Lockheed Vega Golden Eagle Dole racer, modified 1/72nd RarePlane vac

5 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Beautiful build and display as always. I'm curious to learn where you find the background information and how you know so much about airplanes otherwise so little known. 

Thanks SAT69

I guess it's like anything else, something that captivates you and you start to pull the threads, in this case finding image archives on the Net, reading old magazines, and such.

Gradually (we are talking years) you realize that you have tapped into a complete universe of which many of your fellow modelers and aviation enthusiasts don't have the remotest clue.

Like any knowledge (like let's say Greek food preserves from the 5th Century BC), you only have to find the right door, have a bit of patience and perseverance, but, most of all, truly enjoy and have a great gusto for it. What we many times call "a passion".

The fact that many modelers don't feel the need or itch to see what's beyond the known modeling horizon (WWII, or even WWI -which is arcane enough for many, or contemporary planes, the most commonly modeled subjects ) is a bit strange, but hey, to each his/her own.

But to chose, ideally, you would like to know your options, the widest possible scope, and then follow the path that you fancy. The fact that a large number of modelers never, ever heard of these more esoteric (not at all, really) types, may be a loss to some.

I am glad to bring these types back to life, I truly enjoy it, and perhaps they can open some eyes to the wonders that lay beyond ;)

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Luka said:

I'm a simple man; I see Moa, I click.

Your builds never seem to disappoint now, do they? You've presented us with yet another truly stunning build.

Appreciated, Luka!

I do what I can.

9 hours ago, swralph said:

Lovely build.😀

Thanks swralph!

9 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Another very impressive build Moa!

Terry

Thanks, Terry!

Hopefully more to come son.

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Fantastic work on a difficult vac! I love the sunset pictures too.

Regards,

Adrian

Glad you enjoyed it, Adrian.

4 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Exquisite work again Moa! :clap2:  And a great tribute to the courageous airmen and women who blazed feathery trails through that wild blue yonder.   Thanks for the scale modeling and for the education.  🥂

Thanks Gary, always a pleasure.

• Like 1

Moa............just how in THE heck did you turn that crude sheets of plastic into a museum piece???? :gobsmacked: Someday, I`m going to visit you in California and not only see your superb collection, but learn the secrets of the “Shaolin Monk of Modeling”

I continue to not be worthy :worthy:

Mike

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Moa............just how in THE heck did you turn that crude sheets of plastic into a museum piece???? :gobsmacked: Someday, I`m going to visit you in California and not only see your superb collection, but learn the secrets of the “Shaolin Monk of Modeling”

I continue to not be worthy :worthy:

Mike

:cwl:

Hi Mike

It's not me, it's the Power of The Force.

And you need not travel far, as Master Sandpaper used to say: there is a Shaolin Modeling Temple in every heart.

Cheers

• Haha 2

Wow! What an incredibly beautiful model, Claudio! I not only marvel at your WIP's but I always learn something about model building and the history of the subject. I have to agree with Space Ranger's comments- next to you, I'm an assembler, not a model maker! Keep 'em coming! :worthy:

Mike

BTW- that gold finish is flawless, and not an easy color to spray.

• Thanks 1

Outright fantastic how you turn these plastic forms into shiny aviation artworks. I tried a vacuform once (with surprising success), but am not very inclined to specialize on them. Of interest are those drift lines on the tail, like on Japanese combat planes. What were they needed for? Maybe just for that - i.e. measuring drift, but there's no backseater to check...

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Wow! What an incredibly beautiful model, Claudio! I not only marvel at your WIP's but I always learn something about model building and the history of the subject. I have to agree with Space Ranger's comments- next to you, I'm an assembler, not a model maker! Keep 'em coming! :worthy:

Mike

BTW- that gold finish is flawless, and not an easy color to spray.

Appreciated, Mike! But c'mon, you are superlative yourselves, so no mucking around ;)

That gold paint, Vallejo Metal Color acrylic, made things much easier.

10 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Outright fantastic how you turn these plastic forms into shiny aviation artworks. I tried a vacuform once (with surprising success), but are not very inclined to specialize on them. Of interest are those drift lines on the tail, like on Japanese combat planes. What were they needed for? Maybe just for that - i.e. measuring drift, but there's no backseater to check...

Thanks, but the praise is several sizes bigger than what I could wear 😁

A fellow modeler posted during the build that those were indeed drift indicators.

The navigator sat back in the cabin, where the last window on each side is, with a removable window at least on the left side, which would have allowed him to poke his head out, plus a hatch trough the wing with a foldable windshield too. There is even a support for an instrument on the fuselage side immediate below the nav window. Far from being knowledgeable on these matters, but it looks like that.

Cheers

• Thanks 1