Gloster Gladiator 607sq K7995

Elias

• 2 weeks later...

Elias

I think that's about all there is, to be honest. Note that the serials seem to have been painted over when the camouflage and LW codes were added pre-war. Photos of the wartime AF coded Gladiators are like hens' teeth. There's a slightly blurry one of two AF- Gladiators at Vitry-en-Artois, and this one possibly showing the AF codes:

https://www.nelsam.org.uk/NEAR/PhotoArch/607SqnWWII/img090.jpg

Regards

Simon

It is worth adding that Peter Cooksley reported that the Gladiators on their way to France were carrying no squadron codes.  If the Vitry photo above really shows J.AF then the squadron codes have been cramped into an unusually small space.  I have also seen an apparently ex-607 Hurricane in France with no codes, but that could of course have been a hurried replacement.

Just now, Graham Boak said:

It is worth adding that Peter Cooksley reported that the Gladiators on their way to France were carrying no squadron codes.  If the Vitry photo above really shows J.AF then the squadron codes have been cramped into an unusually small space.  I have also seen an apparently ex-607 Hurricane in France with no codes, but that could of course have been a hurried replacement.

Edit: Pun unintentional

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

I was thinking maybe just the AF has been applied forward of the roundel, with no individual letter after it. It's not the clearest of photos, it must be said, and maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there.

The other photo I mentioned captioned as taken at Vitry-en-Artois shows the starboard side of a Gladiator and just has the AF codes before the roundel and seemingly no letter after the roundel. I'd upload it , but I'm not sure where it came from originally.

Simon

9 hours ago, Simon said:

Elias

I think that's about all there is, to be honest. Note that the serials seem to have been painted over when the camouflage and LW codes were added pre-war. Photos of the wartime AF coded Gladiators are like hens' teeth. There's a slightly blurry one of two AF- Gladiators at Vitry-en-Artois, and this one possibly showing the AF codes:

https://www.nelsam.org.uk/NEAR/PhotoArch/607SqnWWII/img090.jpg

Regards

Simon

Simon 

thanks for uploading the photo in such good analysis.

It's been in warpaint series and in Fledgling Eagles: The Complete Account of Air Operations During the 'Phoney War' and Norwegian Campaign, 1940 book.