1/700 HMS Illustrious R-06

Lifeline

Hi,

After finishing several aircraft and helicopters, I feel the need to build another ship.

And I guess I will be building Dragon 1/700 HMS Illustrious.. 

This is actually the first 1/700 Carrier I ever bought, and frankly I'm kind of a newbie in ship modelling, hence I hope it will be a good idea to post my progress here, knowing there's several experts on modern RN Carriers here who could correct me along the way.

20201121-142030.jpg

As you can see, I have prepare to add several PE's from WEM (716 HMS Invicible/Illustrious), Eduard (Naval Figures), and some generic railings from flyhawk and a chinese company. Also have the orange hobby for carrier deck tractors and a 3D printed mobile crane.

Knowing this kit is for the latest version of the lusty with additional parts for the fwd deck I dry fitted the deck and hull;

20201121-143953.jpg

20201121-143939.jpg

Noted some wrapping on the fwd area, and I need to add some details for the aft deck. 

But it seems the fwd area need a lot of work if using the provided plastic parts..

20201121-151647.jpg

Plus, I need to fill in the gap, and open area shown here

20201121-162820.jpg

Although not mentioned on the instructions sheet, the kit do provide brass fwd deck, and it have better fits, although the afromentioned problem are still there, plus I also need to cut out the brass to have a void right under the elevated deck

20201121-152040.jpg

20201121-162850.jpg

For now, I'm preparing to shave all those ugly raised lines over the main deck by meassuring all the lines location to be recreated later.

20201121-162228.jpg

Seemed a lot of work are ahead of this build, and most likely this will be a marathon rather than a sprint.. I just hope I have the skill and mental to finish it.

Any info/trick/tips/info are most welcome... :)

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 6

On 11/22/2020 at 12:27 AM, Courageous said:

I'm surprised that this realtively new kit is showing such errors up front.

Stuart

Yes,

And the more I compare the kit with the actual photo, the more I got confused. Dragon seemed to inteded to propose the kit as the 2004 version. But the aft mast is a joke, and they didn't provide small details.

On 11/22/2020 at 12:50 AM, AntPhillips said:

It's not that new a kit, it's a revised version of the original 1998 Shanghai Dragon HMS Invincible kit, it's been revised to cater for differences between the sisters and reboxed several times over the years.

Luckily the kit included details for the communication antenna on the aft of superstructure. So I think I would use those to backdate her to the 2001 version where they already have the longer flight deck but with older set of antennas and sensor.

Well that's the plan that is...

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

Not much happening for the model this past week. Most of it because I already onboard my workplace, and only able to work on the model in my cabin for few hours..

I decided to make the flight deck extension from plasticard based on the kit's PE deck. As this would be easier to fix according to my reference and any fitting later on.

20201121-195747.jpg

Also added some supporting structure on the original flight deck to give the extension deck more strength later on.

20201121-213328.jpg

Also added the screen wiper details on the superstructure using copper wire... I just hope it's worth it after the paint.

20201124-234107.jpg

On for the hull, I already start to drill our the area, and will add simple "hallway" behind it, hopefully will be better representation instead of plain box shaped notches the kit originally provided.

20201127-233240.jpg

20201129-231046.jpg

I remember from other WIP posts (@Ex-FAAWAFU ?) that the poop deck area was actually a smoking area, and I personally know how there's always be someone hanging around in the smoking area of a ship/vessel. So I want to add a little bit of details using plastic sheet. I plan to add several figures on the area later.

20201201-233801.jpg

I'm just not sure about:

1. Decking of the area. the only reference I got of the area is from a build by Frank Spahr (Airfix 1/350 HMS Illustrious), in which he simulated the deck as wooden deck. Is this correct?

2. I already make a simplified detail of wall section of the area (which also based on Frank Spahr's build). is the wall detail is correct on the Airfix 1/350 HMS Illustrious?   

Lastly, I also drilled out the forecastle area following the reference photo, and added the anchor chain.

20201129-233053.jpg

Any comments or info are always welcome... :) 

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 6

On 04/12/2020 at 03:55, Lifeline said:

Also added the screen wiper details on the superstructure using copper wire... I just hope it's worth it after the paint.

That's insanely small!  I struggle to make windscreen wipers in 1/48 scale and decided it was all too difficult in 1/350 but 1/700!  I'm well impressed.   They can only be, what, 1mm long?

I'm just not sure about:

1. Decking of the area. the only reference I got of the area is from a build by Frank Spahr (Airfix 1/350 HMS Illustrious), in which he simulated the deck as wooden deck. Is this correct?

I'm not an expert on ILLUSTRIOUS having landed on her a few times for fuel and went to one mess dinner on board, but certainly ARK ROYAL had a teak - or at least a teak lookalike - quarterdeck.

Lastly, I also drilled out the forecastle area following the reference photo, and added the anchor chain.

20201129-233053.jpg

Not sure what reference photo you were using for that Mario but the line of the cable doesn't look at all right.  I think its fine from the navel pipe up to the cable holder (capstan) but from there to the hawse pipe should, I would have thought, be a straight run.  Now I say that based simply on seamanship experience because when the cable is running out it jumps all over the place and anything that put an angle in its run would want to be avoided.  Unfortunately I've got no photographic evidence to prove that for Lusty though I did find an earlier photo in my collection of INVINCIBLE prior to the Sea Dart conversion that shows them being straight.  The hawse pipes are about where that lump is that the cables go around.

Hope that helps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mario - detail of Ark’s cable deck before Sea Dart removed (Jecobin plan, on which my long-paused Ark 5 build is based).  Chewy is right about the cables being straight:

50684083457_1dfeb03fee_b.jpg

There were lots of differences between the 3 hulls, but I’d bet money that the cable decks were identical.

Hope this is helpful!

Crisp

• Like 3

On 12/5/2020 at 7:21 PM, Chewbacca said:

That's insanely small!  I struggle to make windscreen wipers in 1/48 scale and decided it was all too difficult in 1/350 but 1/700!  I'm well impressed.   They can only be, what, 1mm long?

Well... it's not exactly the wipers, but it's the housing of the wipers (it is.. right?) the kit actually tried to print it. I can see it faintly through my magnifying glasses. I forgot the length, but probably around 0.5 mm-ish?

Thanks @Chewbacca and @Ex-FAAWAFU for the information on the cable deck.. 

I immediately went back to my cabin and change the shape of how the anchor chain run, and also alter some of the kit's details, and make anew Capstans using plastic rods.

20201206-235935-1.jpg

Yes, everything is still crude. but the chains are not glued yet. Not until I tidy up the surrounding area. Thanks for the photo @Ex-FAAWAFU provided I may add a few small details as per the plans.

On 12/5/2020 at 7:21 PM, Chewbacca said:

I'm not an expert on ILLUSTRIOUS having landed on her a few times for fuel and went to one mess dinner on board, but certainly ARK ROYAL had a teak - or at least a teak lookalike - quarterdeck.

Teak lookalike it is then...I think it would add a hidden interest to see a different color in an all grey vessel.

I guess simulating wood grain color in this scale.. we'll see...🙄

Anyway, I try to add small details on the wall and the deck. Blacks are markings for area I will cut out to simulate windows as per the photo from Frank Spahr's build article.  this wall also act as a cover for the big gap the kit has.

20201206-235912-1.jpg

Anyway.... was it called a poop deck or quarterdeck?

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 4

hi Mario,

Having spent a couple of months on the Lusty back in 2000, the Quarterdeck is indeed a wooden floored area. Not sure of the smoking use though ( I was clean living and didn't frequent such a place!), I know the smoking areas for the Non Commissioned ranks were the boat bays along the side, I think the Officers may have used the quarter deck? I cant provide too much detail on the ship I'm afraid as I was part of the Air Arm and didn't really take too much notice into the ship details! Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing this progress more.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, officers used quarterdeck sometimes - it was directly above their accommodation.  But not when an Admiral was embarked (which was often), since his cabin looked out directly onto it & he probably didn’t want to see Fagash Lil tabbing up every ten minutes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Small update....

I cut out most of internal details on the hull to ease the PE installation on the area. shaved area will rebuild using plastic strip later on.

20201127-235806.jpg

PE's for the hull added afterward, also added plastic stripe to the extension deck on the port side of the hull..

20201211-212748.jpg

Small question, Dragon molded small deck extended from the hull (red circle). Is it collapsible on the real thing? I haven't seen any picture of that deck when she was sailing.. My plan is to build her when sailing, should I shave them off?

Anyway, I also try to detail the aft mast(?) with plastic sheet, paper, and spare water tight door...

20201215-220733.jpg

Sorry about the picture.. I've rotate it in my laptop, but it always turned sideway whenever I upload it... hope your neck is still ok :)

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas, shipmates....🎅

I was lucky enough to be able to went back home couple of days before Christmas.

So the build continue in my own work bench.

Finished up buliding "faux hallway" behind the openings on the hull area.

20201224-111338.jpg

I decided to join the port and starboard hull, and the forecastle 

20201229-160835.jpg

20201228-110038.jpg

Which you can see, a lot of filling and sanding is required.

Further modification on the bow area.

20201228-110033.jpg

20201229-161102.jpg

Further clean up definitely required 😔

Way on the back, quarterdeck fits just fine. Added 2 figure on the area.. not much will be seen, but might add interest for those who actually see them tabbing on the clear view of the admiral...spacer.png

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 8

Quick question...

Any detail picture of the platform encircled below? 

Screenshot-20201231-085507-Chrome.jpg

I noticed in several build that the platform is the attachment point of the wiring coming from the funnel above... I know Airfix include it in yhe 1/350 kit.

But I can't find any picture of the parts.

Cheers,

Mario

Reshaping the deck forward section and filling the gaps on the area was actually easy and less stressing..

20201229-221016.jpg

20201229-221010.jpg

Added details on the side of the jump deck..

20210101-144800.jpg

And now the hard part; The set I got doesn't have the right details, so I have to modify or make the PE for the mast and funnel area from wires. 

20210103-210809.jpg

20210103-210947.jpg

Yes, not 100% like the real thing, and I'm 100% sure it's overscale... but at least there's something to represent the missing details.

Followed by modifying the bulwarks...

20210103-153839.jpg

Any input are most welcome...

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 4

Hi mario,

Cant comment on the part between the superstructure, I was a flight deck/Hangar rat so never ventured up to that deck. Great work so far, the conversion to the bow area isn't easy, takes a lot of filling and shaping and yours is looking good!

Bob

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Well, 

It's been a hectic 2 month, but finally I can return to the workbench.

I'm losing my mojo to be honest, but I was able to continue several things..

I was able to paint the flight decks, but unfortunately I forgot to take any pictures..

Then followed by attaching the island, and masked all the flight decks and other horizontal surface.

20210228-102014.jpg

Followed by Humbrol 127...

20210304-235611.jpg

Added platform and scratch details for the mainmast..

20210302-223010.jpg

I decided to use the kit provided PE parts for the 1022 Radar scanner, combined it with several of the plastic parts to achieve better looks of the radar. 

20210305-001418.jpg

The air wing production line also started...
20210305-003749.jpg

20210305-003817.jpg

20210304-234814.jpg

2 seakings will be depicted as AEWs, and 1 will be HC.4. I scrapped out the wheel and make a new one using wires and plastic strips. 

mobile crane is locally 3D printed.

Total of 10 sea harriers will be parked on the flight decks. 6 from the kits, and 4 are actually Orange Hobby' FRS.1 ( originally I only thought to take the tractors, but the aircraft looks too good). 

I tried to modify the harrier to make it more look like a FA2 by making the nose a bit blunt, and the WEM PE. I also added a small wire to depict the Air-Air Refuelling Probe for the kit's Sea Harrier.. but I can't decide if I better to have it on or off?

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The kit keep on fighting me....

With so many inaccuracies were found during the painting process. Plus, so many incidents.

For one; this is the first time I use Humbrol Enamel (again). After all dried, I coat the painted surface using my regular clear gloss coat; Mr. Color gloss coat (laqcuer). This caused the humbrol paint to cracked off. I was surprised because this never the case when I use other enamel (Tamiya, Revell). 

All these problems really turning my mojo off.. but, I decided just to bite the bullet and just concentrate to continue the build. To paint, clear gloss (with alclad aqua gloss this time), and simple wash using Mig Dark grey Enamel wash. Followed by PE railings, and rigging. Small parts followed afterwards..

And then, positioning aircraft and vehicle on the flight deck;

20210318-172837.jpg

20210318-172951.jpg

20210318-172737.jpg

I'll also add figures around the deck, and the Aircrafts and Vehicle are not glued yet, so any comments/corrections are most welcome...

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 3

Simple seascaping using Ammo-Mig Acrylics Water with and Vallejo Water Texture.

Actually I want to try technique of making foam and wake using cotton.. but I just haven't got the 'feel' yet. So I only use it for the wake behind the ship...

I hope it looks good enough?

20210323-152239.jpg

20210323_152212.jpg

20210323-152128.jpg

Any comments are most welcome... :)

cheers,

Mario

• Like 3

Aircrafts and figures added, safety nets and small  additional raillings... And, I think she is done...

20210326-113306.jpg

20210326-112545.jpg

Exhausting build for me and she was so close to become the shelf of doom member.. I don't really like the finish... But, at least 1 less stash from the shelf..

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 2