SWMBO's P-51D, now completed!

Fifer54

For my second entry to this GB, I am once again working in 1/48 scale.

I will be building this:

spacer.png

but not in either of the kit's finishing schemes.

The kit looks like this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here are the decals, most of which I won't be using, although all those stencils appear enticing, but life's too short to apply all the stencils (except on a Phantom)

spacer.png

spacer.png

There is a nice glossy 4-view paint and decal guide:

spacer.png

The other side details the alternative scheme. The options supplied in the kit are "Missouri Armada" of the 362nd FS, 357th FG, 8th AF, and "Dooleybird" of No.19 Sqn, RAF.

However this model won't be using either of those options!

Here are the decals I'll be using . . .

spacer.png

My model will be finshed using the Kits-World decal sheet KW148178 as "Jan", of the 334th FS, 4th FG, flown by Lieut. Bob Dickmeyer with artwork by Don Powell. The artwork for "Jan"

was taken from a photo provided by the pilot.

I haven't actually been able to find a photo of "Jan", although there are several pix of "Blondie", which carried a very similar finish.

The reason for choosing "Jan" is that my SWMBO of 21 years is called Janice, and she is known to all as Jan.

I may also have a third entry to this GB, which may (or may not!) make use of the other option on this decal sheet

• Like 6

It's always good to see a project with a personal connection :) While marketed as an "Easy Assembly" kit this one still looks to have a nice level of detail included in the parts.

That's interesting. Sometime I intend to build my Airfix P-51D as a plane carrying my wife's initials - VF*B, but I have not got round to it yet.

Pete

There's been some good progress on this! She's nearly ready for paint.

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's it for today. Tomorrow I'm off into the city to get several shades and tones of "silver" paint, as well as some quality matt varnish . . .

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've started on the "silver" paint, in various shades and tones. I've not taken a photo because it's only a Mustang partly painted in different "silvers", so not a lot to show! When she's all silver, I'll take a pic!

Brush painting silver is very tedious . . .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Does your wife know of her namesake yet or are you keeping it as a surprise?

She knows about it, but she doesn't know it's finished! I'm very lucky in that she is very supportive of my hobby. As SWMBOs go, she's among the best! She actually wanted me to build "Jan" in a bigger scale, but my budget interfered with that.

also, you can't get the decals in 1/24th! She'll know shortly, I post a photo of every model completed, on my FaceBook page . . .

So, it's completed, here's a piccie, more very shortly in the gallery  . . .

p?i=cb44f36a72121e962e3b06e3a77108a9

• Like 2

• Fifer54 changed the title to SWMBO's P-51D, now completed!