Masking 72nd Scale Camouflage Schemes

fishplanebeer

Does anyone have suggestions on the best, by which I mean simplest, method to mask off the 2nd/final camouflage colour once the first colour has been applied please?

In this scale it's a bit daunting so all methods/suggestions very much welcomed as I'm about to apply the second colour this week. In the past I've tried using thin ribbons of blu-tac to mark out the scheme and then applied masking tape to fill in the shapes but is there a better/simpler way of doing it, for example would micro-mask do the job perhaps?

Regards

Colin.

I prefer to hand paint so this is the method I use . . .

Take the camo pattern , usually illustrated with the instructions, and have it enlarged to the correct wingspan for 72nd.

I usually get the camo printed on a thin card . . . . I also paint the lightest base colour first, Brown.

Airfix-HW-K-HW-R-412.jpg

I have cut out the Green pattern and then take a pencil and mark the camo lines. Its then straight forward to paint the second colour.

It works for me, I hope it helps you  . . . .

Ian

PS I have used the same method for 48th scale aircraft as well.

• Like 1

I used an AML set of vinyl masks to do my very first airbrushed camo on my Airfix 1/72 Hurricane. As I found these a bit stiff and hard to place on certain sections of the model, I'll cut out the pattern on wide tape the next time. I have a roll of Tamiya 40mm. tape that should do.

50611791326_de58eaba6e_b.jpg

Chris

5 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

I prefer to hand paint 

I salute you with a slightly paint smeared hand. 🤗 I find an airbrush sucks the enjoyment out of painting in a ratio of 10 parts fun to 1 part paint.

• Like 1

Not being very good with the brush I always use the air powered variety so I am/was looking for a simpler means of masking the model.

I've just spent a complete afternoon using my old method of thin lengths of blu-tac to mark the camo pattern outline and then in filling the first colour sections with a myriad pieces of masking tape and micro mask - now I remember why I used to produce so few kits each year!

I think the idea of using after market vinyl masks and then transferring them onto 40mm masking tape sounds a good way forward for those kits where such masks are available, but in many cases they are not so perhaps I may now invest in some elastic masking putty instead as I've read some good reviews about it even if it is a bit pricey.

Many thanks

Colin.

Ps. just hope after all my hours of masking that I avoid mucking the paint job up