1/32 Phantom FGR.2 - best starting point?

WV908

That second drawing (inboard profile) looks to be foreshortened, i.e. the width is not to the same scale as the height. One check is the drawing location reference marks on the perimeter of the drawing: the horizontal marks are narrower than the vertical marks but it also looks a little short and stubby. This is a common problem after only a few copies and behooves the careful to always check the height versus the length of the subject of the drawing.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Sorry to drag this topic up again.

I have recently finished my Frankentoom FGR-2 representing XV498, using the Tamiya and Revell kits and joining the fuselages in

holy matrimony ( I stuck the Revell tail on the Tamiya fuselage and used most of the Revell wings and tailplanes). It is not the most accurate model around, and I am aware of what’s needed to do so, but it has all the presence of the beautifully

camouflaged RAF Phantom. Pics can be viewed at LSM even when you are not a member.

Although it took me almost three years working on and off it, it gave me a lot of pleasure and I plan on doing another build, this time a Royal Navy FG-1

using only a Revell kit this time. With the experience I have I feel a better result will be achieved and it would be great to have both versions in my collection.

Cheers

Cees

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cees Broere said:

Sorry to drag this topic up again.

I have recently finished my Frankentoom FGR-2 representing XV498, using the Tamiya and Revell kits and joining the fuselages in

holy matrimony ( I stuck the Revell tail on the Tamiya fuselage and used most of the Revell wings and tailplanes). It is not the most accurate model around, and I am aware of what’s needed to do so, but it has all the presence of the beautifully

camouflaged RAF Phantom. Pics can be viewed at LSM even when you are not a member.

Although it took me almost three years working on and off it, it gave me a lot of pleasure and I plan on doing another build, this time a Royal Navy FG-1

using only a Revell kit this time. With the experience I have I feel a better result will be achieved and it would be great to have both versions in my collection.

Cheers

Cees

Yes a really beautiful model indeed, one I am super jealous of!  You must check it out, its a cracker.

Now a RN FG.1 Now were talking!

Cheers and thanks for the inspiration to forge ahead with mine

Anthony

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Cees Broere said:

how did you get a replacement radome on your conversion?

Hello Cees

I got it from Flightpath Models (D J Parkins) and the link is https://www.djparkins.com/home.php?cat=245&page=1.

Regards

Nigel

• Thanks 1