1/32 Phantom FGR.2 - best starting point?

WV908

Been a pleasure to help!  Look forward to helping if and where I can when you start.

Cheers

Anthony

3 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello all,

here is a link to "print them yourself" RAF Phantom decals: https://sites.google.com/site/rjcaviationart/decalarchive

Of course you have to scale them up (or down) but at least this will spare you from drawing everything from the scratch.

Cheers,

Antti

Wow Antti, that's great!  Thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And again: excellent info! Thank You John for the trouble of scanning and sharing the pictures🙂

I have the "Plane captain's handbook" for the F-4K (I know...) and there are a few Stations Diagrams. I wouldn't trust those as they give exactly the same numbers for the F-4J and British Phantoms. Comparing the top side photos of F-4Js and FG.1s clearly shows that there is a difference in shape around the intakes.

A bit more useful drawing can be found in British APs; possibly the very same manual John has in his possession. This source is confusing as the numbers don't make sense. The measurements given in inches just won't work. Is it a mistake in the print or is it just me? Can someone give any light on this?

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oooh nice.....I cant wait for mine to show up!

They are a treat - it's been difficult to gauge the increase in fuslelage diameter due to the Revell fuselage having cavernous holes where the burners sit so I can certainly understand why Cees is having issues in that area, although the Revell fuselage profile pretty much matches (with some expansion of course) - I have offered them up to the Tamiya and at first glance it's a better fit, but only due to how the fuselage is constructed. The Revell fuselage has better contours in this area and as soon as I make the right cuts, it should open up just right for the Burners.

Tamiya for your viewing pleasure (I can't get them to sit in the Revell fuse yet). You can see the PHorces in play PHysically PHushing the PHantom rear PHuselage outwards ;)

PXL_20201130_182959118

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WV908 said:

They are a treat - it's been difficult to gauge the increase in fuslelage diameter due to the Revell fuselage having cavernous holes where the burners sit so I can certainly understand why Cees is having issues in that area, although the Revell fuselage profile pretty much matches (with some expansion of course) - I have offered them up to the Tamiya and at first glance it's a better fit, but only due to how the fuselage is constructed. The Revell fuselage has better contours in this area and as soon as I make the right cuts, it should open up just right for the Burners.

Tamiya for your viewing pleasure (I can't get them to sit in the Revell fuse yet). You can see the PHorces in play PHysically PHushing the PHantom rear PHuselage outwards ;)

PXL_20201130_182959118

Cheers,

WV908

They do look nice, I am curious as to how they will fit in my Tamiya kit after all the hacking up I have done....

M0QmPL.jpg

I shall know soon enough I guess...I will report back when they arrive.

• Like 2

Just now, Anthony in NZ said:

They do look nice, I am curious as to how they will fit in my Tamiya kit after all the hacking up I have done....

M0QmPL.jpg

I shall know soon enough I guess...I will report back when they arrive.

From what I've seen of your build they will fit first try :)

Cheers,

WV908 

As silly as it may first appear, the Phantom (in this case an FG.1) model in War Thunder is an excellent shape reference to use as I believe the Russian based developers scanned XT899. It certainly looks right! 

20201130_184935

I do have shots of my FGR.2, but not from the cinema mode so there's a bunch of unnecessary rubbish on it and to be fair this angle of a teammate's FG.1 shows the shape off nicely.

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WV908 said:

From what I've seen of your build they will fit first try :)

Cheers,

WV908 

LOL, we'll see about that....its been a tough road to how, partly due to my own lack of knowledge on Brit Phantoms and the very steep learning curve I have had to take! Usually involving doing things 2x LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WV908 said:

As silly as it may first appear, the Phantom (in this case an FG.1) model in War Thunder is an excellent shape reference to use as I believe the Russian based developers scanned XT899. It certainly looks right! 

20201130_184935

I do have shots of my FGR.2, but not from the cinema mode so there's a bunch of unnecessary rubbish on it and to be fair this angle of a teammate's FG.1 shows the shape off nicely.

Cheers,

WV908

Wow, beautiful belly detail....Strangely enough I cant wait to start detailing the belly area, with all the doublers, rivets and panel lines etc...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Usually involving doing things 2x

I feel you pain haha, but that is the bane of scratch building. The first go a piece you make is nearly always a trial piece haha. 

Actually, go on have my FGR.2 (please don't shoot me for sticking jaws on it haha) ;

20201130_185651

Cheers,

WV908

1 minute ago, WV908 said:

I feel you pain haha, but that is the bane of scratch building. The first go a piece you make is nearly always a trial piece haha. 

Actually, go on have my FGR.2 (please don't shoot me for sticking jaws on it haha) ;

20201130_185651

Cheers,

WV908

Now that's very nice!  Quite like that scheme....well done you are very talented!

So true about the first piece being a trial!

4 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Now that's very nice!  Quite like that scheme....well done you are very talented!

The 1992 blue scheme is a purchasable camo in the game so I can't quite take credit for that haha - If it has done it I would have added the serial and squadron crests :)

The jaws are additional 'decals' of sorts. I'm hoping they'll do a 92sqn crest soon then I can actually do it up properly. 

it is a fun, if not overly realistic playing game, but the visuals and quality of the models are second only to DCS really. The issue with DCS is you need to remortgage your house to buy anything so I'm more than happy with this for now (and they just added the Harrier GR.3 which is stupidly fun to fly..... The Toom is still my favourite though ;) )

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1