Jump to content

HMS Hood revelations


Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, dickrd said:

 

I am fairly certain that the model in the Glasgow Museum is not a John Brown 'builder's model' ie a model built at the same time as the ship herself either by apprentices in the shipyard or by the shipyard's own dedicated model builder. Photos of the model in the Glasgow Museum show that it shares numerous details with those to be seen in a photo of the Bassett-Lowke model which was made 18 years later and in Northampton 346 miles away. There can be no question but that the bottom should have been grey on a model depicting Hood as she entered service in early 1920.   The colour of the two coats of antifouling bottom paint applied to her in February 1920 is recorded in her Ship's Book (ADM 136/13 at the National Archives): 

 

Hood Feb 1920

 

Dickrd, can I just echo that thanks of others for the efforts you've put into this subject,

 

From what you've found I'm wondering if Repulse and Warspite would similarly have been a grey anti fouling as well, it would seem likely,

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Dickrd, can I just echo that thanks of others for the efforts you've put into this subject,

 

From what you've found I'm wondering if Repulse and Warspite would similarly have been a grey anti fouling as well, it would seem likely,

 

 Thank you!

 

Re Repulse and Warspite, it's tempting to think so given everything, but we cannot be sure. Their Ship's Books do not survive and I have not yet come across any reference to their bottoms in any other documentation. I am unaware of any Builder's Models of them. The only suggestion I have come across is re Warspite from a 1958 Eagle magazine coloured cutaway illustration which, interestingly, features a grey bottom. For 1958 it is a striking choice of colour. Did someone on the Eagle team actually know something? Or is the drawing a reprint of something done in 1937 in which case it is even more interesting!:      

Warspite b

 

Edited by dickrd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

I think I'll go grey, as you say it's looking increasingly likely, but does mean my cabinet will look increasingly dull lol

Gidday, I guess that's one of the benefits of dazzle camo in warships. I've found that it can slow down a build but liven up the display cabinet somewhat. Regards, Jeff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, dickrd said:

Photos of the model in the Glasgow Museum show that it shares numerous details with those to be seen in a photo of the Bassett-Lowke model which was made 18 years later and in Northampton 346 miles away.

Thanks Richard that makes sense - I guess in 1938 there would have been much less chance to visit the ship than a model maker would do now. They may have been using black & white photos for reference! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

 

 

From what you've found I'm wondering if Repulse and Warspite would similarly have been a grey anti fouling as well, it would seem likely,

 

I have done some digging re Repulse and come across an account of her sinking by her First Lieutenant Lt Cdr Buckley on page 133 of Arthur Nicholson's book "Hostages to Fortune" in which Buckley describes how Repulse turned over with her forefoot high in the air showing "her clean red hull". 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dickrd said:

I have done some digging re Repulse and come across an account of her sinking by her First Lieutenant Lt Cdr Buckley on page 133 of Arthur Nicholson's book "Hostages to Fortune" in which Buckley describes how Repulse turned over with her forefoot high in the air showing "her clean red hull". 

Ah okay, thanks for looking that out, I was looking at picking that  book up by coincidence,  I may get to do a red one after all, I'm hoping to back date trumpys kit to 1940 but that's by the by for the antifouling, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...