Revell 1/144 Concorde

Hi Folks

Some weeks back I was thinking of doing something totally different (for me anyway) to run alongside my main build.  The first thing that came into my mind was Concorde, such an iconic aircraft. 

So I started to look around and came across Andy350 1/72 build which I thought was absolutely superb.  This really inspired me and I thought Ive got to have one.  Spent some time looking for one, found one, however when it turned up I was a obviously not paying attention and got a 1/144.

So here it is my first model in this scale and my first ever civil airliner but not my last,  I obviously have a way to go to get to Andy350 level.  Im going to get a 1/72 but next time pay more attention😱

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thanks for looking.  Any criticism good or bad or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated so I can improve

Take care all 

Si 

• Like 31

In my favourite livery too!

It's surprising how many panel lines are moulded on that kit.  The wash really brings them out.

Good luck with your 1:72 build - I'll look forward to watching it progress.

1 hour ago, neilg said:

In my favourite livery too!

It's surprising how many panel lines are moulded on that kit.  The wash really brings them out.

Good luck with your 1:72 build - I'll look forward to watching it progress.

Thanks neilg much appreciated, looking for a 1/72 as we speak

13 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Beautiful work, that looks awesome

Thanks F-32 much appreciated

15 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Superb Si.  Masterclass work.

How di you suspend the Concorde in your last picture.  That is a show stopper.

Laurie

Hi Laurie thank you very much.

I have two LED lights either side of my work bench. I hung the model as I used to as a kid with two loops of cotton from one of them. I also have quite a large stock of A1 card from my previous job in various colours (no lighter blue unfortunately) and used this as a background.  Took the pictures from my Samsung and removed the cotton in Photoshop for visual affect.  Just to say that I have not altered the main kit at all while doing this.

Thanks again, much appreciated

Si

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Moa said:

My apologies, you did 1/144, therefore it should have been: congratulations!!!!

Seriously, impressive work. Looking forward to those airliners!

Cheers

Thanks again Moa.  I would very much like to have a crack at another icon the 747.  Also I think the beginning of jet airliners, I believe, the DH Comet would be good, especially with the natural metal underside, a challenge😱.  Of course we cannot forget the Dakota.  Fortunately/unfortunately I like large scale models so will have to do a bit of research.

Thanks again Moa much appreciated

Si

• Like 1

Great work on the model! Was it masked paint or decal on the tail?

My only critique (since it was requested) : In my opinion a light grey wash would've been more subtle than the black/dark gray one. Almost all the photos of the Concorde have close to invisible panel lines.

I can only imagine the difficulty you've surmounted in masking that cockpit in 1/144! :D

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alxzinbox said:

My only critique (since it was requested) : In my opinion a light grey wash would've been more subtle than the black/dark gray one. Almost all the photos of the Concorde have close to invisible panel lines.

I can only imagine the difficulty you've surmounted in masking that cockpit in 1/144! :D

The reason for pictures having apparent invisible lines in pictures is that the camera is fooled by the white. A common occurrence in photography & in my case videography.

After retiring from my 50 year day job I took on videography. Soon found that I had to manipulate the camera to get folds on very white wedding dresses.

White is a hazard but the panel lines are there when viewed visually with the eye . Also applies to Spitfire etc  pictures the camera fools us no panel lines no rivets. That is unless the photography know his stuff.

3 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

The reason for pictures having apparent invisible lines in pictures is that the camera is fooled by the white. A common occurrence in photography & in my case videography.

After retiring from my 50 year day job I took on videography. Soon found that I had to manipulate the camera to get folds on very white wedding dresses.

White is a hazard but the panel lines are there when viewed visually with the eye . Also applies to Spitfire etc  pictures the camera fools us no panel lines no rivets. That is unless the photography know his stuff.

Thanks Laurie.  I will have to put my phone away and get the big guns out 

33 minutes ago, alxzinbox said:

Thanks for the feedback alxzinbox. I used the kit decals apart from the tail plane which I gave up on in the end and masked and sprayed (have along way to go with that though too). It is my first 1/144.

I must say I really struggled with the decals, a couple of dexterity problems doesn't help.

I used Flory wash grey on the panel lines believe it or not.  After a number of 1/35 scale armour with the same problem, coming out too dark I've come  to the conclusion that they are too dark. Got some Humbrol white and ordered another manufacturers pigments.

This has been a great learning curve for me and I think I'm prepared hopefully 🤞for the next one.

Thanks you very much for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Take care 

Si 

• Like 2

Sorry for this very strong critical respnse, but what the heck are all those black lines all over the airframe?

I never, ever, saw Concorde looking like that.

I'll accept it as 'artistic interpretation' but it's nothing like the smooth - not quite frictionless - surface that the British and French aeroplane designers set out to produce.

If you could soften, or make disappear, the panel lines then you have a great model.

My opinion and I may be in the minority.

Apologies if I offend.

32 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Sorry Laurie, but that is complete rubbish at least as far as Concorde is concerned - anyone who has seen one up close, as is easy to do be it at Brooklands, Bristol or wherever else, will tell you that there are no obviously visible panel lines, and definitely not to the extent shown here - that’s nothing to do with the camera being ‘fooled by the white’, they simply aren’t that visible! I accept that white is difficult to balance on a photo to prevent it being ‘blown’ but the naked eye isn’t so easily fooled. I have to agree with Fatflyhalf here, an otherwise great model has been rather spoiled in my humble view by unrealistically heavy panel lines.

9 minutes ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Sorry for this very strong critical respnse, but what the heck are all those black lines all over the airframe?

I never, ever, saw Concorde looking like that.

I'll accept it as 'artistic interpretation' but it's nothing like the smooth - not quite frictionless - surface that the British and French aeroplane designers set out to produce.

If you could soften, or make disappear, the panel lines then you have a great model.

My opinion and I may be in the minority.

Apologies if I offend.

Hi FlatFlyHalf

Thanks for your comments. This is my first 1/44 and first airliner. I am used to military aircraft/armour in much larger scale and with the beaten up look, wanted to do this as something completely different to what I've done before.I thought that the panel wash would make it pop out.

I plan to do further civil airline kits so this has been a big turning curve and great help. You learn something new  everyday, everydays a school day.

I'm not offended in the response at all. Its exactly what I want so I can improve 

Take care 

Si

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

That is a valid point. I had completely overlooked that aspect.

However, we need to take into consideration the scale of the colors as well. Something that is black close up, will shift towards grey as we move further away. For example the panel lines on a 1:32 and 1:44 will be colored with different shades as they are meant to represent the 1:1 aircraft seen from different distances.

Lastly, the reason I personally feel the panel lines are too strong, is due to the general perception the viewer has of a Concorde- a sleek sophisticated beauty, with a smooth skin untarnished by panel lines. Of course, this discussion is not to take anything away from this build. The builder is free to decide how much or less he chooses to weather or paint his model, and in my opinion has done a pretty amazing job.

• Like 1