

DSCN0180.jpg

Thanks for looking :)
Angelo

• Like 71

Wow- I was not aware HB made an F-111, but yours looks very nice. Did the kit come with positionable slats/flaps/spoiler, or did you make them so? Either way, you did a great job. Not to denegrate all the outstanding modeling you did, I'm not sure a development aircraft would accumulate enough flight hours to get very dirty/weathered, and all of them looked pretty clean in the photos I had in my references, but that's just my personal opinion and what you did looks very convincing.

Mike

See the link below and scroll down to see some photos of the very 'Vark you modeled!

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/m61a1/interesting/

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, thank you for the comment & compliments, greatly appreciated! :)

7 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Did the kit come with positionable slats/flaps/spoiler, or did you make them so?

It's all out of the box, what you see is what you get.

I know what you are saying about the finish, but I like 'em dirty! :)

Those are some great photos.

I saw photos of  development airframe in a natural metal finish which is impressive!

Wonderful build Angelo. Will have to agree with Mike, the test and evaluation aircraft did not weather as what we all are used to. The only build issue I see is the weapons bay doors. You have installed them as per the instructions. The instructions are wrong. Not sure where Hobby Boss got there information but this is the correct way the doors are installed

100_9771

100_9797

I have all the F-111 kits Hobby Boss has produced thus far. Each have the same errors in the instructions. The instructions have you glue together D8 to D11 on the right and D9 to D12 on the left. Where on the jet should be as shown above. Parts D11 and D12 can be scored along the mold line and gingerly folded to the reference angle. This doesn't take away from your build at all. You've done a great job on a poorly instructed kit.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We had several of those pre-production F-111s at the technical training school in Wichita Falls, Texas. And a few were still painted in the grey over white scheme. Your model reminds me of those "maintenance trainers" and replicates the look very well.

• Like 1

You have done a lovely job there.

I wanted to do an early F111 but the 48th scale kit I have only has Vietnam decals (can't remember the make - it's in my stash in the attic). Can anyone recommend an aftermarket set of decals?

(I always seem to struggle when searching for decals online - most sites are not very user friendly when searching for something specific) 

• Like 1

Again, thank you all very much for the comments & compliments, they're all greatly appreciated.

Thank you to the F-111 experts for all your advice and observations :)

18 hours ago, Marxtuf said:

You have done a lovely job there.

I wanted to do an early F111 but the 48th scale kit I have only has Vietnam decals (can't remember the make - it's in my stash in the attic). Can anyone recommend an aftermarket set of decals?

@Marxtuf @HL-10They're over the past number of years decals came with various marking. Aero decals from the 70's made a RAF Lakenheath F-111F and F-4D set when the phantoms left and the 111's got settled in. Also Xtradecals has a set X015-48 which has the F-4D, F-111F and the F-15E. These are post Libyan raid. Wing king aircraft. Twobobs made a set for Combat Lancer F-111A's deployed from Nellis AFB Nevada 1969 era. Then Microscale and Superscale ,made sets from the pre-production YF-111A and F-111B. Repli-scale made sets from the 80's F-111's for Cannon AFB, RAF Lakenheath and RAF Upper Heyford. These were for all the 111's that were assigned to those bases. Carecal has a new CD48185 F-111E set, CD48111 FB-111A, CARB48001 F-111 intake details. Superscale has MS481240 F-111A, MS481245 F-111E 77th FS 20th FW before they left to come back to the US. So I am not sure how many are available at this time.

I have a lot of information of the F-111. If anybody on the forum needs any help let me know. Either PM or email me at [email protected]

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Edited by f111guru
  • Like 3