Westland Lynx HAS.2/3 main gear linkage orientation?

bootneck

Hello all, I am building a Lynx HAS.2 and, looking at photo's, I see that the main gear linkage is different on each side.  The linkage on the port side faces forward whereas on the starboard it faces aft.  Was this a requirement due to the need for the wheel to turn outboard when on deck?

port side view - linkage facing forward

spacer.png

stbd side view - linkage facing aft

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike

15 minutes ago, bootneck said:

The linkage on the port side faces forward whereas on the starboard it faces aft.  Was this a requirement due to the need for the wheel to turn outboard when on deck?

Hi Mike, 

On all wheeled maritime Lynx variants (and AW159), the undercarriage are as you describe/show.

The undercarriage legs are identical units, hence they have to face opposite directions, so the wheels remain on the outside.

The wheels can be locked at 0° or 45°. The RN hover taxi all the time, so the undercarriage remains locked at 45°. This allows the aircraft to turn on the spot and prevent the aircraft rolling off deck. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ben.

In all the years that I flew in Lynx helicopters, albeit mostly AH.1's and 7's, plus my time on carriers, and now volunteering at the Helicopter Museum;  I never noticed that before! :banghead:

cheers,

Mike

22 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Thanks Ben.

In all the years that I flew in Lynx helicopters, albeit mostly AH.1's and 7's, plus my time on carriers, and now volunteering at the Helicopter Museum;  I never noticed that before! :banghead:

cheers,

Mike

That's because you flew with the wrong service ;) (hrm I think the Navy bug has got me - too much time near/working with Yeovilton!). 

I must admit, I only learnt that 5 mins before I replied, from one of my more senior colleagues!