HMS Griffin - G-class Destroyer, Atlantic Models 1/350

robgizlu

With the 8 month long build of County Class Cruisers coming to an end, it's time to move on.

HMS Griffin - H31 will be the next, using the Atlantic models HMS Glowworm as base kit.

HMS Griffin was one of 8 "G" Class destroyers, the most famous of which is HMS Glowworm due to it's fatal David and Goliath encounter with Admiral Hipper.

Griffin was launched in 1935 and took part in the Norwegiain campaign early in the war before being transfered to the Mediterranean.  She was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy in early 1943 and renamed HMCS Ottowa, seeing action at D-day and surviviing the war only to be scrapped in 1946.

The G-Class was similar to the D and E classes before and the H and I classes that came after.  

Here are some pre war pictures that highlight her graceful lines

HMS GRIFFIN

Scan0021

She'll be portrayed in a paint scheme that she wore in lat3 1939/early 1940.  There's a profile in Raven's "Warship Perspectives - Camouflage volume One".

Scan0011

I've not been able to corroborate this profile with any wartime photographs.  I have presumed that the colours are 507C and 507A (darker).  There are pictures of her sister ships Garland and Grenade for a similar time period that closley resemble the type of scheme and this rather simple 2 colour scheme was common at early war.  If anyone does have pictures - I'd be delighted to see them.

Raven mentions that HMS Garland wore a visual IFF symbol on her foredeck consisting of a Type C1 RAF-type roundel.  He postulates that others may have worn similar and this is a conceit that I'll use - Griffin will have a C1 roundel.  It will add visual interest ;)

Scan C1 roundel

References will include the aforementioned book , my favourite of the whole series and the hardest to currently come by.  I do hope that Dick @dickrd and @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies will have a go at a more up to date publiction at some stage to highlight their wealth of research and re-interpretation of many wartime colour schemes.

2020 11 23_0734_edited-1

2020 11 23_0732_edited-1

So let's examine the kit first which comes as HMS Glowworm.  I'm not aware of any major structural differences between the 2 vessels.  Glowworm comes with Pentad torpedo tubes which she alone trialled.  Micromaster supply quad tubes.

2020 11 23_0733

It's my first Resin kit and my first Atlantic models offering.  The moulding is top notch and the hull comes as either water-line or full-hull - your choice.  I'm going for waterline and like Berwick - she'll be at anchor

2020 11 23_0727

2020 11 23_0722

There'll be a Micromaster 45ft launch alongside for visual interest - Thanks to Tom and Richard E for pointing me the way of steam tug Simla which is tempting but I feel will detract from the overall impact of Griffin.

Those of you who are familiar with Peter Hall kits will appreciate the style of line drawn instructions

Scan0018

and comprehensive Photoetch....

Scan0017

The superstructure parts are resiin and the smaller detailed parts - white metal

2020 11 23_0728

2020 11 23_0729

Micromaster will have a big look-in including with more detailed replacement 4.7in guns

2020 11 23_0723

Pennant numbers will come from the Atlantic models decal sheet

2020 11 23_0731

And I obtained an Xtradecal sheet of C1 roundels - the only one that does a "C1" roundel that small.  Sadly the C1 roundels are significantly out of register.  I've ordered another sheet to see if it's replicated and if it is I'll have to think of an alternative :hmmm:

2020 11 23_0730

There are some immediate problems apparent with simple dry- fitting - the Micromaster turrets impact the superstructure overhang........

2020 11 23_0725

And the first order of business will be to shave and remove the bulwarks on the superstructure as they appear on the bridge part - the reason being that the superstructure spans across several generic destroyer classes

2020 11 23_0726

I don't expect any other major problems.

If anyone has any serious qualms about the (unsubstantiated ) colour scheme or the IFF roundel, now's the time to shout!

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 19

23 hours ago, Starspell said:

Looks like a lot of work. At 1/350 I guess everything is tiny!!  How long is the hull just to give an idea of scale?

Hi Steve

It's 28cm long - roughly half the length of HMS Berwick .

16 hours ago, longshanks said:

A change of pace Rob?

Gone from a back to back marathon to a enjoyable jog

As always looking forward to seeing the Master at work

Avoid the numpties and stay safe

Kev

Hi Kev 

I never intended the County class build to be so long - it growed a bit...... like Mopsy!

Half the issue here is to get some experience of bases and seascapes (a la Flodberg) ;)

3 hours ago, beefy66 said:

I am sure you will enjoy this kit Rob and looking forward to seeing the progress  :popcorn:

Stay Safe

beefy

Thanks Beefy

I've watched you all with Atlantic Models and wanted to have ago myself!

Impressive moulding on the resin main ship parts; the Micromaster 3d prints improve upon the boats and guns.

More soon

Rob

• Like 4

It is always difficult to absolutely prove a negative in a situation like this but here is the evidence against that WP Vol 1 pattern having been on Griffin 1939-1940:

1.       There is an early war note on an Admiralty file discussing camouflage that records that only two of the G Class Flotilla, Grenville and Grenade, received pattern camouflage. Grenville’s is recorded as dark and light grey (ie HFG/Med grey or 507A/507C in our parlance) and Grenade dark and light grey and stone.

2.       We are told in Griffin's history at naval-history.net that it was Grenade and Griffin that rescued the survivors of Grenville when she sank in January 1940. In this magazine’s news item’s two photos of that rescue there was a patterned destroyer beyond Grenville’s bow and an unpatterned destroyer. We know from the Admiralty file and from the series of Life photos taken at Harwich shortly before hand that Grenade was definitely in that pattern, so if only two destroyers were present with Grenville when she sank, the unpatterned destroyer would be Griffin  (a link to a photo of a page of a magazine article showing two photos of the rescue).

My suspicion is that the illustration in WP1 is based on a misidentified photo of Grenade. I think the most likely scheme on Griffin in 1939 until her November repairs would have been dark hull/light upperworks like many of the other G Class destroyers.

I suspect that she adopted overall Home Fleet grey when she was repaired. There is a British destroyer in overall HFG nested beside and beyond Grenade in the background of one of the Life photos of Grenville at Harwich c Jan 1940 which I strongly suspect was Griffin as she was the only other non-Polish destroyer in her division of the Flotilla at Harwich at that time: (a link to a Life photo of Grenville at Harwich)

I think that she then adopted dark hull light upperworks on return to the Med (Gibraltar) in the summer of 1940. (The photo at the top of the Naval History page shows her at Alexandria later in 1940).

I am of course very happy to be proved wrong if photos of her can be found from the Sept 1939 – mid July 1940 period!

The roundel is visible in various photos I have of various ships early war. All show the roundel as per WP Vol 1 with a much wider white circle than those on your decal sheet (another link, this time to IWM photo TR 94).

It must have been officially ordered sometime. However CAFO 681 dated 2 May 1940 mentions the decision to abolish them in the sense that the roundels had been abolished by then.

(Sorry cannot get the links to my photos to work. Not had this problem before...)

Edited by dickrd
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks really interesting Rob. 

The Micromaster stuff looks brilliant. Makes me want to build a floaty thing. 

Umm, for the roundel, why wouldn't you just paint it? The small size might make masking difficult, but, the small size may also mean you can use a punch to get the circles you'd need which would make it easier... I think. 

Matt

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dickrd said:

It is always difficult to absolutely prove a negative in a situation like this but here is the evidence against that WP Vol 1 pattern having been on Griffin 1939-1940:

1.       There is an early war note on an Admiralty file discussing camouflage that records that only two of the G Class Flotilla, Grenville and Grenade, received pattern camouflage. Grenville’s is recorded as dark and light grey (ie HFG/Med grey or 507A/507C in our parlance) and Grenade dark and light grey and stone.

2.       We are told in Griffin's history at naval-history.net that it was Grenade and Griffin that rescued the survivors of Grenville when she sank in January 1940. In this magazine’s news item’s two photos of that rescue there was a patterned destroyer beyond Grenville’s bow and an unpatterned destroyer. We know from the Admiralty file and from the series of Life photos taken at Harwich shortly before hand that Grenade was definitely in that pattern, so if only two destroyers were present with Grenville when she sank, the unpatterned destroyer would be Griffin  (a link to a photo of a page of a magazine article showing two photos of the rescue).

My suspicion is that the illustration in WP1 is based on a misidentified photo of Grenade. I think the most likely scheme on Griffin in 1939 until her November repairs would have been dark hull/light upperworks like many of the other G Class destroyers.

I suspect that she adopted overall Home Fleet grey when she was repaired. There is a British destroyer in overall HFG nested beside and beyond Grenade in the background of one of the Life photos of Grenville at Harwich c Jan 1940 which I strongly suspect was Griffin as she was the only other non-Polish destroyer in her division of the Flotilla at Harwich at that time: (a link to a Life photo of Grenville at Harwich)

I think that she then adopted dark hull light upperworks on return to the Med (Gibraltar) in the summer of 1940. (The photo at the top of the Naval History page shows her at Alexandria later in 1940).

I am of course very happy to be proved wrong if photos of her can be found from the Sept 1939 – mid July 1940 period!

The roundel is visible in various photos I have of various ships early war. All show the roundel as per WP Vol 1 with a much wider white circle than those on your decal sheet (another link, this time to IWM photo TR 94).

It must have been officially ordered sometime. However CAFO 681 dated 2 May 1940 mentions the decision to abolish them in the sense that the roundels had been abolished by then.

(Sorry cannot get the links to my photos to work. Not had this problem before...)

Dick - many thanks and I was hoping you'd comment.  I'm not entirely surprised at your conclusions.  There is a real paucity of pictures of early war destroyers and I'm conscious there's been a debate about Glowworm's livery at the time of her sinking.  I follow all of your arguments and whilst I haven't been able to source the pictures you cite - the conclusions are rational and compelling. 

So my choices are pre-war 507C, early war 507Ahull/507C upper structure - etc.  

Thanks for your guidance on the roundel - I'd rather set my mind on one!  You are right - I need to source the inter-year Type A roundel.  I wasn't aware of the the IWM pic of the roundel onthe Foc'sle - which is fab.

Are you aware of when these roundels might have appeared?

I presume pennant colours would be white or light grey?

Finally - would Griffin have worn a funnel band early war as she did in the pre-war pics and if so would red be the colour?

I am very keen not to perpetuate spurious schemes and add to a false colour mythology.

I am indebted once again and salute your fabulous erudition :clap2:

9 hours ago, Matt Parvis said:

Looks really interesting Rob. 

The Micromaster stuff looks brilliant. Makes me want to build a floaty thing. 

Umm, for the roundel, why wouldn't you just paint it? The small size might make masking difficult, but, the small size may also mean you can use a punch to get the circles you'd need which would make it easier... I think. 

Matt

Matt - great to have you drop by.  The MM stuff is even better up close and is one of the reasons 1/350 modelling is currently such a buzz!

Yup - agree about the painting - It can be done using the office sticky circles that you can buy and I have a variety which I got to do "Mickey Mouse" Brit WW2 camouflage.  bt it' a faff and as you know I'm lazy - I'd prefer a decal

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm in for this one as well Rob. Great choice of subject (both the Destroyer itself, and an Atlantic kit) and some lovely extras to  go with it.

Terry

Thanks Terry 

Let's hope I do it justice!

Rob

• Like 4

Rob,

Ah, no, the reason Griffin (and Glowworm) were in dark hull/light upperworks early war is because these were their pre-war colours in the Med from the Munich Crisis (September 1938) onwards. This is the scheme that the 1st (G Class) Flotilla was wearing when (less Garland which stayed in the Med until September 1940) they were recalled home immediately after the outbreak of war. Griffin would only have been in overall 507C from commissioning June 1936 until September 1938.

So in that 1938 -1939 dark hull/light upperworks scheme Griffin had black pendant numbers and red flotilla band like the rest of her flotilla at that time.

On repainting to overall HFG in November 1939 I am confident that she retained black pendant numbers and that the red flotilla band on her aft funnel was then picked out with white edging. She remained 1st Flotilla until the summer of 1940. To my mind it is a racing certainty that the big white false bow wave seen in the late 1940 photo of her at Alexandria was then added to her hull in the spring of 1940 whilst she was in home waters, like those worn on so many other destroyers and light cruisers in the North Sea at that time.

So far I have found no information re exactly when the roundels were first authorised. I am also searching my photo collection to see which is the earliest precisely datable photo I have showing one. At the moment it's 25 November 1939 but that is, inconveniently for you, six days after Griffin went in for those repairs in November when I think she repainted to overall HFG. I'll come back on this if I find anything more. 

Best wishes for you build!

Edited by dickrd
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2020 at 9:30 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Nice subject; any room for a WAFU near the back?

Delighted to have you aboard Crisp!

On 11/26/2020 at 9:36 AM, dickrd said:

Rob,

Ah, no, the reason Griffin (and Glowworm) were in dark hull/light upperworks early war is because these were their pre-war colours in the Med from the Munich Crisis (September 1938) onwards. This is the scheme that the 1st (G Class) Flotilla was wearing when (less Garland which stayed in the Med until September 1940) they were recalled home immediately after the outbreak of war. Griffin would only have been in overall 507C from commissioning June 1936 until September 1938.

So in that 1938 -1939 dark hull/light upperworks scheme Griffin had black pendant numbers and red flotilla band like the rest of her flotilla at that time.

On repainting to overall HFG in November 1939 I am confident that she retained black pendant numbers and that the red flotilla band on her aft funnel was then picked out with white edging. She remained 1st Flotilla until the summer of 1940. To my mind it is a racing certainty that the big white false bow wave seen in the late 1940 photo of her at Alexandria was then added to her hull in the spring of 1940 whilst she was in home waters, like those worn on so many other destroyers and light cruisers in the North Sea at that time.

So far I have found no information re exactly when the roundels were first authorised. I am also searching my photo collection to see which is the earliest precisely datable photo I have showing one. At the moment it's 25 November 1939 but that is, inconveniently for you, six days after Griffin went in for those repairs in November when I think she repainted to overall HFG. I'll come back on this if I find anything more. 

Best wishes for you build!

Once again Thanks Dick, hugely helpful - I had assumed she'd come back from the med in 507C

So in essence she shared Glowworm's scheme, very elegantly portrayed in Jamie's profile.. and thanks for permission to share here

72654117_2767765283247640_1140435884353519616_o

I had a day of clean up yesterday with the shaving of the bridge superstructure coming first.  Clean up needed was minimal.

2020 11 28_0742

2020 11 28_0743

2020 11 28_0737

2020 11 28_0735

2020 11 28_0736

There re no details on the doors that are presented as raised "blocks".  This ship was built in 1935 and according to Ough the "WW1" doorswere used up till 1929 and "Scalloped" after.

Scan0022

However close scrutiny of the pics show another design which is unscalloped.  It doesn't appear on the WEM etch sheet of doors.  Some research shows that Infini do aset of RN doors that include designs other than those portrayed above

So a delivery from Mr Duff's Emporium Sovereign Hobbies is winging it's way to see if they are right and proper - size wise etc.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Styrofoam base  was cut using the "Yellow" type from 4D Model making materials https://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Raw-Materials/Styrofoam.  They also sell a "Foam Knife" which comes with a 5cm blade (Woodland Scenics derived).  I use a kitchen blow torch to heat the blade and then cut along a metal rule for straight edges.  4D also sell the "tougher" dark grey styrofoam which comes with a textured surface and whilst it's more robust to handle seems less user friendly to mould.

2020 12 06_0753

It's easy to file away any imperfections in the edge.

This scene will mimic Berwick with the ship moored on a buoy, servicing boat alongside

2020 12 06_0752

As you can see - new roundels arrived in the background!

I built up the ship base with some card to allow for the Acrylic "Gloss medium and Varnish" wavelets that might raise the overall height

2020 12 06_0751

2020 12 06_0750

The Infini set arrived from Jamie's and has caused more problems than it's sorted - in the sense that it contains porthole/scuttles that are crying out to be used.  I'm on a journeey with 1/350 modelling.  I looked for some for the Kent/Berwick builds but none were to be had for RN in 1/350.  You only have to check out Crisp's build https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235057218-sink-the-bismarck-hms-ark-royal-26-may-1941/page/57/#comments to see how effctive they can be.  There aren't enough in the Infini set to do the whole hull. 

I looked again and came across these and whilst not strictly accurate, they are close enough so several sets are winging their way - delivery date uncertain so that's going to put a temporary hold on hull progress...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shipyardworks-1-350-General-Porthole-T35006/184009289369?hash=item2ad7ceee99:g:qX8AAOSwmXtds7bB

s-l1600

If I've missed a source for another RN supply of portholes/Scuttles (what's the correct name?) then please Shout-Out!

I'm happy that the "doors" within the Infini set are the right size for Peter Hall's blank "plugs".  They need shaving off, and in the case of the 2 on the bridge tht's not easy:closedeyes:

2020 12 06_0746

A Micro-chisel is your special friend!!

2020 12 06_0747

2020 12 06_0748

There are 4 to shave off on the main superstructure 

2020 12 06_0749

So .....this blog may lapse temporarily waiting for portholes to arrive in abundance.  If you are after some - act quickly as there don't seem to be many left.

Thanks for looking 

Rob

• Like 12

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

So .....this blog may lapse temporarily waiting for portholes to arrive in abundance.  If you are after some - act quickly as there don't seem to be many left.

Thanks for looking 

Rob

Rob, one question just in case you will be bore during waiting for scuttles. ;)

Will you do something with with these monoblocks around bridgee's top edge?

Model part is somewhat (un)inspiring...

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

2020 12 06_0748

Meanwhile on HMCS Ottawa H60 (C class destroyer, ex - Crusader)

OTT0080.jpg

the OTT0073.jpg

the same C-class (HMCS Restigouche H00 ca. 43), bridge from below (1940, 1943):

RES0029.jpg

RES0095.jpg  

One question: in 1945 it had rearranged windbreakers:

RES0046.jpg

from beloved webpage:

http://www.forposterityssake.ca/Navy/HMCS_OTTAWA_H60.htm

PS. No offence, no sugesting, just only asking :whistle:

But when you close your eyes, you can sometimes hear the old song among sound of breaking waves:

shave his belly with a rusty razor

early in the morning!

😉

I found lot of destroyer's very good photos in this book:

OWS044.jpg

The book is in written in polish but contains lot of interesting,good and big photos (however - all siluette wievs only).  We have there 2 another photos of Griffin too. (in pre war all grey camo).

Do you know Flyhawk's set: WWII RN British Navy Sundry Box FH350107 ?

It contains boxes in two sizes and very nice signal-map shelves. I used it in my Castle corvette.

Best regards,

Michal

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Michal - I understand what you are saying but I'm going to be a coward and leave them ( The bridge searchlight "monoblocs").  They'll look OK printed up.  Ironically I have multiple signal-map shelves left over from Kent/Berwick and yes I'm familiar with the Flyhwk set.  I'm more excited about the Black Cat deck accessories that you mentioned and I found on their Facebook page.  Theyll be useful.

Let the record show that these arrived within 10/7 from China immediately pre-Xmas despite a ststed delivery time of 1/12! 

2020 12 16_0758

I'm constantly struck by the difference in postage with items from China costing Very little to post and items from others such as the US being eye-wateringly high.  No surprise whose trade is increasing.  We've ben used to reasonable postal rates within Europe - I wonder what will happen now that we are "outside".  In a simialr vein, I'm pateintly waitign for the Trumpeter C Class Cruiser HMS Calcutta that reached France, italy and Germany over 6 weeks ago.  Nada for UK - why???

The portholes are rather fiine.

2020 12 16_0759

2021 01 04_1114

2020 12 16_0760

There are 77 per side.  My heart reaches out to Crisp @Ex-FAAWAFU who has done many many more!

I'm not certain what method he uses, but after trial and error I find the following most useful

1) Cut from fret - No 11 blade

2)  Dab some "Klear" on over the hole (I first paint black) with a brush

3)  Use a cocktail stick with a "wetted" tip to pick the porthole up and gently plae over the hole

4)  If necessary use the tip of the stick to "centre" the porthole by simply sticking the stick into the "hole"

2021 01 04_1111

2020 12 16_0761

I think they do make a difference and in hindsight it's a shame they weren't availbale for the County Class.

Unlike the Berwick bse this one will hve riplets and chop versus calm.  The trick is to gently touch the styrofoam surface lighyly just once with awidish flat brush at quite an oblique angle.  It' important not to overload the brush and get "blobs"

2021 01 04_1112

The trick if there is one is to build up multiple layers over several days.  This is a task that i fit in, between active building.  The Acrylic "Gloss medoum & Varnish" dries in about 4 hours

2021 01 04_1113

The white metal Gun director supplied is noticeably too short, so needs heightening with plastic tube.  i have despaired of cutting tibe cleanly with a scalpel so bought this cheap pipe cutter that really does the job!!!

2021 01 04_1110

I sprayed a trial piece of plasticard to check whether the roundel remaiined white whilst laid.....it does, meaning that I don't have to faff with sparaying a white circle beneath the roundel placement.  The ink on the Xtradecal sheet is suffcieintly opaque.

2021 01 04_1109

First primer takes us to this

2021 01 04_1108

Peter Hall suggests a Semtex colour for the deck but as Griffin was built in 1935 I feel corticene throughout would be more appropriate.  Norman Ough states that all destroyers were built using Corticene pre Tribal class which were built in 1936 onwards.  It's possible that the corticene was replaced?  Unless you ocntradict me, it will be corticene throughout.

Here's one Chrissie present ....

2021 01 04_1116_edited-1

Inspired by Michal's build @socjo1, the hull moulding is just delightful

2021 01 04_1115

Expect HMS Wye, K371 in the near future.

Finally some random points.....

Congratulations to Jamie @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies for the Sovereign Hobbies site update and making it a true resources regards colour interpretation - his latest piece on Royal Navy colours really does precis and simplify what can seem at first encounter a bewildering situation.  I'm conscious that he's updating continuously (to the extent that I couldn't find th piece today that I read yesterday :lol:).  Check it out. 

I stumbled across this reel of film from D-day era on IWM that I had not seen before, completely by accident

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060020418

It's rather marvellous.  I was struck by the miscellany of clothing worn by the crews!!!  I do hope that we see some more and diverse printed 1/350 Naval figures including some in non-uniform garb to populate Corvettes, trawlers etc

And finally, this is a plea - if anyone owns the new Alan Raven book "British Cruiser Warfare: The Lessons of the Early War, 1939-1941" would it be possible to PM me??   Huge gratitude in advance

Rob

• Like 9

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

There are 77 per side.  My heart reaches out to Crisp @Ex-FAAWAFU who has done many many more!

I'm not certain what method he uses, but after trial and error I find the following most useful

1) Cut from fret - No 11 blade

2)  Dab some "Klear" on over the hole (I first paint black) with a brush

3)  Use a cocktail stick with a "wetted" tip to pick the porthole up and gently plae over the hole

4)  If necessary use the tip of the stick to "centre" the porthole by simply sticking the stick into the "hole"

I think I am well over 1,000 now, but I am certainly not going back to count...  [My fault for doing an aircraft carrier!]

My method is broadly similar, though in my case I am moving about a third of them (i.e. Merit's position is either wrong or - more often - the scuttle missing altogether).  For those I started out drilling first, but trial and error quickly taught me that it is easier to align PE scuttle and then drill the hole through it than it is to drill in a completely straight line; the naked eye is very quick to spot even a small mis-alignment.

Once hole is there:

1.   Cut from fret (No.11 blade)

2.  Grip in Tamiya PE bending pliers and remove any brass burrs using Tamiya diamond file No 400 (completely indispensable tool for PE in my opinion) - I find about 30% of them need something to be removed, but this step is certainly optional; maybe you are better at cutting them off the fret than I am!

3.  I use Gator's Grip thin blend instead of Klear, but same difference for these purposes; apply tiny amount on edge of hole via cocktail stick

4.  Pick up brass scuttle - I use one of those PE pick-up devices that look like a pencil but where the 'lead' is Chinagraph material; a wet cocktail stick no doubt does the job too; use whatever you normally use for handling tiny PE

5.  If necessary adjust position with fine-jawed tweezers (my trusty Pixnors) and/or cocktail stick

6. They take a lot of concentration, so take regular breaks (I rarely do more than 20 scuttles in a session, max) and remember to clean off all traces of glue / Klear from the kit you are using to position the brass (tweezers, cocktail stick or whatever); if you don't, after about 3 or 4 scuttles you will find that they refuse to apply themselves to the hull, instead clinging relentlessly to the cocktail stick!

Griffin is looking excellent (& I am stubbornly refusing to buy a Nadder because I have so many ship models ahead of her in the queue - but she looks lovely).

Crisp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

............ I am stubbornly refusing to buy a Nadder because I have so many ship models ahead of her in the queue - but she looks lovely.

Crisp

Crisp, 

I think the decision may have been made for you as I'm sure Starling have sold out now, when I last looked there was only the 1 available, and just ike you I was holding out on buying it, purely because I tend to build ships with local or family connections, at the moment I'm waiting on Atlantic to restock the HMS Amethyst, as she was one of my great Uncle's ships.

Rob,

Looking good so far, I'm sure this will be another beauty in the making, great to see your process for the seascape too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AntPhillips said:

Crisp,  I think the decision may have been made for you as I'm sure Starling have sold out now, when I last looked there was only the 1 available, and just ike you I was holding out on buying it, purely because I tend to build ships with local or family connections

Me too - though I regularly walk the dog along the River Nadder, so it wasn’t working very well as a deterrent...  (But you’re right; I think I have resisted for long enough for the decision to be academic!)

• Sad 1

Looks very nice there Rob, good work with the Scuttles. Always enjoy seeing a kit of the interwar destroyers being built, will be watching with a lot of interest (and taking a lot of notes...).

Geoff 

• Thanks 1