Noorduyn Norseman photo collection

72modeler

I stumbled upon this photo collection entirely by accident, and I recall that @Moa and a few others  had a WIP and lengthy discussion on Norsemen with wheels, floats, or skis, so I thought some of these photos might be new or useful for modeling projects. What a variety of schemes and fits, and a couple of very nice closeup detail photos! Enjoy!

Mike

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=0BpyA5Pp&id=7453481BFC711AC22B0798AB7DD80E3EA6B90485&thid=OIP.0BpyA5PpU6zwA5AOiAEDXQHaF3&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.norsemanhistory.ca%2FPhotos%2FCN190.jpg&exph=507&expw=640&q=Noorduyn+Norseman+Cockpit&simid=607986817709638447&ck=AC0C10AAB9C21CD846203672EA7086B3&selectedindex=254&form=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&sim=11

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just got this from Carl Vincent and he wants me to post it for him.

" As the topic of the Norseman seems to be current, possibly I could ask for opinions as to this particular RCAF example. Original colour coverage of WW II RCAF aircraft is comparatively rare. The attached is from an original colour transparency in my collection which I obtained way, way back. It shows an RCAF Norseman of 122 (K) Squadron at Patricia Bay in mid-1942. If nothing else, it illustrates the utter futility of attempting to wax didactic on the topic of “standard colour schemes” of RCAF HWE aircraft. This appears to be a transitional scheme from the all-yellow one in which the aircraft was delivered (TOS May 1941). The question is, what is the colour(s) of the fuselage, tail and upper surfaces? There appears to be some indication that it is bicolour camouflage, but what kind? There seems to be no reason or precedent for it being USAAF OD. Opinions would be welcome. "

Carl

50629647518_96a948893a_b.jpg

Chris, for Carl

looks like Temperate Sea Scheme, which can vary quite a bit even in colour photos (and can be all over the place in b&w).  TSS would be right for floatplanes.  I would hazard a guess that the floats have come out of storage and possibly off a civil aircraft, and are waiting repaint.  After all, even away from the front line, there are always lots of other things to be found for poor servicemen to do.

• Like 1

Thanks to  @Carl V and his loyal lieutenant @dogsbody for posting this excellent photo.  I think I've just found a subject for one of my Matchbox kits (for all its flaws).  Agree with Graham: TSS (or at least the intent is to achieve something like TSS though I surmise that Canadian-sourced paints may not necessarily have been quite identical to MAP shades).

Now what's going with that float: Yellow being repainted into aluminium?

PS Fairly relaxed dress standards, I see.

Edited by Seahawk

I think its more of a dark green dark earth/brown camo. At least thats what it looks like to me. Not sure if the yellow on the floats is shadow more like a zinc chromate primer with the front end quite straight and unfinished at the rear ends.

Now I look more closely there is a silver border both above and below the yellow panel on the float: I think it's a yellow float being repainted in aluminium.  Inclined to think it is yellow rather than zinc chromate: all the yellow in the photo are washed out: the wing undersides and the roundel borders: the float is the same colour to my eyes.

• 4 weeks later...

On the day before I was born, Glenn Miller took off for France from Twinwoods Airfield near Bedford in a Norseman and was never seen again.

There is a small museum on the airfield dedicated to his memory.

I guess that the aircraft must have either came down or was shot down over the channel somewhere. If it was shot down I would have thought that there would be a record of this in Luftwaffe archives somewhere.

The Glenn Miller Orchestra did two venues in the UK. Bedford and High Wycombe. There is a bust of Glenn Miller in a small alcove outside the old Bedford Corn Exchange opposite the Old Market and St Peters Church.

22 minutes ago, Noel Smith said:

On the day before I was born, Glenn Miller took off for France from Twinwoods Airfield near Bedford in a Norseman and was never seen again.

There is a small museum on the airfield dedicated to his memory.

I guess that the aircraft must have either came down or was shot down over the channel somewhere. If it was shot down I would have thought that there would be a record of this in Luftwaffe archives somewhere.

The Glenn Miller Orchestra did two venues in the UK. Bedford and High Wycombe. There is a bust of Glenn Miller in a small alcove outside the old Bedford Corn Exchange opposite the Old Market and St Peters Church.

I have an old Aeroplane Monthly article somewhere, where it is told of a Lancaster returning from a daylight raid without dropping it's bombs. It was flying over The Channel, over a bomb release area, before returning to base. Just as it was releasing it's bombs, a crewman noticed a small aircraft below. The timing coincided with Miller's Norseman flight time. It was thought that Miller's pilot had drifted over the bomb release area, on their flight to France.

Chris

On 11/21/2020 at 9:29 PM, dogsbody said:

I just got this from Carl Vincent and he wants me to post it for him.

" As the topic of the Norseman seems to be current, possibly I could ask for opinions as to this particular RCAF example. Original colour coverage of WW II RCAF aircraft is comparatively rare. The attached is from an original colour transparency in my collection which I obtained way, way back. It shows an RCAF Norseman of 122 (K) Squadron at Patricia Bay in mid-1942. If nothing else, it illustrates the utter futility of attempting to wax didactic on the topic of “standard colour schemes” of RCAF HWE aircraft. This appears to be a transitional scheme from the all-yellow one in which the aircraft was delivered (TOS May 1941). The question is, what is the colour(s) of the fuselage, tail and upper surfaces? There appears to be some indication that it is bicolour camouflage, but what kind? There seems to be no reason or precedent for it being USAAF OD. Opinions would be welcome. "

Carl

50629647518_96a948893a_b.jpg

Chris, for Carl

Couldn`t tell you the colour Chris/ Carl,..it looks like it could be some local form of Dak Earth and Dark Green but it could be anything really,....... however could the precedent be the Cessna Cranes and Harvards which were also camouflaged on that coastline in case of Japanese aggression? Just a thought? 

Edited by tonyot

That's a superb photo collection, thanks for posting it. I'm planning a Norseman build for next year so these photos will be very helpful - although mine will be this one, if I ever get round to designing the decals:

img39.jpeg

It's the obvious choice for the ANZAC group build!

• Like 1