T-60 Gorky Automobile Plant, Miniart 35232 Interior Kit.

edjbartos

I’m really happy with hairspray (on models that is!). I’ve just been using it on my P-38 over in the hairy-plane WIP section. I’ve heard that certain acrylics don’t work well with it, but Tamiya’s certainly do. Enamels are a no-no. You need strong hold, unperfumed preferably. Your chipping looks great though - no need to change if you’re happy with it.

• Thanks 1

Well, it looks as though many hob nailed boots have been trampling all over it. I've never tried this method before. Always relied on the old dab it it on with a sponge method. I'll have to give it a try. Nice work Ed.

John.

• Thanks 1

On 03/12/2020 at 11:30, Model Mate said:

I’m really happy with hairspray (on models that is!). I’ve just been using it on my P-38 over in the hairy-plane WIP section. I’ve heard that certain acrylics don’t work well with it, but Tamiya’s certainly do. Enamels are a no-no. You need strong hold, unperfumed preferably. Your chipping looks great though - no need to change if you’re happy with it.

I had a go with the hairspray after doing this just to see if there was any difference. To me both seemed as good. Also i need to try out Tamiya, i have some white and will try on some spare parts to see. I have heard that acylics can come off in large chunks, mine did until i changed to a softer brush and gently applied it and it came off bit by bit. I want to do a winter white wash on the outside of the tank so will have to play around.

thanks for looking

Ed

• Like 1

On 03/12/2020 at 11:43, Bullbasket said:

Well, it looks as though many hob nailed boots have been trampling all over it. I've never tried this method before. Always relied on the old dab it it on with a sponge method. I'll have to give it a try. Nice work Ed.

John.

Thanks John, i have never tried this method before, but was surprised how easy it was to do, i found that using a softer stubby brush just slightly wet gave really fine chips on test pieces i tried after doing this, a harder brush just started to shift a lot of paint, depends what you want to achieve. It’s one of those methods that’s worth a go.

thanks for looking John

Ed

• Like 1

I’ve been experimenting a little more just recently and found that time is a big factor. I tried chipping with a stiff, cut-down toothbrush as soon as the paint was touch-dry and it came off really easily and in quite large areas. Leaving it for 3-4 hours made it harder to shift, but slightly more controllable. Finally, I tried after a bit over 24 hours and it still came off, albeit with a bit more scrubbing, but also greater control.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Model Mate said:

I’ve been experimenting a little more just recently and found that time is a big factor. I tried chipping with a stiff, cut-down toothbrush as soon as the paint was touch-dry and it came off really easily and in quite large areas. Leaving it for 3-4 hours made it harder to shift, but slightly more controllable. Finally, I tried after a bit over 24 hours and it still came off, albeit with a bit more scrubbing, but also greater control.

It looks as though you have more time to do things with hairspray, with chipping fluid i've found after an hour its really hard to get off, pretty much impossible unless you go hard at it which may break parts. 

Ed

On 12/4/2020 at 10:59 PM, edjbartos said:

I had a go with the hairspray after doing this just to see if there was any difference. To me both seemed as good. Also i need to try out Tamiya, i have some white and will try on some spare parts to see. I have heard that acylics can come off in large chunks, mine did until i changed to a softer brush and gently applied it and it came off bit by bit. I want to do a winter white wash on the outside of the tank so will have to play around.

thanks for looking

Ed

i noticed with chipping fluid that acrylics came off in chunks, with hairspray it was a bit more controllable... Have read that if you use TAmiya that you should not thin with the laquer thinner as that will not come off with water... never used Tamiya so can't advise further I am afraid 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

i noticed with chipping fluid that acrylics came off in chunks, with hairspray it was a bit more controllable... Have read that if you use TAmiya that you should not thin with the laquer thinner as that will not come off with water... never used Tamiya so can't advise further I am afraid 

I have also read that thinning Tamiya paint with water works well, so will give that a try on a test piece to see what happens with both hairspray and chipping fluid before i commit to doing the winter white wash

Ed

Hi guys. a new update, I have been busy making lots of bits and pieces for the inside of this tank. I fitted the transmission and painted the seat etc, then did a pin wash using burnt umber oil paint to bring out all the nice detail on the inside. Here are a few photo's showing the result.

y4mrrbENHFvulQOwFOCZAI23cO2lMp-9hux5SzQy

y4myzAxgMzgnYokkKn-17esR_tn2mZ1jf7yEX3a1

y4mZtdYo7T-v4d_iVUa381veQiqz73-LC-CD_d7d

Then I finished constructing the engine, then painting and adding a wash to the side and bottom of the engine. I then added some Mig fresh oil to certain areas.

y4mla_mTm0MQtbdkMLIbGzIMtsORo_G4b8mKZkcey4mKsytK8s-ZbS0KkoSfjo-5lqTWu0BEIvTA--1a

Some views showing engine and internal storage, fire extinguishers and batteries etc, ready to be added to the base.

y4mm1mK0z1l71ZhQd7Ue8mBrCRMxg9q7ISLYnRho

Here are some pictures showing the assembled base of the T-60, I have added some oil stains under the engine, some rust around the base areas and some light dusting around other areas.

y4mzUBKFX18cRuj9ntglMubPIc5c8gWqv6az9JuT

y4mqYbqVJA8JHWi_FHZmXH3hILXD8-xLc2o1ChPf

y4mCeLkYVid0I_PJN19BKyAegtYddBluSET7GdlY

y4mRO2_MfEyX9k3j3Q3uTXl4SdDN-HNC_2ckDrUK

y4mZpRZ0vfEEhSIIbUW6KYZ8N6zuGG-Jge0cij1e

So next up is fitting the top that fits to the body, it looks as though there will be lots of areas that can be removed to view the inside of the completed tank, then I need to add hatches, covers etc and then start on the wheels.

thanks for looking in

Ed

• Like 11

WOW stunning Ed jeez that really is amazing work. I think i may have to try one of these kits myself in the future but for now carry on impressing me mate, fabulous stuff and a joy to follow 🙂👌👏👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

WOW stunning Ed jeez that really is amazing work. I think i may have to try one of these kits myself in the future but for now carry on impressing me mate, fabulous stuff and a joy to follow 🙂👌👏👍

Thank you Andy, really appreciate it, these are lovely kits, a bit fiddly mind, lots of small parts, but great fun if you like building...

all the best

Ed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

I bet it was fun working in that confined space with that exposed exhaust pipe! Cracking job Ed. The wear and tear looks very convincing. Great work.

John.

Thanks John, actually the engine was the last bit to go in, the hard part was navigating the pipes and rods round as these are a bit fragile to say the least. The wear and tear worked out better that i thought, i quite like the effect, will do this again in the future.

As always John thanks for looking in and for your comments

Ed

• Like 1

9 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Impressive work Ed, looks like this one will be another cracker.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, this is quite a nice build, much easier than the T-55, just hope i can finish it off nicely

thanks for looking in

Ed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vytautas said:

The weird thing is when making a model, the more rust, dirt, and clutter, the more beautiful. In real life, we try to do the opposite. Maybe we live wrong?🙂

That really is amazing work!

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas,, " Maybe we live wrong?"  there may be some truth in that comment. This has been i nice build so far, really enjoying it

all the best 

Ed

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

Lovely work on the interior mate, really starting to come to life now, nice and busy :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan, really appreciate you looking in and for your comments. Very different to the T-55 in that there is more open space in the interior and its a much easier build, thus far. Interesting to see how it turns out...

all the best

Ed

• Like 1