Airfix 1:48 Hurricane Mk 1

matto21

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

The Hurricane is back on the bench after a bit of a break. There not actually too much to do, it's just a case of getting on with it. Anyway, I've made a start on the upper wings tonight. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I always approach painting in blocks to try and minimise boredom and preserve concentration. If I try to do too much at once, i.e paint both wings, I just mess it up usually! This way enables me to handle it easier too. 

IMG_20210108_213024

Hopefully you can see some of the subtle shading around the wingroot. As I like to spray camo freehand, I try to only use the minimum of masking tape. I've also had a few issues with the Sky Grey lifting, so erred on the side of caution. There's a tiny bit of overspray to be tidied up but nothing much. EDSG tomorrow hopefully! 

Thanks for looking 

Matt 

• Like 6

Thanks Col!

Both wings now painted and all of a sudden it seems to have progressed rapidly! I need to figure out how to mask around the tail, so this seemed a good place to stop for tonight. 

Annoyingly, despite my best efforts, there's been a bit of paint lift on the starboard fuselage side, immediately above the wing so that'll also need fixing. 

IMG_20210110_212929

IMG_20210110_213040

IMG_20210110_213111

Thanks for looking! 

Matt 

• Like 7

Hi all, 

The profile of the aircraft I'm modelling in the Aviation Workshop booklet shows the spinner painted black, however I've seen other examples of 880 NAS Hurricanes with the spinner painted grey to match the fuselage sides. Any suggestions which is more likely? 

Also, I'm guessing that being a Naval aircraft, any minor damage (scratches etc) the props suffered would have been quickly repainted too. Would people agree? 

Matt 

The nearest photo I can find is this one of 885 NAS in 1942 which shows a mixture of dark and light spinners.It might be a flight leader marking.I'll agree with you on the FAA keeping on top of paintwork for corrosion reasons.This might be @Troy Smith territory.

Spiffing paint job by the way,I said it'd be worth the effort :goodjob: .

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, matto21 said:

The profile of the aircraft I'm modelling in the Aviation Workshop booklet shows the spinner painted black, however I've seen other examples of 880 NAS Hurricanes with the spinner painted grey to match the fuselage sides. Any suggestions which is more likely? 

Go with the photo over a profile.  

I've seen two photos in the scheme,  a flight shot, and a ground shot, with a bullet Rotol spinner. (not in the Airfix kit BTW

this one

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-08%20at%2016.28.

discussed here, I can't remember all the details,  except I find Aviation Workshop booklets(all profiles)  and the Model Alliance decals (based on said profiles, same artist..)  require, supporting evidence, some are legendary 'no photo ever seen by anyone' schemes, some are not very well interpreted. caveat emptor. 

7 hours ago, matto21 said:

Also, I'm guessing that being a Naval aircraft, any minor damage (scratches etc) the props suffered would have been quickly repainted too. Would people agree? 

Naval, but shore based.  

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Things have really slowed down recently, which is a shame because the finishing line is in sight, but I've been distracted by other projects. 

I've found a little time to repaint the spinner and prepare the undercarriage (very flimsy by the way) and wheels. I used the rather nice Vallejo Metal Colours for the gear legs. 

Screenshot_20210214_230913

Thanks for looking. 

Matt 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

I've been fortunate enough to have a spare room to do my modelling in, however my wife continues to work from home and has earmarked said space as a home office. This means that room is currently undergoing "improvements". Part of the compromise is for me to buy a better bench than the old desk I'm currently using, but a lot of "stuff" (i.e unbuilt kits etc) have to be moved on. I've already got rid of a section of my stash this/last year and this is set to continue. 

Anyway, back to the point of this post. While sorting things out to begin redevelopment/stash thinning, I came across the Hurricane. It really is 65% complete, so I need to get it back on the bench...once I have a bench of course! 

Hopefully progress soon! 

Matt 

• 1 year later...