1/32 Tamiya A6M2b Zero “Red Sun Rampant”

1/32 Tamiya A6M2b Zero

“Red Sun Rampant”

The Battle of Rabaul, also known by the Japanese as Operation R, was fought on the island of New Britainin the Australian Territory of New Guinea, in January and February 1942. It was a strategically significant defeat of Allied forces by Japan in the Pacific campaign of World War II, with the Japanese invasion force quickly overwhelming the small Australian garrison, the majority of which was either killed or captured. Hostilities on the neighbouring island of New Ireland are usually considered to be part of the same battle. Rabaul was significant because of its proximity to the Japanese territory of the Caroline Islands, site of a major Imperial Japanese Navy base on Truk.

This is the Tamiya 1/32 zero, I have made plenty of these, but always enjoy building this, and not because Tamiya make it so precise, it’s just got a lot of history, this is A6M2 Model 21 2185 construction number 1503 of FCPO Kan-ichi 1943

This was built OTB and painted using Mig Ammo air set “WW11 IMPERIAL JAPANESE NAVEY SET.”

Enjoy

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Superb! Particularly envious of your canopy masking skills, i can never get a good crisp line. I'm running out of space in the display cabinet and can't decide whether to fill the remain spaces with Japanese or Soviet fighters-think you've just swung me!

That really is outstanding workmanship on display here - just the right amount of weathering without going completely over the top.   Love the streaky staining effects.

How long did this model take you to put together?  

Regards

Dave

11 minutes ago, GRK said:

Superb! Particularly envious of your canopy masking skills, i can never get a good crisp line. I'm running out of space in the display cabinet and can't decide whether to fill the remain spaces with Japanese or Soviet fighters-think you've just swung me!

He’s a tip on canopy masking this is what I do any way

when You mask run your blade around the frame then use Matt varnish to make a barrier  and to give the rest of the canopy an undercoat, something for the paint to bite on.

then use a very fine coat of undercoat I use the inner canopy colour.

then a fine coat of the main colour leave it to dry for 2/3 days the masking should come off leaving a sharp edge

mike

1 hour ago, chameleon2009 said:

run your blade around the frame

thanks for the tips. Just checking on the blade bit, is this to try and force the tape right against the frame or just part of the cutting process to remove the tape from the frame?