Tante Ju und Onkel Ulf - (Eduard and Revell 1/144)

Andrew.S

Hello there!

After some time I would like to present you my next German project - little Junkers family (meant in 1/144 scale). I discovered the Junkers G.38 in an internet sale and I needed it immediately. I haven't met this machine before and it was somenthing new to me. Also I always wanted to try corrugated iron aircraft and this is the best option for me so far. Before I started the build of G.38 I also bought the Ju-52 (Eduard kit) in the same scale and the new idea was to do a dualbuild of these two corrugated iron designs.

But at first, let's have some fun with which I build these German models...(the Mont Python Flying Circus Johann Gambolputty Sletch) :D It always come to my head when I see the G.38 who knows why...

P1570375

I will go for this Tante Ju from the Berlin Olympics Games in 1936 and the G.38 D-APIS:

pic_19.jpg

Deutsche_Lufthansa_Junkers_G.38.jpg?1605

Let's go for the builds:

I started with the Tante Ju first - it is a model of a poorer quality so I wanted to be done quickly as possible. I glued the wings together which are now curing and then worked on the fuselage. First were the windows which fits perfectly. Then the interior parts such as floor, cokpit and the bulkheads. I made the new steering wheels (they were missing in the kit).Then I painted the interior with black Surfacer, only the cockpit with it's details I painted RLM_02 as recommended. After that I glued the fuselage together also with the back part. And that's the current state of the Ju-52 :)

P1570376 P1570377 P1570378 P1570381 P1570380

P1570382 P1570383 P1570384

The greates issue so far was the front bottom of the fuselage - the bottom nose section had to be spread out by 1.2 mm to fit with the wings:

P1570385 P1570386 P1570387 P1570388

The second problematic part was the back of the fuselage. This part is slightly bent and needs to be glued gradually. I started at the front and went to the tail:

P1570389 P1570390 P1570391 P1570392

(sadly some glue leaked onto the corrugated iron surface :( )

The second build (the Junkers G.38) started with the same process of the glueing the windows into the fuselage sides and clearing the other interior parts for painting. I will replicate the black colour interior due to it's small windows, only the pilot's cockpit will be colourful (and maybe the passenger area in the wing roots).
Look at the size comparison of the wingspan!

P1570393

P1570397 P1570394 P1570398

And both wrinkled aircraft together... :)

P1570395

Thanks for watching! :)

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

HI Andrew,

Nice project! I just recently (as in today😄) purchased this kit too, al lovely little kit. Definitely not my scale but when saw it I just needed one! 

Following you build closely! Speaking of that, how is your build coming along?

Erik