Revell 1:72 B17 91st BG "Little Miss Mischief"

Another B17 started a fair few weeks ago. Just got round to posting something here.

On the face of it this kit was rather nice looking so i thought i'd buy TWO and have a go at both to feed my USAAF hunger!. Having done a Liberator earlier on in the year and a few Tamiya 1:48 USAAF offerings this would be my next essay.

I'm planning on doing it OOB. Little Miss Mischief is the one i will do. I have another same kit in the stash so maybe something exotic.. Deffo NOT Memphis Belle.. again.

I've been watching the  Sky Documentary "Cold Blue" which is pretty amazing to get some inspiration. as it's about the 91st BG. 

I found the plastic in this kit a bit soft unlike Tamiya kits which are a lot harder and can take a decent sanding and polish.. Maybe it's just the example of the kit i got sent? Anyway

Here's some pics  

20201120_175922

Saw some close ups taken at an airshow of the superchargers  this pic doesn't really show the nice mix of sooty black and rust..

20201120_175943

20201120_180114

20201120_180343

20201120_180406

I loved doing the little maps and documents on the working tables! pity you wont see them but i enjoyed making this little personalised  touch!

20201120_180423

20201120_180529

This is the first time i've used the Tamiya Panel liner in Black and some nice results. I'm rather proud of the effect on the  engine cyclinders

There are a couple of options in the instructions which im confused about. two different tails and a cupola in place of the ball turret?

• Like 12

Made a little more progress this weekend. The choice is hard.. continue painting the house outside on scaffolding or do some modelling on a B17 lol.

Spent a lot of time painting the various parts of the engines. really finding 1:72 scale modelling difficult lol..hands and eyes not suited to this scale.

oh well have my 1:32 Scale Tempest to look forward to doing next maybe..

wings are glued and engines attached now... Bit of a struggle lol. Will take some pics and post them later.  Pity the entire engine is covered by the cowlings except the front bit! lol 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 2

Some more pics.. Dry fitting of cowls props and supercharger exhausts  wings glued up.. 

20201124_133533

broke the Ball turret when gluing the fuselage halves together  so had to quickly put the cupola in instead.. oh well its not gonna be historically correct for Little Miss Mischief but there you go! 

20201124_133009

20201124_132957

Close up of the engines   

20201124_132940

20201124_132924

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

glued the wings on and sprayed the front half with Mig Polished Metal acrylic. thinned it down just a little bit. It doesn't look too bad in my opinion. 

What i like most about this kit are the proportions and the nice panel lines. 

I did the Airfix "A Bit O' lace"  kit about 20 odd years ago, which side by side looks  very chunky and rivet bound compared to the Revell kit.

I found the Revell instructions especially the options confusing at times. Must be getting old!

More pictures to follow

The question is should i finish with a top coat of gloss acrylic varnish? Not tried this before. 

20201201_091636

20201201_091703

20201201_091620

Will redo a couple of panels where I mucked the paint up! 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
Adding new pics
  • Like 3

• Col Walter E Kurtz changed the title to Revell 1:72 B17 91st BG "Little Miss Mischief"
IMG_0777

I did a bit of research about the weathering, especially the exhaust patterns on the wings. It seems that the wing manifoldshave mostly dirty deposits above then cleaner air makes the dividers between the vents dirty.. I tried to capture this.

i liked the kit in general and it didn't fit together too badly all in all. ..however some of the smaller parts were very soft plastic and too fragile..I elected the rear which is not from the original aircraft as the mouldings were rubbishy.. 

I started this build in September and I would like to dedicate it to my Dad, Peter who sadly passed away on Oct 13th this year. He patiently taught me how to make Airfix models as a kid and really enjoyed what I'd done since lockdown. He would have loved to do something like this but being 87 his eyes and hands were not up to it. When The Carpet Monster gives up the last two parts I'll post some natural light pics in RFI thread. I don't think I'll do the radio antenna wires for this one. It's not perfect and the paint is a bit thick in some places. I need to learn still with the airbrush. My next USAAF offering will try the glossy primer I bought. The BMF with this is a mix of Hataka and Ammo Mig Metal. 

Andy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, SaminCam said:

Not far down the road from me either! I made this model a few years ago, in fact I think it was my first post on BM, though definitely didn't look as good as this - looking forward to some more photos!

Think that the base is much reduced now? i lived there  in 1986 ! Also i believe there wasd a museum in the old control tower but think that's closed also.. sad really. 

30 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Think that the base is much reduced now? i lived there  in 1986 ! Also i believe there wasd a museum in the old control tower but think that's closed also.. sad really. 

Indeed, looking at their website, it looks as though it closed earlier in the year. Maybe they'll be able to have something at duxford or madingley? I hope so

• Thanks 1

That's a shame. I keep meaning to visit Duxford again. Last time was in 2004. Don't know when it will be safe to do so again ☹️ I do remember the pub outside the Bassingbourne gates The Antelope. It's been a private house for many years now. The Eagle pub in Cambridge has the names of us airmen burnt in to the ceiling using lighters. There was some talk of them repainting it recently. ☹️

15 hours ago, SaminCam said:

Not far down the road from me either! I made this model a few years ago, in fact I think it was my first post on BM, though definitely didn't look as good as this - looking forward to some more photos!

B17-G "Little Miss Mischief" 91st Bomb Group, Bassingbourn early 1945. Revell's 1:72 kit

just took some more pics and have posted in the above in RFI. Hope you like the addition pics!

Andy

On 15/12/2020 at 19:18, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking build and lovely dedication to your Dad, my condolences  to you and yours.  

Great work on the model. 

Chris

Thanks for your condolences  Chris. I enjoyed the build and it gives me great pleasure that so many have appreciated it! . Pity my old Dad didn't get to see this one finished. We talked about B17s he saw as a child in wartime. He spent some months evacuated in Southwold in Suffolk so saw them every day. Sad times indeed for many of us. Cheers 

Andy