The Pub Landlord is a modeller - Al Murray

Not sure where to post this as it is kind of about modelling. In this weekends "i" newspaper , Al Murray, aka the Pub Landlord has this weeks guest editorial . At the end the section always says what the writer has been reading, watching and doing.  Seems Al is a " born again" modeller during lockdown - making aircraft and armour and by the sounds of thoroughly enjoying re visiting a childhood hobby.

• Like 10

Nice, WeHaveWays joined the Dark Side as well :P

In September, Steamgeezer built Drachinifel a HMS Queen Elizabeth which he then used in the live Drydock shows :)

Not only is he an excellent modeller he is also very interested in everything about the Second world war and his weekly podcasts and live streams along with James Holland are highly informative and fun with audible books each month on their patreon site.

• Like 2
On 11/22/2020 at 1:10 PM, neilh said:

Not sure where to post this as it is kind of about modelling. In this weekends "i" newspaper , Al Murray, aka the Pub Landlord has this weeks guest editorial . At the end the section always says what the writer has been reading, watching and doing.  Seems Al is a " born again" modeller during lockdown - making aircraft and armour and by the sounds of thoroughly enjoying re visiting a childhood hobby.

@neilh. Beautiful British name.

• Haha 2

Seems to be a lot of celebrities "coming out" recently.

Rod Stewart does model railways.  Henry Cavill apparently paints Games Workshop miniatures.   Not surprised Al Murray builds WW2 stuff...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RobL said:

Rod Stewart does model railways. 

Rod the Mod was the cover star of one of the model railway mags earlier this year. I have no interest in model railways but I was intrigued enough to have a flick through it in Tesco. His layout is something else.

• Like 1

He went to Bedford School, and was a boarder there.

There used to be this excellent model shop, CT Gascoignes, and he would buy his models & supplies from there.

In his book, "Watching War Films With My Dad" he talks about his habit :) 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Indeed he is, came across it on Twitter recently where he featured his diorama. Had no idea. 

A very smart guy as many comics are. One of us too. I am a fan. 

BTW I'm not a twittery person just ended up there via the surfing route. 

Edited by noelh
  • 3 weeks later...

Can I recommend his podcast with James Holland - ‘We have ways of making you talk’?

Brilliant and prolific - you learn loads every time you listen. Very much on my wavelength.

The other great is the ‘Fighter Pilot’ podcast - also excellent.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 9:04 PM, Jon Bryon said:

I believe Al Murray is interviewed in the latest episode of modelling podcast On The Bench. I haven't listened to it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Jon

https://otbmodellerspodcast.libsyn.com/?fbclid=IwAR2tR7R7cp2f4WlLyFWvk5mnGTQMo-G6jbgu5tzRLlfoFNfxH_WB0Tb-myc  Episode 99

• Like 1

Big fan of Al - went to see his last Pub Landlord tour which he had to curtail due to Covid 19. Read his book "Watching War Films with my Dad" and dip fairly frequently into the "We Have Ways of Making You Talk" podcasts.