1/72 Revell Faun Elefant and ....something else

CharlieK

Hi everyone,

I'm strictly an informal modeller, my output is a grand total of 1 x Dragon Wagon over 10 years ago and 1 x 'OO' shelf layout, with a few Warhammer miniatures thrown in since finishing that. They're not really grabbing me though, so I've decided to go back to a 1/72 challenge to get me through the dark nights. I chose the Revell Elefant for no other reason than it looked interesting, and that it would have a lot in the box. If I don't want to put the Leopard on the back, it will make another project and I can look for something a bit more appealing as I go along. I'm creating this blog to help keep me going. I did one over on a railway site for about 3 years while I made the shelf, and it really helped to get people's ideas and their advice on how to improve. I'm not looking for anything special, but it might help others to see where I go wrong!

Now don't get me wrong here, but I don't think the sprues are meant to look like this. This is a shot after removing a couple of parts to test the damage could be got around. Either it's been stored next to a heater, been stacked under a heavy weight or it came out of the moulds like this and got through QC. After a quick bout with some of the most affected parts and hot water, I decided to live with it. Nothing worse than clearing the desk, changing the blades and then waiting for a replacement to arrive. 

IMG_20201122_180353

When the initial euphoria/disappointment* of seeing the contents had dissipated (*delete as applicable), I quickly got through the mandatory 'drop knife with new blade on to thigh' step and began.

Trailer first...leave the interesting bit 'til later.

IMG_20201122_143841

After 2 hours yesterday, the first steps are complete(ish). The basket had me worried for a time as it comes in 4 sections. Most warps straightened out in the process with careful clamping and patience. Still a little clean up to do. Not so keen on the odd triangular hole that appears near the lower winch pulley. Shame as the rest is nice. Looking at some bigger kits, a cover plate extending over the pulley might be in order.

IMG_20201122_180421

Continued onto the underside this afternoon. Despite my initial misgivings, I'm really impressed with this kit, the instructions could be a bit clearer though.

I know it's marked as a level 5, but the diagrams of this assembly really aren't clear enough. Two views of how they fit would really help. Angled parts from an isometric POV made it difficult to make out whether linkages should be attached angled to touch the underside of the bed at both ends, or only attached at one end and horizontal, leaving them unsupported. I went for the first and it looked correct, until realising two steps later that a small pip would nicely fit in a hole which happened to be close to (again not so clear) horizontally aligned but was now 2mm above it. The linkage is then supported at both ends. Due to the viewpoint on the instructions, you can't actually see this, and it doesn't have a nice red arrow to indicate that it should be located in it. Luckily, I got a knife blade in there and managed to lift them all leaving just a slight mark on the underside of the bed. I can't be the only one to have made this mistake.

There's some sink marks which might be visible, but I doubt it when the wheels are on. I'll probably just fill them at the beginning of my next session.

Thanks for looking

Charlie

• Like 9

Thanks for your support all, looking forward to it.

Put in another couple of hours tonight. These linkages twist a little as you cut them from the sprue, maybe I just need to get a new pair of cutters. Managed to get them all out undamaged which was a relief.

Elefant2003

Finished all the linkages tonight, some are too tight so a little extra space on the inside edge was made rather than risk breaking them.

Elefant2001

Most of tonight was actually spent on the floor looking for a cable guide(?). Looked like it came loose on Sunday and I must have flicked it off. After 3 attempts a replacement was made, It's still a little on the big side but once it's dry I'll take it down a bit. I just can't hold onto it while it's loose.

Elefant2006

Yet more to watch carefully.

Elefant2008

Test fit before finishing removing joins tomorrow. Then they'll go aside for a bit.

That's it for today, stop while you're ahead.

Thanks for looking.

Charlie

• Like 10

Thanks for the tip flashlight, I haven't got one. I'll have a look. Thanks Homer, I'm really happy with it so far despite the distortion.

Elefant3004

I thought the above view might help where I had difficulty with the instructions. 

Elefant3003

Wheels finished and under bed boxes tonight...

Elefant3002

Thanks for looking.

Charlie

• Like 4

I reckon this is close to 7 hours now. I have no idea how long an OOB generally takes for others. 

Elefant4001

Underside almost done now, little bit of filler but it will be out of sight anyway. I really don't like look of the pulley assembly on the side of the neck.

Elefant4009

First road test, front one just lifted, but they won't be attached until after painting. The profile of the tyres make them look like they're not grounded. Not sure what to do about this yet, if anything. Most likely I'll subtly profile the scene it will sit on and lower beneath the centre lines making the outer edges touch, then again I've seen another site where the tread on the centre line seems to have been close to levelled.

Thanks for looking.

Charlie

• Like 6

Building the chassis, cab and engine as sub assemblies and will attach later than instructions show. Apart from that just a new pair of glasses and tweezers needed!

Elefant7001

I won't to say how long it took to position the first shock absorber, but do it early in the morning when the light is good and you have a lot of patience!

Elefant7006

Thanks for looking

Charlie

• Like 6

Thanks Nick, little bit everyday.

Elefant8004

All shocks on, the only thing you can do to make it easier is to fit 2 shocks (parts 11) before the differential at the front. They're the only two vertical, and it will save you trying to squeeze them under it later. The rest have to be set individually after the other axles are in place. The drive shafts have a few gaps at each end as they don't align at 90 degrees in the centre. I'm thinking now that at least a base coat of green is needed soon. Once the engine bed is in place, I'm not going to be able to get good coverage on the top of the chassis, and the cab is going to be built up separately anyway and needs the inside painting first at the very least before assembly. Probably leave the cab for a bit and get the engine mounted next, then they can all be done in one sitting.

Elefant8005

Found a large amount of flash on a couple of components, so I'm thinking these sprues only just made it out of QC. No real issues yet though, it's a nice kit for someone of my relative inexperience.

Thanks for looking.

Charlie

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Bit of a delay in the latest update. My heart began giving me signs things were amiss, and after two trips to hospital before Christmas, I'm now waiting for a referral which might lead to another stent. I already have two after a heart attack 10 years ago. Best thing is that the modelling helps me relax and there's nothing better than a few hours listening to the radio at the modelling table.

After thinking about it and looking at how it's going together, I decided that a bit of priming might make things easier. There's a lot of areas that are masked by other components. Once the sub assemblies are complete, they'll all be primed before assembly and final paint. The cab exterior will be left loose so camouflage can match, then be removed for fitting of the windscreen before finally attaching permanently.

Some things to watch: the hinge on the roof hatch prevents the guard rail from sitting level if you don't reduce the height of it a bit, and the wing mirror support frames (and steps) are very flimsy. I remade them using the leg of a 3mm LED in the absence of anything else suitable and it was close to size if not scale. The shape of them anyway looked like the were going to be a real pain to attach. I had to go for a bit of a composite shape for the frames as there seems to be differences across the photos on the internet. Whilst not 100% accurate to go for mounting to the door, rather than the front edge of the windscreen, I have less chance of knocking them off.

Elefant9007

Elefant9005

Thanks for looking.

Charlie

• Like 5

Thanks John, yes it's Bachmann. One of the first I bought some years ago.

Don't know why I did this tonight given that no one will see it when the trailer's on. Cable guides are solid with little detail so I used a knife to cut a recess. Tweezers before, mounted after.

Elefant10018

I'm hoping that a concerted effort tomorrow will see this finished minus the wheels.

Thanks for looking.

Charlie

• Like 5

Evening all,

Not quite the progress envisaged, but still progress. Lots of smalls today, managed to keep them all on the desk and into the right place. Double points. Last night's work paid off when I realised you can see the guides, but there are no cables on the winches so a bit of nervous drilling later this was sorted, at least on one side.

Not all glued, but a test assemble.

Elefant11005

Guides visible with trailer.

Elefant11013

A satisfying sight.

Elefant11009

Cable awaiting winch.

Elefant11019

Thanks for looking.

Charlie

Edited by CharlieK
  • Like 6

Thanks Ray, it's been trial and error at times but I've enjoyed it. Today's been a test with the airbrush mind.

Yesterday was a major headache putting on the rear platforms and guards, not helped by the initial warped sprues.

Tips for anyone making this: Don't fit the front guard of the rear platforms when the instructions say - it needs to meet the fuel tank / spare wheel slot at 90o. To get a better fit, add it now.

The location 'pips' on the rear platform supports get in the way of setting the platform level and flat - get rid of them and attach each support separately by eye.

If the platforms aren't level, the vertical guard at the rear hits the rear wheels.

At least 15 years ago I bought an airbrush/compressor combination from Proops, when the Model Engineering show used to be at Harrogate. Today was the first time I used it for anything other than a base coat, even the base on this was from a can. Need a bit more practice but I think it's okay for a first run. Getting close for a fine line definitely needs work but I'll try to touch the edges in and add the brown tomorrow. The trailer needs a good going over as I did it first and ironed out some issues. Not unhappy with it as a first attempt, bit patchy, bit blurry. May as well practice for it as the load will probably have the same scheme!

Elefant12001

Thanks for looking.

Charlie

• Like 5