HMS Griffin - G-class Destroyer, Atlantic Models 1/350

robgizlu

On 3/26/2021 at 9:47 PM, socjo1 said:

Once again sorry, Rob.

I don't mean to pry, but OK if we are all great modeller's family... Then tell me one thing, please.

Is this item you showed us related to :think: ekhm, ekhm... maritime modelling really?

WQ6xRuw.jpg

Regards, Michał

Hi Michal - in modelling terms this is now a generation past.  With Atlantic Models you seem to get an excellent resin hull with first rate photo-etch but the white metal "bits" just underline the limits of modelling in white metal.  I note that Mike McCabe's new Bangor Class minesweeper will come with 3D printed parts from Black Cat Models.  

I think we'll come to take for granted the marvellous detail that 3D printing has recently offered.  Let's not forget that it's only been available the past several years.

Rob

• Like 4

This is coming up beautifully.  I had White Ensign's Glow worm years ago and didn't build it because so many of the resin kits didn't look like they were all that convincing. However you seem to have achieved a really good result here.

• Like 1

So Those who have followed my past builds know that it is customary to have a Close Down Build summary thread.

The RFI is here 

And if RFI is not your thing, then this is what it turned out like..

2021 03 29_2584

2021 03 29_2635 (2)

Review Summary

Atlantic Models HMS Glowworm "G" Class Destroyer 1/350

The hull is a beautful moulded waterline resin piece with a full below-waterline part in addition.  There were no flaws on mine and no filling was necessary.  Same goes for the superstructure that needed a minumum of whittling to get to the G Class bridge.  HMS Glowworm and HMS Griffin were structurally similar  +/or identical.  The kit comes with all you need excepting decals.  The ship's boats and 4" guns being resin moulded cannot hope to achieve the detail that is now possible and indeed routine with 3D printed items.  Barrels and other parts are white metal and the previous comments apply, only more so.   However the photo-etch is a delight and fit was perfect in all instances.  The instructions are line drawn and adequate though I needed extra info as to placement of various items on occasion.  There are some free source plans of Glowworm on t'interweb.  The end result speaks for itself as to the essentail soundness of the basic kit.  The addition of aftemarket 3D printed items in the forms of weapons, boats, rafts etc allow superdetailing that the kit deserves.  It's a shame that we don't see more of Peter Hall's destroyer builds, and I hope this WIP will have awakened interest especially with the 3D pimping that is now so accessible.  I'm not the slightest bit surprised to hear that the new Starling Models Bangor class minesweeper will feature 3D printed parts from Black Cat Models.  My belief is that we'll see more of this.

Highly recommended.

MicroMaster 3D printed parts

The 4" guns, 0.5in Quad machine guns, torpedo tubes, rafts , ships boats, searchlight, anchors and barge alongside are all courtesy of Simon Percival at Micromaster.  You could nrt improve upon the level of detail that really comes into it's own at this scale.  The boats are each models in their own right.  You know I'm a fan and I'll rest happy if I've gone some way to highlight the products on this site.  Modelling in 1/350 would for me at least, be a lot less rewarding without this level of detail.

Highly recommended

Black Cat Models 3D printed parts

I stumbled across Micromaster first but Black Cat Models tie for equal place in their provision of 3D parts for us RN modellers.  In addition Ben Druel has released 3D printed ships, such as Flower Class Corvettes that judging by availability seem to be selling well.  I'm really looking forwards to the release of his LCI (large) 3D printed vessels later this year.  Expect at least 3 to drop on the Matthews door mat!  This build features - The Gun director, 10in searchlights - depth charges and throwers, fire buckets, paravanes and my absolute faves - the lifebuoys (Buoy we needed them :rolleyes:).  I'm hoping Ben will do some RN 3D figures soon, (he has promised), and with a bit of luck they'll be in attire other than No 1 Dress.  Lets have some figures in Duffle coats, life preservers, steel helmets and overalls etc!  Merci Ben.

Highly recommended

North Star figures

They are really nicely moulded, are an absolute pain to free from the sprue and are not cheap.  That said - North Star are now quoting a flat shipping fee of 10 euros.  Currently, really the only option in town.

Recommended

Painting and Weathering

You've heard it all before - Sovereign Colourcoats.  Easy to spray and brush, accurate colours that look just...right.  At the risk of offensding Jamie, the only real drawback is availability.  I hope that now that Sovereign have rationlized their business, supply throughout the range will become more constant.  If it was IMHO, you'd all stop using acrylics and Humbrol.

Weathering was very light using Iindustrial dirt and Starship filth oils and Mig productions "Light Rust effects".

Rigging

Infini Black lycra rigging in 20 and 40 dernier weights with Bob's Buckles.  The masts were Master coming from 1/350 and 1/700 sets.  Can't have enogh about

Base/Seascape

Using Chris Flodberg techniques, the SBS is covered within the WIP.  Suffice to say that Liquitex "Gloss medium & Varnish" and Liquitex "High Gloss Varnish" are your special friends.

Name Plate 

Who else but "Name It".

Thanks again for all your likes, comments and advice.  Once again special thanks to @dickrd who saved me from making a bottom of myself by painting the bridge surrounds wood ("I could have sworn ........:rofl2:)

Rob

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

I already have written in the RfI thread that the model is a first class. Now I finally've found time to read the whole WiP - which is very intersting and informative.

I have a question - would 1940 Norway Glowworm have similar deck colours or the corticene only would be correct? This build has inspired me to build a IBG 1/700 kit and I want to make it in Norwegian campaign scheme. On the other hand, the "H" class destroyers from the famous Warburton-Lee Flotilla would be quite similar, won't they?

Edited by GrzeM
typo correction
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GrzeM said:

I already have written in the RfI thread that the model is a first class. Now I finally've found tome to read the whole WiP - which is very intersting and informative.

I have a question - would 1940 Norway Glowworm have similar deck colours or the corticene only would be correct? This build has inspired me to build a IBG 1/700 kit and I want to make it in Norwegian campaign scheme. On the other hand, the "H" class destroyers from the famous Warburton-Lee Flotilla would be quite similar, won't they?

Hi - I dont think we'll ever know for certain but i think the belief is that by 1940 most of these G Class vessels would have had semtex deck coverings - there again No-one is going to prove you wrong;)

My understanding is that the H Class was very similar

Thanks for your kind comments

Rob

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...