Hey guys.

No build log because I just did the plumbing, wiring and painting on this one.

When I got it the interior had been done and the front hull was closed up so I never saw much of the interior although I did find a bunch of bits that the builder had left out...

The Nelson Institute for Marine Research.

A privately owned corporation with their own atomic powered submarine equipped with nuclear missiles, what could go wrong?

Avs5Khvh.jpg

This is the Moebius 1/128th scale TV version kit.

I don't remember who did the lighting kit off the top of my head, but it seemed just a bit over done with some seriously heavy gauge wiring and over sized LEDs.

It did include some light sheet for the control room overhead which was nice.

0ZI7q7Ih.jpg

I always liked the Irwin Allen craft. From the Jupiter 2 to the Seaview and the Flying sub, they just looked cool to me.

FRrtQXQh.jpg

YhYLkDhh.jpg

And all the ancillary craft to go with it.

The Flying sub was always one of my favorite ship.

Even in 1/128th scale it looks good!

The top hatch was replaced with a neodymium magnet to mount it in its hangar bay.

NhXDojCh.jpg

I did break down and pick up the Paragrafix set for the mini sub.

I liked the fold up interior but the decals were absolutely awful.

One thick solid sheet of carrier film that didn't respond to any of my decal solvents.

I wound up only using the stripe for the diving bell and dumped everything else.

Okay!

Now to find my seamonster suit and take this sucker down to the local swimming pool!...

MV5BNmFiZjBjZmUtOTdkYS00YmU0LTlkMjItMjZi

Thanks for looking guys!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Epic result. That is one nice looking model.

This was a must watch when I was a lad. And in black and white too. That seamonster suit looks a bit sad now though.

All those flashing lights in the control room, every so often someone would let off a CO2 extinguisher or a giant squid might turn up.

I built a flying sub a few years ago. I was always fascinated with the seat belts in that thing for some reason when I was young.

Even then though I did wonder at quite how hard it struck the surface of the water!

• Thanks 1

This brings back a lot of memories - thank you!  Great model, I wonder of the electrics are old stock, perhaps?  That might explain their size etc.  Lovely models - well done!

PS - Some plans available here:  http://www.nimr.org/techno.html

Edited by Alpha Juliet
Weblink added
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the looks, likes and comments lads!

8 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Epic result. That is one nice looking model.

This was a must watch when I was a lad. And in black and white too. That seamonster suit looks a bit sad now though.

All those flashing lights in the control room, every so often someone would let off a CO2 extinguisher or a giant squid might turn up.

I built a flying sub a few years ago. I was always fascinated with the seat belts in that thing for some reason when I was young.

Even then though I did wonder at quite how hard it struck the surface of the water!

Weeel, I dunno about  epic but it is a pretty impressive hunk of plastic sitting on a shelf!

I have the large scale flying sub with a pile of aftermarket goodies on a shelf in my shop waiting for me to get around to it.

I want to do a full lighting kit on that but who knows when I'll get around to that...

I always used to wonder how they survived crashing that thing into the sea myself.

Thanks @Alpha Juliet, just what I need. MOar reference material!  :wacko:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...