253 - French Heavy Metal Part 3 - Mirage IIIE

Finally we come to the most iconic French military aircraft, the Dassault Mirage III.

This kit was originally released in 1976.  It was always intended to represent the Mirage IIIE/IIIR/5 but bizarrely the initial boxart depicted a Mirage IIIC, which is a very different beast.

Since then the kit has been released by other companies:  Humbrol in 1986, Arwico in 2012 and most recently MisterCraft in 2020.

spacer.png

MisterCraft are a Polish company.  They have been reboxing kits from other companies for some time.  In each case there is a well printed modern decal sheet with a good selection of markings.  However, the buyer should beware.   The MisterCraft Draken is the old Revell kit from 1957.  One might be disappointed if one bought that, so it is worthwhile doing some research beforehand so you know what you are getting.  Having said that, I bought thee MisterCraft Drakens simply for the decal sheets.  They're not exactly expensive.  :thumbsup: 

The MisterCraft Mirage is, however, the Heller kit. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the excellent MisterCraft decal sheet.   I shall be building the French option in this GB.  However, should the Anzac GB get through the bunfight, then I will be applying the Australian decals to a Modelsvit kit. 

spacer.png

I originally built this kit as a Belgian Mirage 5 back in the day when it was available in the classic black box.  I noticed that the undercarriage legs were very flimsy indeed and the model would wobble like a weeble!  Thankfully, just like a weeble it didn't fall down but that was more by good luck than good management.  So, to prevent that situation with this build, I shall be using the Scale Aircraft Conversions white metal undercarriage.  To add a modicum of detail in the cockpit and nose gear bay I will also be using an aftermarket set from Pavla.

spacer.png

• Like 8

Next year may be the year of the Mirage.  I can build Mirage IIIs (or their derivatives) in the following possible GBs:  French Fancy, Africa, Anzac, Unarmed.  Maybe also in the Less Than A Tenner GB. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

This kit was originally released in 1976.  It was always intended to represent the Mirage IIIE/IIIR/5 but bizarrely the initial boxart depicted a Mirage IIIC, which is a very different beast.

Yes that definitely was strange. 

Where I reckon they really missed out was not making it like most other jet fighters they did in 1:72 and offered the two seat option. I reckon they would have sold a gazzillion if it was produced as a III D / E / V in a similar way to the other 1:72 jet fighter and the 1:48 kit which was produced as a III B / C. 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

Hi Enzo,

super choice and indeed the decal sheet looks impressive.

BUT, from the first quick look, beware. The French marking for the 10th Escadre de Chasse, with the 2 Mousquetaires on the vertical surface should only be sported by a Mirage IIIC. Camouflaged in brown and beige, they replaced the F-100D at Djibouti before being themselves replaced by Mirage F1 C.

That still leaves you the iconic 2nd Escadre with the Cigogne (storch).

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jean said:

BUT, from the first quick look, beware. The French marking for the 10th Escadre de Chasse, with the 2 Mousquetaires on the vertical surface should only be sported by a Mirage IIIC. Camouflaged in brown and beige, they replaced the F-100D at Djibouti before being themselves replaced by Mirage F1 C.

That still leaves you the iconic 2nd Escadre with the Cigogne (storch).

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the original boxing of this kit had a IIIC on the boxart.   The MisterCraft boxing has made a similar mistake.  The boxart shows a weird mutant mirage: a IIIE with a IIIC fin.  Artwork on the side of the box shows a IIIC, with short cockpit and long rear fuselage.  That certainly cannot be built from this kit.

My choice was always going to be the EC 1/2 aircraft. 

• Like 1

Interesting kit I didn't know about, have they redone the panel lines as engraved or are they the same.

With the decal sheet I would get rid of those RAAF roundels, look nothing like what was painted on Australian Mirages, almost looks like what ESCI did back in the day.

5 hours ago, Graeme H said:

With the decal sheet I would get rid of those RAAF roundels, look nothing like what was painted on Australian Mirages, almost looks like what ESCI did back in the day.

I didn’t take much notice of the decal sheet but having a look now after you mention it the “Roos” look more like Emus!  Must have been some hijinks between the Roo and the Emu on the Coat of Arms and the Offspring joined the RAAF. 

Yes definitely a throw back in memories to old Esci decals. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Interesting kit I didn't know about, have they redone the panel lines as engraved or are they the same.

It's a pure rebox.  The moulds have not been altered at all. 

Now you mention the roundels, they do look a little suspect!  Not to worry, I have an Xtradecals sheet for use when the time comes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Enzo 

First of all thank you for the additional 2 weeks extension of this GB.

Will this give you enough time for the completion of this one, and have you made any progress since we last heard from you ?

Cheers Pat 

This one has been keeping pace with its compatriots in the groupbuild.

The fuselage halves require some trimming to allow the Pavla cockpit to fit.

spacer.png

But fit it will.   The cockpit interior was sprayed with Tamiya XF-69 NATO black and drybrushed with grey.   It's a good job I'm using white metal undercarriage legs as the Heller parts would never hold that amount of ballast!

spacer.png

Main assembly complete

spacer.png

With intake components ready to be fitted

spacer.png

Cockpit and windscreen masked ready for priming.

spacer.png

And primed with grey auto primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

Sprayed overall with Tamiya XF-91 Yokosuka Grey.

spacer.png

And the camouflage pattern masked with Blutak worms, masking tape squares and Copydex.

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Green sprayed using Tamiya XF-58.

spacer.png

Camouflage modified slightly and the undersides have been sprayed aluminium.  Detail painting completed and a coat of clear lacquer applied ready for the decals.

spacer.png

• Like 5