Sea Otter

I started this three years ago in a Floatplane and Flying Boat GB but run out of time. It's a nice kit but complex with resin, etch and some scratchbuilt parts as well as being a biplane. The original build can be found here. 

This is where I finished way back at the beginning of 2018. 

resized_f242ab2a-263e-4067-bd35-6c83ab51

• Like 5

I've spent a bit of time drilling out the struts and then inserting short wire pins, and drilling out corresponding holes in the wings. The main wing outer and inner struts have been installed. Sorry about the photo quality but we've not got great light ta the moment. 

resized_78f1c4b4-a261-4e63-8971-c2be8b93

I test fitted the upper wing and it fits fine but I've had to drill holes for pins a fair bit away from the indicated place on the upper wing to keep everything straight. 

resized_9f5f5521-5310-4081-a019-2c946247

After some paint tidying up and the upper wing installed, I carefully fixed the wing with a combination of cyano and solvent, followed by the engine supports. 

resized_dfdd3997-54ed-4f6d-bd82-ef33c95c

• Like 5

Hm.  I built one a year or so ago. Had a devil of a job sorting out rigging and fixing the upper wing and engine pod.  My end result having the top wing askew by a couple degrees or so... very annoying. Good luck with it and hope yours ends up better than mine.  By the way, the prop diameter was a bit too much with the blades touching the fuselage roof... maybe it was my building or maybe the prop size is too big...... looks a lot like a Spitfire Mk.2 prop.

On 11/20/2020 at 6:58 PM, Paul J said:

Hm.  I built one a year or so ago. Had a devil of a job sorting out rigging and fixing the upper wing and engine pod.  My end result having the top wing askew by a couple degrees or so... very annoying. Good luck with it and hope yours ends up better than mine.  By the way, the prop diameter was a bit too much with the blades touching the fuselage roof... maybe it was my building or maybe the prop size is too big...... looks a lot like a Spitfire Mk.2 prop.

Thanks Paul, I think the wings are OK but there's a little bit of an angle on the engine but not too obvious unless you go looking for it. I've check the prop and it's very close to the canopy. I don't fancy trimming the blades so I'll probably just turn them away from the canopy. 

Thanks @JOCKNEY the airframe is substantially done but there's still a bit of work to be done. The struts for the floats are not great and I'm going to have to replace them with plastic rod. I've drilled the holes and painted a sufficient length of rod. The wheels will need a bit of work and the canopy fit isn't brilliant and there's a glasshouse to be masked. And last but not least the arrestor hook assembly has disappeared along the way. I've got the resin hook and the injection moulded post so I've built a new piece from plastic strip. I'll let it dry and firm up before moving forward. 

resized_3082d1d1-15d1-453c-86f2-35d380ff

resized_933b1ec5-f503-4ed5-aac4-b760658d

• Like 5

Floats painted (and as usual I have a little tidying up to do) and affixed to the lower wing. I replaced the kit supports which are chunky and would be awkward to clean up. Also at least one is short shot. I used some Slater's plastic rod which looks a lot better. 

resized_0000fad9-236f-4ba7-8cd8-67f02f0b

3d590c2c-0562-410a-890b-8d27c4c51a95.JPG

There's not much to do and I've started masking and painting the canopy which is the last big job. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's nice to see this one under way again.  A subject with plenty of character :coolio:

Thanks Cliff, I also think it's a good looking machine. 

Wheels on now. 

resized_0e79e6ba-e627-497c-8a23-aedee02c

And started on the canopy as it will be quite tight to mask once on. The box is starting to look almost empty which is encouraging. 

resized_e273db1e-d31d-45cc-b0f9-125e5617

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 11:52 PM, AdrianMF said:

Looks great! Nice work on a fiddly k

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. There's not a great deal to do to finish but all the steps are fiddly and intricate so it's been slow progress. Although I only work part time these days work has been really busy and as I work in a hospital it's getting busier and busier as we move into winter, without the added bonus of COVID admissions and COVID vaccinations. 

The exhaust has been trimmed from the resin block, touched up and added to the engine. There's a few more bits of resin and etch added here and there. The undercarriage is completed and fixed and the Otter is stirring on her own wheels now. 

bd37d7c1-68b9-4dc6-8548-a6695de4c105.JPG

resized_ab8ca7cf-ccd7-4f75-8342-300439b8

The canopy masking and painting moves along bit by bit. Hopefully the canopy will be going on in the next few days 

resized_a297a297-3a79-460a-91f1-e94d098c

You have to scratch build the handrails from wire and tiny little etch pieces. I thought the best way was to get the wire on first then slip the etch in behind. Getting the wire in took forever, much longer than it should have done. First, despot the holes being big enough the wire just wouldn't go in. And then despite application of cyano they just fell out. I finally got them in and to stay in with a double bend. Now I'll leave the glue that instantly glues my fingers together a few hours to firm up. Thanks goodness the plane I'm doing only has two of these and not 4 like many. 

resized_98e40596-5b07-4916-bf66-695c0a29

• Like 6

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Lovely work @825, this one going to really compliment your other FAA builds.

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat, this is progressing slowly but surely. It's a good looking aircraft. Though the colour scheme suits the Sea Otter, it is a little incongruous a biplane in the same livery as early jets and late iston fighters. 

The painted canopy affixed. It will need some gentle work to get it smooth. And I didn't notice that the lower part of the frame should be Sky so some major edits masking and painting will be needed. 

resized_2fff68cc-452c-4c5b-b44d-174dc58d

There's a couple of other bits added. 

resized_4cf64ff6-61b1-43db-9e10-1e7564dc

• Like 3

Canopy masked for the lower part to get a few coats of Sky. 

resized_98d133ea-2ab8-4db3-88bf-85a16d7e

Slowly but surely getting to the finishing line. However the hulking great space between the wings are crying out for rigging. 

• Like 3

I decided to replace the wire handrails with some plastic rod. A little overscale but much more resilient as well staying straight rather than deforming every time they're touched. The mooring bollards fitted as well and the canopy unmasked. 

resized_750c6f13-a9fc-4121-9cd2-dcb1443a

All the small bits added and this is pretty much finished, apart from touching up of paint and some final transfers on. I'll think about whether to rig it with some SBS rigging etch in a day or two but I think it'll do for now. 

resized_8a18af21-dd91-4073-94dd-ae9d21f2

• Like 3