Wrestling a Spitfire PR.X out of an ICM Mk.VII Kit

Hi all;

Here's my just-completed Spitfire PR.X which I built by converting an ICM Mk.VII kit.  The WIP thread can be found here; 

There's a long list of things to do to create a PR.X and in no particular order...

• Make and insert the pressure bulkheads in the cockpit
  • Fabricate and install the humidity absorption crystals container 
  • Remove pilot’s head cushion (not present on PR.X)
  • Convert the rear canopy section to pressurised configuration
  • Fabricate and attach the Lobelle Canopy hinges and hardware
  • Fabricate the black rubber sealing around windscreen and canopy rails
  • Replace kit parts with vacform “Lobelle” canopy
  • Fill the pilot access door panel lines (not present on PR.X)
  • Omit the dorsal fuselage signal lamp
  • Remove the gunsight holder (not present on practically all PR Spitfires)
  • Drill holes for the cameras and scribe for the starboard fuselage access hatch
  • Remove the bakelite antenna post base (post not present on PR.X)
  • Replace kit part for the lower engine cowling (oversized on PR Spitfires)
  • Replace the carburettor intake with extended version
  • Remove gun barrels and fill all associated panel lines on the wings
  • Scribe “Bowser” wing tank fuel filler cap and vent tubes
  • Attach auxiliary fuel pump covers to the underside of the wings

I also enhanced or replaced the kit following parts with resin replacements as the detail is soft or incorrect in the kit parts;

• Replace spinner and propeller blades
  • Replace main wheels (from an Eduard kit)
  • Replace exhausts

The pics;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I became fascinated with the PR role and its challenges; there's a few more pics and what I learned on my site.

Thanks for looking; critique is very welcome, especially as it pertains to accuracy.

Cheers;

Mark.

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 47
  • Thanks 3

Hi Mark 

Congratulations on such a lovely model, I enjoyed you WIP and journey with your conversion.   The finish is great with the restrained weathering and although I am no expert, look right to me.  Great job. Looking forward to your next project now.

Chris

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mahavelona said:

Not only a beautiful build but a major inspiration. I'm going to save your list for future reference..

Thank you.  I must give a shout out to @Troy Smith for much of the info I used in assembling that list.

11 hours ago, wellsprop said:

That is a super looking Spitfire! 

11 hours ago, swralph said:

Nice one.😀

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The finish is great with the restrained weathering and although I am no expert, look right to me.  Great job. Looking forward to your next project now.

5 hours ago, Spitfire madman said:

Outstanding work very well done 👍 

Thanks for the comments gents.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Angell328 said:

Amazing build and the finish is sublime. Seeing the wings so clean of weaponry makes her look like she is getting ready for an air race.

It does, doesn't it?  I think that's why I really like the look of the PR Spits, they look so clean.

17 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

One of the most beautiful and carefully researched Spitfire PR:s I can remember seeing.

Thank you, the research and story is at least as important as making the model; to me it's a very large part of the journey to arrive at the finished model.

Dear all, @Baldy, @RMCS, @Angell328, @F-32, @Spitfire31 and @Wulfman - thanks all for the kind comments.

Cheers;

Mark.

Very nicely done, you don't often see a PRX built.   :goodjob: 

One point of accuracy critique, though: I rather think the PR X had the curved PR windscreen rather than the fighter one.  Unless your reference for that particular aircraft says otherwise, of course.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, MikeC said:

One point of accuracy critique, though: I rather think the PR X had the curved PR windscreen rather than the fighter one.  Unless your reference for that particular aircraft says otherwise, of course.

Hi Mike, thanks for the comment.  Actually, the PR.X did have the fighter windscreen.  I’m not sure why, likely because the fuselage was the Mk.VII or maybe because of the pressurised cockpit, but whatever the reason the windscreen wasn’t the same as for the PR.XI and PR.XIX.  Here’s a pic of a PR.X showing which was fitted;

spacer.png

@Dennis_C thanks for the comment too.

Cheers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mark.au said:

Hi Mike, thanks for the comment.  Actually, the PR.X did have the fighter windscreen.  I’m not sure why, likely because the fuselage was the Mk.VII or maybe because of the pressurised cockpit, but whatever the reason the windscreen wasn’t the same as for the PR.XI and PR.XIX...

Well  it seems the memory let me down there. Just checked my copy of Merlin PR Spitfires and was reminded that the PRX did indeed have the fighter windscreen to maintain the structural strength of the cockpit. My apologies.

• Like 1