Pacific Sherman with improvised armour

gmoss

On 11/25/2020 at 12:46 PM, spruecutter96 said:

From what I've read, the Germans had a similar problem with Soviet soldiers climbing on to their tanks and trying to mess them up. I've seen photos of Tiger 1's in Russia with coils of barbed wire garnished all around their upper hull, in answer to this. How effective this was, I have no idea. 

Then you had the factory-applied Zimmerit paste on German AFV's. This was applied to stop magnetic mines from sticking to the vehicle's skin. Apparently, this was a solution without a genuine problem. I believe there is no record of the Russians ever having used magnetic-mines, so the Germans went to a lot of effort for nothing.

The Soviets did train dogs to run under tanks with explosive-charges strapped to their backs, which I believe might have been magnetically-triggered. From today's perspective, this seems like a very cruel tactic, but considering what the Russians went through during the German invasion, you can see why they did it. They were incredibly desperate times.

Chris. 

Hi Chris

Yes, I've read about that too.  I'd like to do a Tiger some day with barbed wire attached to it...

From what I've read, the Germans had a similar problem with Soviet soldiers climbing on to their tanks and trying to mess them up. I've seen photos of Tiger 1's in Russia with coils of barbed wire garnished all around their upper hull, in answer to this. How effective this was, I have no idea. 

Then you had the factory-applied Zimmerit paste on German AFV's. This was applied to stop magnetic mines from sticking to the vehicle's skin. Apparently, this was a solution without a genuine problem. I believe there is no record of the Russians ever having used magnetic-mines, so the Germans went to a lot of effort for nothing.

The Soviets did train dogs to run under tanks with explosive-charges strapped to their backs, which I believe might have been magnetically-triggered. From today's perspective, this seems like a very cruel tactic, but considering what the Russians went through during the German invasion, you can see why they did it. They were incredibly desperate times.

Chris. 

Hi Chris

Yes, I've read about that too.  I'd like to do a Tiger some day with barbed wire attached to it...

Chris. 

Hi Chris

Chris. 

Hi Chris