A couple of Scimitars

CJP

I have been diverted off my Dynavector 1/48 Scimitar build by these two kits - one is the CMR Scimitar and the other is a rebuild of an old Skybirds 86 Scimitar in 1/72

The CMR had come up against a brick wall when I discovered that there were two right hand inner wing panels and no left hand panel.

Thanks to Hannants and CMR I happily ended up with the missing part -

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235079067-cmr-supermarine-scimitar-wing-fold-set/

CMR SUPERMARINE SCIMITAR 1/72

XD275 117/E 800B flight HMS EAGLE 1966

Basically built straight from the box with a few minor changes -

• I lowered the canopy sill line carefully as I thought the kit canopy sat a little high and then moulded a new canopy as the windscreen needed to be a bit wider-I struggled to get the canopy anywhere near the clarity of the kit offering but  I am happier with the look of the windscreen - a lot of clear plastic ended up in the bin.
  • I lengthened the tail bumper a tad.
  • made a new refuelling probe from 1/16inch aluminium tube.
  • scratch built a ladder from model railway 4mm scale signal ladder and Evergreen strip.
  • The palouste starter pod is from CMK
  • inserted some fine brass wire pins at the wing hinges for added strength.
  • Jury struts made from brass wire/tube rather than the flat kit etch part.
  • I found the kit pretty fiddly to get together in parts but the moulding's are superb, in particular the wing fold break - if you are building this CMR Scimitar do be careful of some of  the fine moulding that could be  mistaken for flash eg on the flaps and wing fold break - the wing fences are very delicate too and I managed to break them during handling & had to replace them. 
  •   I referred a lot to Navy Bird's CMR Scimitar build  along the way
  • Added a slice of Evergreen 3.2mm square tube to the top of the main landing gear struts to make the joint a bit stronger -
  • IMG-1072.jpg

IMG-1207.jpgIMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1183.jpgIMG_1175.jpgIMG-1174.jpg

IMG-1209.jpg

The front wheel and strut of the polouste had to be scratch built a the kit part disappeared into the carpet never to be seen again!

IMG-1214.jpgIMG-1217.jpgIMG-1215.jpgIMG-1216.jpg

SKYBIRDS86 SUPERMARINE SCIMITAR rebuild 1/72

XD317 as operated by Airwork FRU 1969 at Hurn Airport - decals are left overs from the CMR sheet

IMG-0768.jpg

• I now  had a spare wing from the CMR Scimitar so I fitted it to the Skybirds kit and added the front end of an old Xtrakit Scimitar - a lot of work but it seemed to work out ok.
  • Home made canopy & white metal ejection seat from the spares box although the Skybirds Ejection seat is ok
  • Scratch built FOD blanks & Harley Light nose from CMR kit
  • The Skybirds86 kit has some beautiful white metal castings for the landing gear etc

IMG-1196.jpgIMG-1219.jpgIMG-1220.jpg

IMG-1160.jpg

IMG-1191.jpg

IMG-1192.jpgIMG-1210.jpg

IMG_1181.jpgIMG_1187.jpg

CJP

Edited by CJP
PHOTO UPDATE
  • Like 53

Lovely pair of Scimitars, I built the Skybirds86 kit years ago and remember it having a very over-engineered parts breakdown but it turns out well.

The photo with the Swift really shows the bulk of the Scimitar!

Steve

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your kind comments - I still live in hope of a injection moulded Scimitar but in the meantime I am about half way through building the Dynavector 1/48 Scimitar.

CJP

• Like 1