Hi All,

having a bash at doing figures for my diorama, and as they are a first I am on a learning curve, one is a Mini Art the other is a Resicast, difference in detail is dramatic, but a big issue is getting the flesh colour right and on nicely, they seem to be too Pink or too White and even thinned 70 % thinner it is still stodgy and lumpy, using MIG flesh tone set, and a magnifying glass, already cleaned off a couple of times and redone.

First bash at doing figures

pointers gratefully accepted

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

I would go for a more of a tanned appearance because of course they were outside most of the time in all weathers. Plus they'll have dirty faces from recently being in action or just hurtling down dusty roads. 

I would start with a darker base which you can gradually lighten and highlight. Faces are not just monotone. It's a bit like applying makeup. Start with a base and add some highlights. But as with everything less is more. Check out photos of tank crew from the time. Actually stills from the movie Fury are a good example. 

Also with eyes, avoid white, tone it down. Use light blue, grey or light brown for the eye colour. Generally I would do the eyes first then the face. 

It's tricky but when you get the hang of it. It's very satisfying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for that much appreciated, any suggestions for make of paint ? The mig I have goes on very lumpy almost as if it dries to quickly even thinned 

thanks again

Mark

• Like 1

The problem with Mig paint is that it dries too quickly being acrylic. There are people who can use acrylics to good effect though. Conversely artist oils dry very slowly but allow lots of time for blending. The experts in oils can turn out some beautiful model faces. 

I've usually used enamels though. Doesn't dry too quickly but allows time for adjustments. 

I would start off a wood or leather base. Then highlight the high points, forehead, nose, chin, cheeks with a lighter colour. Dry brushing works well. Stay away from white around the eyes. Just a dot will do. After adding eyebrows, lip colour, not lipstick. After that you can use a thin wash of brown to simulate grime or just to add depth to the face. 

That's really all there is to it. I haven't tried it but it might work with an acrylic paint. 

It doesn't have to be perfect at the scale but it avoids the shop dummy look. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had good success using skin flesh washes  . You put your flesh colour on first then when dry put some flesh wash on and let it run into all the cracks in the face let it dry .Then you can highlight with your base colour as required, thats how i do and it works ,but you will get lots of different ways of doing it off other people so you have to experiment, anyway good luck .

• Like 1

Get yourself a flesh painting pack, usually comes with 5 or 6 bottles of various flesh tones. I use the AK flesh tone painting pack, it makes it easier to get the right tones. Acrylics do take a bit of getting used too but with retarder are every bit as good as any other medium for painting and blending.

https://ak-interactive.com/product/flesh-and-skin-colors-set/

This is what I managed with the set:- 

• Like 2
On 11/22/2020 at 8:53 PM, mbthejester said:

Cheers for that much appreciated, any suggestions for make of paint ? The mig I have goes on very lumpy almost as if it dries to quickly even thinned 

thanks again

Mark

Like Dads suggested, you could try a different skin tone set. I mainly use Vallejo paints and their Model Color (sic)  'Faces Painting Set' even comes with a handy 'how to' guide for reference.

I tend to buy my paint from these guys: https://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product-category/vallejo-products/vallejo-products-vallejo-model-color-sets/

I don't use any retarder, but I do use very thin paint. I live in a 'soft' water area, so just tap water, but if you have issues with chalky water their thinners are excellent, too.

Loving the build so far. 😀

• Thanks 1

Got the lifecolour set, brushes much better than the mig set, had a go on some Tamiya infantry, and also on the Resicast tankie, used some of mig very dark colour to try a wash, I am pretty pleased with result, not brilliant esp compared to some on BM. 

Getting to grips with figure painting

Resicast figure learning how to do flesh tones on it

Resicast figure learning how to do flesh tones on it

love the Resicast basin haircut 

cheers

Mark

• Like 2