Fifer's fird!- Completed!

Fifer54

I realised I had an ideal candidate for this GB in my stash. It was this:

spacer.png

It's actually been started. Last night I had the Interior Green paint out for a different model in a Movie Stars GB elsewhere, and without thinking I painted all the interior areas onthis as well!

Oh, and the seat and joystick have been assembled to the cockpit. It doesn't constitute 25% complete, anyway!

Let me apologise now for the poor photography, my camera skills are at about the same level as my modelling skills!

The kit looks like this:

spacer.png

Monogram's simple instruction sheet . . .

spacer.png

It says in the instructions that a "realistic and attractive model can be completed without painting", which is good to know . . .

The single decal option is Col. James Howard's "Ding Hao!", but I may or may not use them . . .

spacer.png

The instruction sheet also suggests cutting the IP decal from the sheet and gluing it to the kit IP! If I don't use these decals, I'll build this as "Impatient Virgin" of the 376th FS, 361st FG.

This is an option on the Kits-World sheet I'm using for my P-51D build:

spacer.png

This little lot will keep me busy . . .

• Like 5

• Fifer54 changed the title to Fifer's fird!

Another good subject choice :thumbsup:  I was always a fan of Monogram kits and it'll be interesting to see how this one compares to your other Mustang project.

After a bit of thought, I've decided to build this as "Ding Hao!".

The thought of another natural metal finish, and painting invasion stripes, has put me off "Impatient Virgin!!

• Like 2

Some progress here, done some parts painting and a bit of assembly. There is detail on the inside of the fuselage, which is better than the total absence of any cockpit side detail in the HobbyBoss P-51D I building parallel to this . . .

spacer.png

Please excuse photo quality, I needed the flash to "pop" the detail! The interior doesn't look that pale under normal lighting!

• Like 3

Looks to be busy enough in there. The revelation that Monogram kits were to me after knowing only the bare interior of Arfix and Matchbox kits still sticks in my memory :) 

Looks to be busy enough in there. The revelation that Monogram kits were to me after knowing only the bare interior of Arfix and Matchbox kits still sticks in my memory :) 

I found that as well, Col. Pilots sitting on a peg in the fuselage! Why did that go on for so long?

Anyroadup, there's been progress here. Fuselage is closed up, filled where necessary and sanded, so that now it looks like this:

spacer.png

Wings next . . .

• Like 3

Thanks, Col. Yes, it's all going together well. A very slight "step" at the top cowling join, quickly taken care of with a little sanding and a smear of filler, and a little shrinkage of the parts along the bottom seam of the fuselage,soon rectified with a

little filler, slight gaps in the port wingroot and the nose cap. Otherwise great especially considering the age of the kit. . .

• Like 2

I keep forgetting to take photos of the progress on this. The basic airframe is complete now, I've painted and masked up for the white stripes on wings and tail, so the Olive Drab and Neutral Gray come next.

I'll be using Xtracolor WW2 Faded OD and Neutral Gray for this, applied by hairy stick.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Ooops! I continue to forget to photograph this as I build! She's well on the way now. Paint ✔️: Gloss coat✔️: Decals✔️: Matt coat✔️

spacer.png

Still lots to do. I think she'll need another matt coat next . . .

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Col. said:

Looking good. As is Chuck's X-1 in the frame there as well :) 

Thanks, Col.

The X-1 is for a "Movie Stars" GB elsewhere. Humbrol gloss Orange needs an awful lot of coats . . .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fifer54 said:

Thanks, Col.

The X-1 is for a "Movie Stars" GB elsewhere. Humbrol gloss Orange needs an awful lot of coats . . .

There's a few of the crew around here who advocate using a pink base coat for reds but not sure how that would work for an orange :hmmm:

• Fifer54 changed the title to Fifer's fird!- Completed!