1/32 Tiger Moth by ICM

treker_ed

New boxings in 2021.

- ref. 32036 - de Havilland DH.82C Tiger Moth, WWII RCAF Training Aircraft NEW - II quarter

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ICM32036

- ref. 32037 - de Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth with WWII RAF cadets NEW - III quarter

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ICM32037

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

I noticed that RCAF ones are now listed. BUT..... will they do all the necessary mods that Canadian Tigers had?? Raked forward undercart legs, brake lines, tail wheel, different cockpit altogether including instruments canopy etc!  Narrower metal struts, hand grips at wing tips, troughs for deeper footwell  for rear cockpit, trim tabs to elevator trailing edges and any others I can't think at the moment. All these will SO visible in the big scale!

• Like 1

I agree... It really is a different aeroplane, albeit one with common design DNA. As is the Queen Bee. A lot like Gauntlet versus Gladiator: it;s a lot more complicated than a casual look would suggest.

12 minutes ago, Paul J said:

will they do all the necessary mods that Canadian Tigers had?

Really looking forward to this but I notice the kit has the upper wing leading edge slats.

https://icm.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/32035_manual_web-1.pdf

I can't find any information as to what denoted these to be fitted. Was it by date or serial number?  I have Stuart McKay's excellent book and numerous others but it seems a somewhat elusive subject. 

There are some very early photos in the book that show them fitted and some later ones that haven't..

Also,  I believe the rear fuselage anti spin strakes weren't fitted until late 1941? Would I be correct on this? I'd really like to build a 10 EFTS aircraft from Yatesbury (cover of the book) and of which there are photos in the book dated 'early 1940' and these certainly haven't got them but they do have the slats. Anyway, all information greatly received as usual.

The slats were optional extras on civilian sales, but as far as I know all the military 82a production was built with them.

Some aircraft had them removed for reasons of serviceability, especially post-war civilian examples. The aircraft is perfectly safe and flyable without them. 

If you're building an RAF-contract 82a in service, put the slats on unless you have a photo that proves otherwise.

Anti-spin strakes: certainly none pre 1941. While spin testing took please in two sessions during 1940 and 1941, the RAe report detailing the mods is dated November 1941 so I think you are safe from them until at least then.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dedicated 1/32nd De Havilland DH82 Tiger Moth brass undercarriage parts, 3D printed optional wheels, and a set of brass wing struts by Aerocraft Models.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/aerocraftmodels/posts/730892254294432

BIG SCALE 1/32 De Havilland DH82 Tiger Moth brass undercarriage parts, 3D printed optional wheels, and a set of brass wing struts.

I redrew the undercarriage in 3D, improving the detail and the detail has come out really well in the brass casting. I have also drawn and 3D printed wheel options with more details. The wheels will be supplied as 3D printed resin parts. Below are CAD pictures and of the brass and printed parts, ps I will be replacing the actual parts pictures as these are not the best.

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/de-havilland-dh82-tiger-moth-brass-undercarriage

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/de-havilland-dh82-tiger-moth-brass-wing-struts

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/de-havilland-dh82-tiger-moth-spoked-resin-wheels

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/de-havilland-dh82-tiger-moth-smooth-cap-resin-wheels

159840411-730891687627822-14400669338764 159905244-730891727627818-72541056757622

160293208-730891760961148-65689354010658

V.P.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • treker_ed changed the title to 1/32 Tiger Moth by ICM
15 hours ago, bradleygolding said:

Tigers have appeared/doubled for many different aircraft in the movies, could be a whole group build topic!

Steve

Yes.   Good idea.   I've got Encore's Blue Max version of Rodens Pfalz too.

Okay just to get everyone started. Here is my off the top of my head list of where Tigers played other aircraft.

Villa Rides       ‑—Curtiss Jenny.

Lawrance of Arabia     —Rumpler C.IV, Fokker DVII.

The blue Max  —SE5, Pfalz DIII, Fokker DVII.

Thunderbird 6 —TB6.

Darling Lilli?    —Probably all of these, SE5, Pfalz DIII, Fokker DVII.

Richthofen and Brown —SE5, Fokker DVII, Pfalz DIII (many brightly coloured).

Zeppelin          —SE5?

I Shot Down the Red Baron I Think (Footage shot, but not completed)— SE5, Pfalz DIII, DVIIs.

Biggles Sweeps the Skies?      —BE2, Rumpler C.IV (Aircraft built, but film cancelled).

The Great Waldo Pepper        ‑—Curtiss Jenny(Canadian Tigers were used).

The Aviator (with Christopher Reeve)            ‑—Curtiss Jenny

Aces High        —Random German biplanes.

I am sure there are others, but in these films tigers flew as these planes.

Steve

Edited by bradleygolding
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, bradleygolding said:

Okay just to get everyone started. Here is my off the top of my head list of where Tigers played other aircraft.

Villa Rides       ‑—Curtiss Jenny.

Lawrance of Arabia     —Rumpler C.IV, Fokker DVII.

Thunderbird 6 —TB6.

Darling Lilli?    —Probably all of these, SE5, Pfalz DIII, Fokker DVII.

Richthofen and Brown —SE5, Fokker DVII, Pfalz DIII (many brightly coloured).

Zeppelin          —SE5?

I Shot Down the Red Baron I Think (Footage shot, but not completed)— SE5, Pfalz DIII, DVIIs.

Biggles Sweeps the Skies?      —BE2, Rumpler C.IV (Aircraft built, but film cancelled).

The Aviator (with Christopher Reeve)            ‑—Curtiss Jenny

Aces High        —Random German biplanes.

I am sure there are others, but in these films tigers flew as these planes.

Steve

Thanks for that list.   Seen a couple like Aces High, TB6 and LOA but haven't seen some of the others.

On 4/5/2021 at 12:44 AM, bradleygolding said:

Tigers have appeared/doubled for many different aircraft in the movies, could be a whole group build topic!

Steve

Theres was a movie themed group build about a year and a half ago, hopefully there can be another again someday.  

And I believe there was one in the movie “Silver Streak” from 1976-77. Im pretty sure it was a De Havilland in that movie. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I think that there was one in Silver Streak, but it was just a Tiger rather than being a Sheep in Wolf's clothing. If we included Tigers in films as Tigers, the list would be pretty long!

Steve

Edited by bradleygolding
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, bradleygolding said:

The Blue Max: As well as the more obvious stock Tiger Moths with the front cockpit faired over and guns fitted, one of the two Pfalz D.IIIs (the Bianchi built aircraft) used a Tiger fuselage frame and can be differentiated from the Bellamy built aircraft by virtue of its length and Tiger rudder post (differently positioned rudder). It's still flying with TVAL here in NZ in the colours of Fritz Hohn's aircraft.

Biggles: the Tiger Moth based BE.2c G-AWYI was a very in depth conversion and I think you'd be better off chopping up a BE kit. It was restored and was all over the UK airshow circuit in recent years, as the Biggles Biplane, until a recent accident.

Waldo Pepper - they were Standard J-1s, and a Tiger doubled for one in a crash scene. Otherwise I believe it was real Standards.

Edited by k5054nz
  • Thanks 1

If I recall as well, there was a French TV series? in the 70s or 80s which resulted in a number of half replicas being made, and Tigers were used as the donor planes. I remember some photos in Aeroplane Monthly at the time. No idea what the show was though.

Steve

4 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

The Blue Max - As well as the more obvious stock Tiger Moths with the front cockpit faired over and guns fitted, one of the two Pfalz D.IIIs (the Bianchi-built aircraft) used a Tiger fuselage frame and can be differentiated from the Bellamy-built aircraft by virtue of its length and Tiger rudder post (differently positioned rudder). It's still flying with TVAL here in NZ in the colours of Fritz Hohn's aircraft.

Biggles - the Tiger Moth based BE.2c was a very in depth conversion and I think you'd be better off chopping up a BE kit. It was restored and was all over the UK airshow circuit in recent years, as the Biggles Biplane, until a recent accident.

Waldo Pepper - they were Standard J-1s, and a Tiger doubled for one in a crash scene. Otherwise I believe it was real Standards.

There is some talk that the Bianchi Pfalz D.III was based on a DH 60 and not a Tiger, I have no idea as I had always thought it a Tiger, but it is a massive conversion. In fact there is more real Tiger visible in Bianchi's Eindeker which used Tiger wings!

With Waldo Pepper there were two crashes with Tigers dressed as Jennies, but you are right they were only used in the crash scenes. Waldo's plane was a Standard.

The Biggles BE2 is a massive conversion again, but a fair amount of Tiger remains.

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bradleygolding said:

I think that there was one in Silver Streak, but it was just a Tiger rather than being a Sheep in Woolf's clothing. If we included Tigers in films as Tigers, the list would be pretty long!

Steve

I agree but always thought it could also have been portraying a Jenny ? 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

New boxings in 2022:

- ref. 32038 - de Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth - with bombs, WWII British training aircraft - release Q2 2022

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ICM32038

- ref. 32053 - Duo boxing "The English Patient' movie aircraft - DH.82 Tiger Moth and Stearman - release Q3 2022

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ICM32053

Tiger-Moth-32.png

32063-Patient-anglais.png

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1