1/48 Typhoon 1b Hasegawa/Italeri

GRK

Hi all

May I present the latest build, the Italeri/Hasegawa Typhoon. I posted a WiP which is here for anyone interested: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235081953-italerihasegawa-typhoon-ib/. I think i'll leave WiP to those that are doing something more adventurous with their kits in future as I don't think i offered much in mine but I think it helped me finish the build a bit quicker if nothing else (1 month)!

This kit threw a few things at me but unusually it was mainly the painting (I had to re-do the fuselage stripes as put them in the wrong place and i had a very interesting reaction with MRP paint to hairspray).

IMG_2500

Anyway i managed to work my way round this and if anyone else has experienced this effect when spraying hairspray over MRP (this also had MRP gloss coat on) then please let me know if there's anyway of getting round this MRP/Hairspray reaction! Keen to use hairspray chipping with MRP in the future!

Anyhow back to the end result!

IMG_6185

IMG_6187

IMG_6189

IMG_6190

IMG_6191

IMG_6204

IMG_6207

Capture

And here she is in the display case with the others!

IMG_2551

Onwards to the next built (already started):

IMG_2550

Thanks for looking!

• Like 55

38 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

I think that’s a smashing model, despite your problems she is beautifully finished, good job that man!

Thank you, it resisted but got there in the end! Pleased with the end result and lots of lessons learnt!

12 hours ago, Angell328 said:

Wonderful finish, really captured the look of a the hard working brute of an airframe.

4 hours ago, Nikola Topalov said:

That' a pure beauty! Great paintwork and finish on an awesome bird! Well done man. 

Best, 

Nikola

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow, this turned out gorgeous   great work and great recovery from  the paint  and hairspray incident.  You have a lovely model to join the other lovely looking models in your cabinet too.  

Chris

Thanks all, glad you like it and always nice to read your comments. Totally agree with you that the Tiffy is a brute, but a beautiful one at that!  The Airfix 1/72 Typhoon was my first model but my dad made it for me not sure it counted as 'my' first (which was a Kittykawk) so nice to do my own!

• Like 1

Lovely Tiffie!

Might be making a muppet of myself here but I thought that the hairspray technique was an acrylic technique relying on the top coat being water pervious enough to allow the water to dissolve or partly dissolve the hairspray below. MRP paints are not acrylic and will not dissolve or allow water to pass. I have only used the technique a couple of times myself but my top colour has always been thinly applied acrylic paint.

Cheers

Malcolm

20 hours ago, CJP said:

Nice model, really captures the feel of the full size machine

CJP

Thanks, that's good to hear-always the aim but not always met! 😀 

18 hours ago, Baldy said:

Lovely Tiffie!

Might be making a muppet of myself here but I thought that the hairspray technique was an acrylic technique relying on the top coat being water pervious enough to allow the water to dissolve or partly dissolve the hairspray below. MRP paints are not acrylic and will not dissolve or allow water to pass. I have only used the technique a couple of times myself but my top colour has always been thinly applied acrylic paint.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm. No muppets here, apart from maybe myself! I had the same thought as I've always used Tamiya in previous builds and have only tried MRP on the last two and just assumed that Hairspray/ MRP wouldn't work as it lacquer based. I did a bit of googling and youtube watching and apparently others have used hairspray technique on MRP successfully. Most people seemed to use a fine grit sandpaper on the MRP before brushing on the water to allow it to settle through the paint and then they just brushed it off like an acrylic. I did try this but couldn't claim it worked brilliantly, certainly not as well as an acrylic. I might post a separate topic here to see if others have tried it with more success but i certainly haven't heard of others mentioning the reaction i got with the hairspray. 

I'm going to try a few things as on with the Malta Spit next and want to show the desert camo through the Malta blue but still keen on using MRP.

Edited by GRK

I know my comment is a mere echo from others above, but the model (and photography) looks very much like the real thing, you did capture the nuances of the Tiffy remarkable well. Congratulations and thanks for sharing, really inspirational 

Edited by Holzhamer

37 minutes ago, Holzhamer said:

I know my comment is a mere echo from others above, but the model (and photography) looks very much like the real thing, you did capture the nuances of the Tiffy remarkable well. Congratulations and thanks for sharing, really inspirational 

Thanks! Certainly a big compliment, your builds are amazing. Still remember that Aichi Seiran you did!

• Thanks 1