1/72 Helller Messerschmitt Bf-108 Taifun

Dear fellow Britmodellers,

here's my 1/72 Heller Bf-108 Taifun in Winter Camo.

Painted with Gunze/Mr Hobby arcylics, photographs by Wolfgang Rabel.

3155912f-b372-437c-aa37-4ca1d321be52.jpg

The Heller kit was originally released in the late 60s/early 70s, so it's about my age.

All parts are still sharply moulded and fit together reasonably well, although the level of detail is well below modern kits.

I added some PART photo etch pieces (instrument panel, seatbealts, gear doors, etc), but you can't see much of the interior through the thick plastic canopy.

Markings for a snow camouflaged aircraft were taken from the FLY Bf-108 kit.

ca37be60-174f-4472-af1b-12a0d9e8a673.jpg#

62977545-d29e-4796-b226-036668230659.jpg#

The patchy and worn winter scheme was created by painting the standard splinter camo first, then masking random spots with pieces of Tamiya tape and Vaseline creme, brushed along the edges, before overspraying the airframe with Gunze H451 White.

85542167-eed7-43ac-8879-05dbeaccef7b.jpg

5f7f0012-d1b0-4646-aff8-e578558f55d8.jpg

8e5dd1e4-6bd5-40c1-99a4-5b7dc0ab3927.jpg

0344da4c-99b8-4f1c-b6c6-c17f834872a6.jpg

9435a794-d22c-42a1-95c1-a0bccbc1a324.jpg

0e8ca542-1cae-41dc-93ca-cf1155441632.jpg

6601fa2b-6dd0-4205-a162-5da5923cf410.jpg

c7c6a45e-4d63-4750-bd1a-033a5438594d.jpg

3f7ce5a8-f021-440c-bab0-334c3893afe5.jpg

d65c05e5-7ccf-4398-b8b7-e7afecbbf7c2.jpg

9cea95c7-3eb8-4ce9-9ebd-7a40ffc92a6d.jpg

Thank you for your interest, best greetings from Vienna!

Roman

• Like 38

Nice one Roman. This was one of the first kits I made and I remember it went together well compared to some other manufactures. Your enhancements have produced a little beauty.:like: The temporary snow camo has worked a treat. how on earth did you come up with that method?

Cheers

Pete

22 minutes ago, Pete in a shed said:

Nice one Roman. This was one of the first kits I made and I remember it went together well compared to some other manufactures. Your enhancements have produced a little beauty.:like: The temporary snow camo has worked a treat. how on earth did you come up with that method?

Cheers

Pete

Hello Pete, best greetings to Oxfordhire, and thank you very much for your feedback.

Initially, I had planned to use the AK "Worn Effects" product, which I had received a test sample of (thanks to fellow Britmodeller @Dieter!).

Unfortunately I was not able to achieve the desired results. 

So I switched back to my old-fashioned method of Vaseline Creme.

This works well to cover the edges of masked areas with a stiff brush, resulting in a chipped effect, and does not react with the paint underneath,

After painting the Vaseline creme can be wiped off with a dampened cloth.

I often find myself returning to "old-fashioned techniques" beacuse I know they work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roman Schilhart said:

I often find myself returning to "old-fashioned techniques" 

Maybe old-fashioned to you Roman, but like Pete I've never heard of it before! I really like the effect you got with it! I also like the rough effect around the code letters!

Really nice little model!

Keith

Beautiful Messerschmitt!

The vaseline masking turned out very convincing. Some day, I have to try it myself (I think, some people also used tooth paste or Vegemite in a similar way). I am just a little sceptical because normally we avoid anything greasy on our models like the plague. Can you still paint a clear cote or some weathering above the model or would it be repelled by the greasy residues from the vaseline?

A unique and beautiful representation of a seldom seen type.  There`s a lot to like about this 108.  Great results as usual and superb photography from Wolfgang.  :goodjob:

Mike

9 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Can you still paint a clear cote or some weathering above the model or would it be repelled by the greasy residues from the vaseline?

Vaseline creme can be removed from the surface with a damp cloth and leaves no residues!

• Thanks 1

Lovely work and the Vaseline creme technique is one I will try.  Was there a varnish layer above the registration letters to protect the decal?

Sorry...had to edit...is the vaseline you are using the same normal petroleum jelly vaseline or a special type?  

57 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Lovely work and the Vaseline creme technique is one I will try.  Was there a varnish layer above the registration letters to protect the decal?

Sorry...had to edit...is the vaseline you are using the same normal petroleum jelly vaseline or a special type?  

Thank you for your interest, John.

I sprayed a protective layer of Gloss Cote after completing the base colors (RLM70/71) and adding the decals.

The decals were covered with post-it paper masks (for the fuselage & wing crosses, as well as the swastika), while the code letters were overbrushed with Vaseline creme.

I was afraid that any masking would lift the code letters off - while I have literally hundreds of wing crosses as replacements, I only had one set of letters!

The Vaseline creme around the code letters creates a rough, scrubbed-off effect.

Next, the white winter distemper was added.

Then I carefully removed the Vaseline with a warm damp cloth. Running a toothpick along the panel lines and over the surface you can add more chipping and scratches. You can also use masking tape to lift the Vaseline off the surface. It will leave no residues.

Finally, another layer of Gloss Cote was sprayed over, before I applied weathering with artist oils.

The Vaseline used is the regular product you find in stores, no special type. You may use Nivea creme (or even Marmite, for our friends from Down Under!) to achieve the same result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi My Friend Roman!!!

Congratulations for this beautiful Masterpiece you show us here!!!

I have watched it carefully as have one in my bench waiting for painting…really a tempting ideas came to my mind when I watched this magnificent build you have done here. Have watched the bird carefully and have liked a huge lot the way you have finished this beauty, nice done job My Friend!!! Was watching my build …but think will go for the silver British RAF Aldon as it was classified as the fastest courier aircraft they had, as even with a full Squadron of captured examples of this beautiful aircraft in service.

BTW: Thank you very much for the Vaseline Technique explanation you did. Nice old School trick that do the job very well even though the time has passed!!!

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso  

• 2 weeks later...