1/72nd Italeri MC-130E Combt Talon 1,.... USAF 711th Special Operations Sqn, 919th Special Operation Wing based at Duke AFB, Florida

Hiya Folks,

Somewhat out of my comfort zone here with this one but having seen them flying around near to Mildenhall I have wanted to build one for years,.......the MC-130E Combat Talon 1,this one repreents  0523, known as `The Godfather' of the 711th Special Operations Sqn, 919th Special Operation Wing based at Duke AFB, Florida which was one of the last of this variant to fly in May 2013, having seen long service which included the Vietnam War where it took part in the raid against the Tan Soy POW Camp on 21st August 1970 and I have hopefully depicted it as it looked during its last years of service,...... the addition of the Fulton Recovery System `nose arms is a bit of artistic licence as these were removed in its final years although they could still be re fitted for operations and indeed they have since been refitted where the aircraft now stands preserved at Canon AFB. The dotted walkway lines above the wings and fuselage were provided in the kit but I have been unable to find a decent upper view of these aircraft to confirm whether they were actually applied or not,..... so I will reservedly trust Italeri in the knowledge that they can be fairly easily overpainted at a later date!  

Here are two real MC-130E`s;

And here is the model,.... the raised detail was removed and re scribed and the model was brush painted thanks to Jonners who sent me bottles of old Aeromaster FS36118 Gunship Grey and FS36293 Grey and the outer refuelling pod tanks came from Flightpath as for some reason Italeri left these out of the kit.  The stand comes from a Tamiya 1/32nd Mustang;

DSCF8979-NEW.jpg

DSCF8981-NEW.jpg

DSCF8982-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF8985-NEW.jpg

DSCF8987-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF8988-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF8989-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF8991-NEW.jpg

DSCF8993-NEW.jpg

DSCF8996-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF8983-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF8986-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF8980-NEW.jpg

DSCF8984-NEW-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

EDIT,.... Just realised that I`ve made a bit of a cock up of the nose sensors,.... ah well! Told you I was out of my comfort zone on this one!!  

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 71

• tonyot changed the title to 1/72nd Italeri MC-130E Combt Talon 1,.... USAF 711th Special Operations Sqn, 919th Special Operation Wing based at Duke AFB, Florida
4 hours ago, swralph said:

Excellent modelling.😀

Thanks mate. 

2 hours ago, Booty003 said:

That is superb Tony, looks fantastic and must be a good size to build and handle.  Looks right at home in flight as well.

Phil

Cheers Phil,..... yeah pretty big and hard to photograph too! Glad you like it in flight,..... like you say, it looks at home and I can imagine it at low level in the pouring rain down the Welsh valleys!

2 hours ago, foxhandybread said:

Absolutely brilliant stuff. Good job!

Thanks mate.

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Very well done. I like the paint work and the use of the stand will provide you with shelf space underneath for other models. 

Cheers mate,..... yeah that was part of my thinking, re the shelf space LOL!! 

1 hour ago, Vultures1 said:

Excellent conversion work Tony, well done!  Great finish too

Thanks mate.

44 minutes ago, phildagreek said:

Very nice!

Cheers Phil. 

All the best and thanks again,

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey Tony, you've gone Herc mad lately,  don't blame you though,  what superb aircraft and what a superb model, great work as usual fella. 

Chris

Cheers Chris,....... yeah Herk mad mate and nowhere to put them! The new Zvesda kit blows the old Italeri kit out of the water mate. 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RMCS said:

Excellent 

Thanks.

54 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Excellent, Tony! I’d build one if I had the space! 

Martin

Cheers Martin,..... I wish I had the space too LOL

49 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Very nice build Tony well done, it looks impressive 👍👍👍

cheers, Jan

Thanks Ian,...... glad you like it cheers.

28 minutes ago, Mark Strasser said:

SOOO cool!!!!

Mark

Thanks Mark,..... nice of you to say so mate. 

Nice finish there.

Now you need to do a companion chopper.

I was just talking to my Dad on Sunday (our weekly call) and mentioned I had seen a post of a reunion for some of the Son Tay raiders (50th).

Dad was at Udorn AFB in Thailand at the time and he remembers a C-130 staging out of there that was parked on the flightline just outside his shop (he worked ECM).

All they were told at the time was not to go near that aircraft.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 6:16 AM, Harry Callahan said:

outstanding work, nice idea with the stand of a 1/32 Tamiya model.

On 11/23/2020 at 8:27 AM, Team Aer Lingus said:

another cracking job Tony love the paint work you've capture the plane so well

thanks for sharing 

regards

Eamonn

On 11/23/2020 at 6:53 PM, F-32 said:

That is a thing of beauty!

On 11/23/2020 at 7:34 PM, Buzby061 said:

Lovely Herc, got it nailed.

I remember seeing the Fulton gear demonstrated at RIAT, or possibly IAT, a good few years ago. Very impressive.

Pete

On 11/23/2020 at 8:57 PM, Kentavros76 said:

Very impressive work!!!:clap:

On 11/24/2020 at 5:49 AM, philp said:

Nice finish there.

I was just talking to my Dad on Sunday (our weekly call) and mentioned I had seen a post of a reunion for some of the Son Tay raiders (50th).

Dad was at Udorn AFB in Thailand at the time and he remembers a C-130 staging out of there that was parked on the flightline just outside his shop (he worked ECM).

On 11/24/2020 at 5:49 AM, philp said:

Nice finish there.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:22 AM, heloman1 said:

Excellent result Tony, O do like the in flight pose with the capture jaws open. Congratulations.

Colin

22 hours ago, Snitok1983 said:

Gorgeous!!! Looks great indeed!

Thanks everybody,.... glad you like it cheers,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...