1/35 DML Puppchen

Ernie

I started this little guy 22 years ago when the kit was first released in 1998; so I guess it is about time I finish it :fool:  Plus, over the years the box and instructions suffered some water damage while it was in storage so it is down to either build it or junk it. Since I hate to throw plastic away, I guess I will try to make something of it. When I first started the kit I guess I was in a hurry as I didn't do a very good of it and so part of the challenge is to fix a couple broken parts and glue smears etc.

50578491442_9b2dcca911_b.jpg

50578491422_5bb4d0cbbf_b.jpg

The  first thing done was to replace a broken grab handle and fill some sink marks  along the sides and top of the gun carriage. I had (out of sequence of the instructions) glued the gun trunnion to the carriage and so needed to clean that up a bit and then see if I could make the gun assembly fit. Next was the gun shield, here I had two issues; one was it was very thick and needed to be thinned, and second was I had already cemented the gun barrel in place and the shield would not fit over the counterweight at the end of the barrel (this might have been why it had ended up back in the box). So, deciding to stubbornly press on I carved the  counterweight off the end of the barrel and then cut the angle iron detail off the bottom of the front of the gun shield. I sanded the front of the shield down until it was about half its original thickness. The rivet detail was replaced with decal rivets, something I have not tried before, but seems like it has worked ok, We'll see how it looks under paint. The foliage hoops on the gun shield were replaced with photo etched items from a rather old set of hold downs made by Kendell Model Co.. These were formed over a piece of Evergreen styrene to give them a 3D shape, and were then superglued to the front of the shield. Lastly, the angle iron details were cemented back in place.

50577718998_97abbaa602_b.jpg

50582640891_b1148e080a_b.jpg

So, that is about where it's at. If nothing else, this is a good skills builder exercise for me, and I can try out some different things. So that is cool, and hopefully this little guy will turn out well in the end.

Edited by Ernie
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well one things for sure. That box certainly has seen better days, interesting build though. 

Thanks Dennis, yeah the box is pretty beat. One reason it's getting built; any kits with damaged boxes that can't be packed easily for storage purposes are being weeded out. 

The front of the thinned down gun shield after the details have been replaced.

50636293546_f2bc973e0f_b.jpg

• Like 2

I was able to get some paint on this morning, Tamiya Dark Yellow for the base,, and then Lightened with Deck Tan for the highlights. Looks like I might be able to save this one yet! After a good coat of clear I will attempt a worn winter camo. Haven't done that in years so should be interesting.

50638263441_9545d197d2_b.jpg

50638263446_7af26d1b85_b.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Some more done on tis little guy.......

50710847862_b49b74c1f0_b.jpg

Shell crates with wood texture added and painted in wood grain.

50710847842_7f37206730_b.jpg

First coat of white on over a layer of chipping fluid.

I have safely sequestered my self in the hobby room for (hopefully) most of the rest of the day :penguin: so more progress should be forthcoming!

• Like 3