BAF Fouga Magister - 1:72 Heller 1980

The Build:

Notes

• OOB,
  • Scratch built seatbelts,
  • BAF decals - Airfix 1975,
  • Re-scribed panel lines,
  • Paints used: Revell enamels/luminescent & acrylics, mr surfacer 1500 primer, mr mark setter & softer, old humbrol enamel, Klear, W&N artists water colours+oil paints, vallejo wash, Alclad,
  • Fading orange was done by first having an acrylic yellow base. Then removing the enamel orange by rubbing a brush with thinner over surface.

The result.... 😎🥳

IMGP0008c

IMGP0028c

IMGP0010c

IMGP0024c

IMGP0014c

IMGP0025c

IMGP0026c

IMGP0027c

IMGP0021c

IMGP0020c

IMGP0015c

IMGP0031c

IMGP0033c

IMGP0040c

IMGP0043c

IMGP0044c

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)
  • Like 44

6 hours ago, canberraman said:

A beautiful pair of Fougas and thanks for sharing that tip on how to get a faded dayglo orange - I will try that myself some day!

Mark

Good luck spraying dayglo. Its not easy, reason being it's semi opaque. So it takes many coats to built it up nicely. My plan was to sand it off lightly revealing the yellow but it was so thick.. i couldn't get through to the yellow. Using thinner was discovered by chance when i tried removing a stain 🙈

10 hours ago, AdriaN (MLT) said:
16 hours ago, Michael-S said:

Great job!👏 My favorite airplane

Me 2, I've fallen in-love 🥰 with the Magister!

Hmm Thinking of getting the Zephyr now?

I have a left over SH kit with African decals if it is useful for you? It just has a couple of minor parts missing. PM me if interested. It’s a beautiful kit :).

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wulfman said:

An excellent build and finish, unrecognisable as the ancient Heller kit !

Wulfman

Thanks ive developed a bit of a penchant for building these old 1:72 kits!  They are so crude and simple, they go together quickly. But when it comes to markings they are a disaster and very unclear.

Two beautiful builds. I recall many happy days at the Biggin Hill Air display back in the 60's and 70's watching the Belgian Red Devils fly their Fouga Magisters. The French Patrouille de France also had them at that time. Fantastic aircraft!

Terry

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

Looks great, the Heller kit has aged well, very impressed the Airfix decals went on so nicely. A superb build!

Colin

Why so Colin? Ive never had problems with Airfix 1975 & 1973 decals. They go on pretty easily and actually look "painted" on.

8 hours ago, AdriaN (MLT) said:

you seem to love luminescent orange finishes! Ill stay away from this colour for now :)

We’ll, Adrian, you did well with this dayglo finish :). The options on the SH kit cover a number of camo finishes too ;). The offer is there.

M

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2020 at 3:02 PM, Terry1954 said:

Two beautiful builds. I recall many happy days at the Biggin Hill Air display back in the 60's and 70's watching the Belgian Red Devils fly their Fouga Magisters. The French Patrouille de France also had them at that time. Fantastic aircraft!

Terry

Speaking of red devils, this aircraft - MT10, flew with the red devils and it crashed while flying in this team.

"13.05.65: Cat.5 Crash at Bevingen-Kerkom during a traning flight by the Red Devils-demoteam. The pilot, Kapt.vl. Roger Van D'Helsen, is unfortunately killed."

• Sad 1