HMS Griffin - G-class Destroyer, Atlantic Models 1/350

robgizlu

8 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I think it's the Boxy thing with the unpainted railings sitting on top in the above pic.

:rofl:The above pic, there are loads of pics but I think you mean the 'boxy thing' with the mast sticking out of its roof?

Consistent quality build work there Rob. Keep it up.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

It's a sign of the UK lockdown....that if you don't post for a week, you find your blog on page 2 :lol:

The maritine section along with the AFV really seems to be a lot busier which is rather marvellous.

Ok enough of the bonnes pensés

These are a really nice touch - there are name boards for all vessels of the G - class of destroyers.  

2021 02 15_1319

They are painted - (Light rust in this instance) and then just rubbed with a finger to highlight the embossed script.  Diolch Mr Hall!

A big day in that I had 6 unfettered hours :elephant:

so it was .........Rigging.

I just took delivery of some Infini 20 Dernier "Ultra Fine" and it makes a difference.  All the signal halyards are done with this

2021 02 15_1318

I wish I could claim it was all calm and professional - sadly there were Elton John moments :rofl2:  You'll see I cheat with those little white completely un-scale like "knobs".  Impossible otherwise.

The mast stays are Infini 40 Dernier with of course "Bob's Buckles", lets have a round of applause to that Fine Fella :clap2:

It's amaziing how the rigging transforms the shape into a "ship"

After studying all the pics I could find at max blow up in Windaz (dedicated to Beefy, that one), it seems that although HMS Glowworm is often depicted in model form with lines going from fore and aft flagstaffs to the masts and lines running between fore and Mizen masts, for others of the class - they were absent and the commonest finding is ?aeriel liines from fore sloping back to mizen mast.  I stand to be corrected.

2021 02 15_1312

2021 02 15_1313

2021 02 15_1314

Porthoes were filled throughout using Krystal Klear and an accupuncture needle - if you don't have any accupuncture needles - you really need to get some off E-Bay - Thanks for that one Jamie - invaluable for placement of CA glue - PVA etc etc

2021 02 15_1311

I anticipated some problems mounting boats on the Davits but all went without drama.....which was nice

2021 02 15_1316

The aft superstructure was completed in that it had railings fitted around the mast area and the steps and platform were added.  In addition you can see railings have been added to the  aft port side and to both bows - (I did say big day!)

I spent a fair bit of time with the railings on the searchlight platform and am pleased enough that I'm not going to cover them with canvas dodger material - Yes - I know it's against all the pics :blush:

They've been painted and will be fitted before I complete the starboard side railings.

And lastly another Thankyou to @Ex-FAAWAFU Crisp, for this tip about the Tamiya diamond file.  I have files - but this has made SUCH a difference with etch - why didn't someone tell my years ago and save all that Aggro :whistle:

2021 02 15_1315

YOU really need one!

The finishing line is in sight

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Well it looks like someone has had a good day did you have to come up for air many times during the rigging marathon.  :hypnotised:

Very neat work Rob

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Well it looks like someone has had a good day did you have to come up for air many times during the rigging marathon.  :hypnotised:

Very neat work Rob

Stay Safe

beefy

:lol::lol: - Locked away all day - No fitness - surfaced for air to cook tea.

1 hour ago, JohnWS said:

Looking awesome Rob! :speak_cool:

Can you remind me about what glue you're using to attach the handrails?

John

John - I tend to use Loctite Gel as my go to CA glue and attach the rail at key points.

2021 02 15_1320

I then use the Gator's Grip thinned down with water to a milkey consistency and "paint" it along the base of the railing - It's what the books say to do and initially I didn't have much success but that was proably using Trumpeter etch that is far heavier and unforgiving than Peter Halls.  I find the accupuncture needles essential for applying the CA glue in these situations

BTW - Gator's Grip has apparently stopped being made - which is a crying shame - there is none this side of the pond - if you can get hold of some in the US - strongly recommend you grab anything that's going - it's much superior ro Mig Ammo's version or any other PVA-type glue I've used.  get the "thin blend" if there's a choice.  If anyone knows of an alternative that they have found just as good - PLEASE let me know - this is my last bottle :violin:

Despite all of the above the Starboard side railing just wouldn't sit so CA glue was used for the whole of that side - I occasionally use liq CA to run in the base joint if I need strength at a curve etc

The biggest problem with railings is that you get a limited chance to practice :nerd:

39 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Who's been a busy boy! She's looking vry nice with the string on. I do have a diamond file but a flat one, haven't the use for a round...

Stuart

Just as Crisp says - the best £9 I've spent for some considerable time!

Thanks for looking in Fellas

Stay Safe (and warm)

Rob

• Like 2

Very productive day! Excellent rigging, and another (can't have too many) tool to add on the shopping list. 

Looks a lot finer than the set of diamond files I got from Macro before they went bust. 

Geoff 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

BTW - Gator's Grip has apparently stopped being made - which is a crying shame - there is none this side of the pond - if you can get hold of some in the US - strongly recommend you grab anything that's going - it's much superior ro Mig Ammo's version or any other PVA-type glue I've used.  get the "thin blend" if there's a choice.  If anyone knows of an alternative that they have found just as good - PLEASE let me know - this is my last bottle :violin:

Modelling Tools has Thin Blend at £700 a bottle. Oh wait - sold out. Oh well.

Seriously, big loss if that is the case

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

... I tend to use Loctite Gel as my go to CA glue and attach the rail at key points.

I then use the Gator's Grip thinned down with water to a milkey consistency and "paint" it along the base of the railing - It's what the books say to do and initially I didn't have much success but that was proably using Trumpeter etch that is far heavier and unforgiving than Peter Halls.  I find the accupuncture needles essential for applying the CA glue in these situations ...

Rob, thanks for the advice regarding the types of glue.  I haven't seen Gator's Grip glue here locally & it's not available on Amazon.  In the past, I've applied white PVA glue diluted in water with a brush to fill small gaps, after glueing parts together with CA glue.  It dries clear & can be sanded & painted.  I don't have any experience with PE handrails, so I'll need to do some experimentation.

I seem to remember that beefy mentioned he paints the handrails before gluing them in place.  Do you do the same?

John

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JohnWS said:

I seem to remember that beefy mentioned he paints the handrails before gluing them in place.  Do you do the same?

John

John - I prime them with "One shot Mig Ammo" primer whilst on the fret and sometimes do a light spray of base colour, though the stanchions invariably need repainting when "planted".

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So this build got sidelined as I waited for deliveries of mundane items like anchors.  There is no comparison between an etch and a 3D moulded item (courtesy of Micromaster)

2021 03 25_2552

A similar reflection on paravanes from top to bottom - Black Cat, RJM, and Atlantic models

2021 03 25_2551

And another item that I think is near indispensible and were very hard to come by previously - Lifebouys!!  (courtesy of Black Cat)

2021 03 25_2550

Which leads us to that other thorny item - Figures.  To date, to my mind North Star have been the only game in town, though previously with a punitive charge for postage, the equal of the figures themselves and a 16/52+ delivery time last occasion I ordered.

Michal @socjo1 alerted us all to "ION Models" figures available from Jadar Hobby in Poland, there's no dedicated ION model site that I can find.

So here they are...presented as "Chilling on deck" ............yes quite.

2021 03 25_2542

You get 70 separate figures on 5 separate sprues.  There are 2 copies of each "pose" and they are all apparently in No 1 Dress

2021 03 25_2547

2021 03 25_2549

2021 03 25_2548

They are moulded with head attached to the sprue and one further attachment to the mid back, alltogether more satisfactory than the north Star figures that are moulded feet down.  Removing the ION figures with a new No 11 S&M blade was painless and there was only decapitation in 20 figures, a much lower attrition rate than for the notoriously hard to remove and brittle North Star figures.  There is a certain amount of give in the resin.  

Poses are varied and interesting and detail appears good.

You can all feel a BUT coming can't you.............

Compared to the North Star figures they are considerably under scale.

Here are some comparisons

2021 03 25_2543

Here's the ION offering

2021 03 25_2544

And the comparison again with the North Star figure

2021 03 25_2545

Measuring each and using the incredibly useful "Online Scale converter toolhttp://www.scalemodelersworld.com/online-scale-converter-tool.html The ION figures come out at just over 5feet high and the North Star 5.9 ft high  

This brings us to a debate often had around 1/35 scale figures as to acceptability of height variation, which I completely get.  However for me the variation between ION and North Star is too great to really display both together.  Whilst some RN sailors might have been 5ft tall, clearly not all would have been.  

IMHO the ION figures better suit a scale of 1/400 rather than 1/350 which is a real shame.

So for yours truly it's back to North Star who at least (when I looked on the site this AM) have dropped their postal charge to a a flat 10Euros.

Ben Druel at Black Cat has promised some RN figures and it's to be hoped that he, Simon at MM or some other will produce some RN figures in duffle coats, with Life preservers on, in steel helmets and Non uniform attire etc etc.

RFI of Griffin up soon when I find some spare moments to finish the detailing

• Like 2

Ahh, the joys of incorrect scale. Even with body size difference, when figures are far enough off in scale, you can see it. Not as big of a deal in more popular scales with all of the options available, but, with less populated scales figure wise it can be quite frustrating. 

Matt

• Like 1

Dear Rob, 

I am very sorry to hear about it.🙁

I didn't want mislead anybody. I have read ION figure's in-box analysys earlier and it seemed quite meritorical, well-balanced and objective. Unofrtunately author did't mention about figure's wrong dimension...

I haven't any connection with this company, but I will try write them and show your comparision and analysis, who knows maybe they change size...

Once more sorry,

Michał.

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, socjo1 said:

Dear Rob, 

I am very sorry to hear about it.🙁

I didn't want mislead anybody. I have read ION figure's in-box analysys earlier and it seemed quite meritorical, well-balanced and objective. Unofrtunately author did't mention about figure's wrong dimension...

I haven't any connection with this company, but I will try write them and show your comparision and analysis, who knows maybe they change size...

Once more sorry,

Michał.

Hi Michal - You didn't mislead anybody!  Please don't take anything I've said as criticism.  It was great to hear about them - and it's just my personal view about the size.   

I really valued the "heads- up".   Keep the news and information flowing :)

Best

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once again sorry, Rob.

I don't mean to pry, but OK if we are all great modeller's family... Then tell me one thing, please.

Is this item you showed us related to :think: ekhm, ekhm... maritime modelling really?

WQ6xRuw.jpg

:giggle:

Regards, Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1

It's a little difficult to tell from the photographs but the ION figures look to be 5mm or so tall in your photo Rob which equates to 5ft 9in whereas NS look to be about 5.3 which is a fraction over 6 ft.  I think the difference is that the NS ones look like Arnold Schwarzanegger whereas the ION ones look a bit puny and perhaps need to eat some more spinach! 

I must admit that it is the same frustration with the lack of availability of figures in this scale that led me to design my own for 3D printing.  They're not as detailed as either of the ones here, but when they're only 5 mm or so tall, I think I can get away with it.  We'll know soon when I start painting them! 

Mind you, if when I'd been either in command or XO I'd seen any of my sailors adopting some of the poses seen in the ION set, they would have felt the wrath of my tongue!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1