F1 1985 Part 2 - European GP

Sabrejet

As promised these are my photos from the 1985 European GP at Brands Hatch. Most are scanned from the negative using a Minolta DImage slide scanner, which gave beautiful results in terms of colour, but also REALLY showed up the scratches. That's why some shots have evidence of my (not brilliant) attempts to clean them up and some obviously don't. The rest are scanned from the negs I have found over the last few days, done with a much cheaper Kodak slide scanner, which is great at hiding scratches but has trouble with colour/contrast.

Watson/McLaren:

1 Brands 06Oct85 (40)

Capelli/Tyrrell (look at those fences! How lucky we were).

4 Brands 06Oct85 (20)

Mansell/Williams (on his way to his first GP win):

5 Brands 06Oct85 (30)

Rosberg/Williams:

6 Brands 06Oct85 (15)

Surer/Brabham:

8 Brands 06Oct85 (34)

Alliot/RAM (a Gustav Brunner car, as was the '87 Ferrari: he did design some good-looking racers):

9 Brands 06Oct85 (31)

De Angelis/Lotus:

11 Brands 06Oct85 (16)

Senna/Lotus:

12 (2)

Warwick/Renault:

16 Brands 06Oct85 (27)

Berger/Arrows:

17 Brands 06Oct85 (21)

Boutsen/Arrows:

18 Brands 06Oct85 (4)

Fabi/Toleman:

19 Brands 06Oct85 (39)

Laffitte/Ligier:

26 Brands 06Oct85 (7)

Johannson/Ferrari:

28 Brands 06Oct85 (36)

Martini/Minardi:

29 Brands 06Oct85 Martini

Danner/Zakspeed:

30 Brands 06Oct85 (35)

Jones/Haas:

33 Brands 06Oct85 (32)

• Like 9

Great photos - all the cars I think looked so much better than the things racing today. And the variety in design is also so much more interesting. Also interesting is how Laffitte's Ligier still has tobacco sponsorship while others have lost theirs...

Thanks for sharing!

Keith

Edit - just noticed some others still have tobacco sponsors - was this the transition era and it hadn't been permanently banned? I was only into rallying back then and would have thought the rally teams were all using 'psuedo' tobacco branding by '85 (but then, memory wasn't what it was!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Edit - just noticed some others still have tobacco sponsors - was this the transition era and it hadn't been permanently banned? I was only into rallying back then and would have thought the rally teams were all using 'psuedo' tobacco branding by '85 (but then, memory wasn't what it was!)

Yes - not sure what the ruling was, but suspect it was to be fully in place by '86. Funny too because I recall at the time people being less bothered by fag sponsors on Ligier, Arrows etc than the Skoal Bandit logos on the RAM. I even had a Skoal Bandit jacket and I recall my mother being unimpressed by it. 

• Like 1

Great photos. I agree with Keith in that the cars look so much cleaner without all the aero parts they use today . They should ban aero add ons in my opinion. Also noticed how high some drivers are sitting . 
Gary . 

• Like 2