Douglas A-1E Skyraider 32649 – Major Bernard F. Fisher, Medal of Honor

This is my latest project from the Vietnam GB, an Douglas A-1E (AD-5) Skyraider as Flown by Medal of Honor winner Maj. Bernie Fisher. Seen here in the configuration the aircraft was the day he was awards this prestigious award.

Here is an account for those who may not know about him and how he was awarded the Medal of Honor. Interestingly, the day before he won the Silver Star for another mission.

https://www.airforcemag.com/article/1004valley/

The build was in 1/32nd and used the amazing Fisher Model & Pattern conversion kit, with a Trumpeter A-1J model as the donor kit. The build was relatively a straightforward a simple build, easily achievable for someone who has no resin experience but is a competent modeller. The only issue I had with the build (and probably only restricted to this particular model) was a moulding issue with the tail section of the main fuselage being to wide for the lower insert. It took some extra work but it all worked out in the end.

IMG_4742-L.jpg

I would highly recommend this model/Conversion if you’re ever lucky enough to obtain one of them……..though you may have to sell your first born to get one.

Unfortunately, Fisher Model & Pattern are no longer in business due to the devastation bush fires LA had a few years ago. The sad thing now is, they do occasionally show up on eBay but are starting to go for really silly money. They’re not being bought by modellers but people who either want to lock them away or re-sell them later for huge profit!!!

I can’t do that, models are meant to be built and ones like this especially so.

Thank you for looking and please enjoy, I will attach the link to the build as well.

Model: 

Fisher Model & Pattern 1/32nd A-1E Conversion

Trumpeter 1/32nd A-1J Skyraider

Paint:

Mr Paint (all main painting) and Tamiya Acrylics, Model Master Metalizer Lacquer for detail work.

Extras: 

AMS Resin – A-1 USN wheels

AMS Resin – A-1 Prop Blades

Master Model – Pitot & Gun Barrel set 

Zoukei-Mura – USAF Weapons Set 1 & 2

IMG_5151-XL.jpg

IMG_5152-XL.jpg

IMG_5153-XL.jpg

IMG_5154-XL.jpg

IMG_5156-XL.jpg

IMG_5158-XL.jpg

IMG_5160-XL.jpg

IMG_5164-XL.jpg

IMG_5165-XL.jpg

IMG_5166-XL.jpg

IMG_5167-XL.jpg

IMG_5147-XL.jpg

IMG_5149-XL.jpg

IMG_5169-XL.jpg

• Like 35

• trickyrich changed the title to Douglas A-1E Skyraider 32649 – Major Bernard F. Fisher, Medal of Honor

This is indeed an excellent A-1E Skyraider. I like the weathering. It is really realistic which makes it so perfect. I have seen quite a few Skyraider models before where the builder tended to overdo the wear and tear effects. In contrast, your weathering is totally authentic. One can clearly see from your pictures that you have done a lot of careful research to create such accurate effects. The end result of all that effort is simply impressive. 👏

• Thanks 1