Pink Spitfire PR1G

Well, this one crept up on me! The old Airfix 1/72 Spitfire with a bit of scratched cockpit detail (which you absolutely cannot see), plunge moulded blisters on the cockpit and with some holes for cameras. And no aerial. A simple conversion, and I had forgotten what a joy the old Spitfire kit is to build!

ECEE8321-8975-4-F4-F-AB0-C-9-BD743-A48-B

4-D46632-D-1-EF6-47-AB-AB9-D-06-FA0-B91-

B86-D43-D1-BA42-4-E25-8-EB0-437415-E24-D

17-BDBEB2-D9-EA-4-C11-AA72-74-CD86-F02-F

The “pink” is very light grey with a hint of red, and looks very different in various lighting conditions, so I can imagine it being a good dawn and dusk camouflage colour.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 59

This is indeed a nice early photo-reconnaissance Spitfire. I think it is a rewarding effort to convert old kits to such masterpieces. I presume you have used parts of the Pavla conversion set for it. What I also like about this aircraft is that you got the color right. The so-called pink Spitfires were in fact nearly white like yours. 👍

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve been wanting to build one for ages, and it just sort of happened....

45 minutes ago, 112 Squadron said:

I presume you have used parts of the Pavla conversion set for it.

“No aftermarket was harmed in the making of this aeroplane”:

AAEEE6-C9-B96-D-4269-AB50-030-A5-D95-E99

FF74665-B-F309-4557-BBD2-A54-BBC4-DB4-AC

Regards,

Adrian :)

• Like 10

Looks good. You did a great job on that Spitfire. 

Even looking at the photos. You can see how the colour varies with the light. It would be an effective camouflage in cloud with a low sun. The clouds themselves take on a pinky, orange hue when conditions are right. That Spit would vanish into the background. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone! For reference, I first made a pale grey out of Humbrol 64 and white, and then more or less waved a tiny drop of red in its general direction. It doesn't take much red at all...

19 hours ago, Joao Augusto said:

Which decals did you use?

I measured the roundels from photos and used Xtradecals 32.5" A type roundels (11mm ish) for the fuselage and 30" (9.5mm ish) for the wings. The fin stripes were cut down from the strip fin flashes on the same sheet. The fuselage codes were cut down from the Airfix Blenheim 1 bomber kit - "FX-F" is the right size, proportion and stroke thickness to convert quite nicely into "LY"! The serial is home printed, in mid-grey 5 point Verdana (close enough in such a tiny font).

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1