New tool Gloster Javelin in 1/72?

OutcastJoel

• OutcastJoel changed the title to New tool Gloster Javelin in 1/72?

I've maintained for some time now that if Airfix were to downsize their Javelin and Hunter kits to 1/72 they would in effect have a license to make money, but they are obviously not listening to me!

• Like 3

I think the problem is that Airfix see scaling as a one way street, from 1/72nd scale to 1/48th. I also wonder if they see it as a commercial proposition. I would gladly buy multiples of a Javelin kit, but the Javelin is an aircraft that was built in relatively small numbers but a number of versions that have noticeable differences. Anyway Airfix have already decided what they will be doing for 2021 and 2022 at least. Sword might be tempted and Special Hobby seem to be announcing kits that take an age to appear whilst suddenly producing kits out of the blue. 

10 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

I've maintained for some time now that if Airfix were to downsize their Javelin and Hunter kits to 1/72 they would in effect have a license to make money, but they are obviously not listening to me!

Didn't work out so well with Revell with their Hunters. I remember 8 or 9 years ago buying up a load when I still lived in Arnhem - they were dumping them for 7 Euros a piece, and they hung about on the shelves for months. And last year I got one from the Hobbycraft Christmas sale for around a £ tenner. Not that it would stop me getting a few if Airfix actually did produce some..................

Paul.

19 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Is this based on anything substantive or, is it merely wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking. Revell may have glutted the market for 1/72 Hunters. The old Airfix, Heller, and Frog Javelins badly need replacing by a modern, cutting edge 1/72 kit, but such an item would likely appeal only to enthusiasts.

• Like 1

Airfix as mentioned seem to do scaling up but not scaling down so I'm not expecting a 72nd scale Spitfire XII or Seafire II/III any time soon.

The fact is that although I/we may seem to think they are potential money spinners in reality how many would they actually sell?  So it's down to the likes of Sword, who do have the Seafire, Special Hobby and possibly AZ/KP to come up trumps with those kits that have a more niche appeal.

Regards

Colin.

1 hour ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Is this based on anything substantive or, is it merely wishful thinking?

For my part it is broadly wishful thinking. The old Javelin kits are badly outdated but I have honestly no idea what the market could sustain.

If the 1/48th kit is being being reissued that might indicate a reasonable interest in the prototype. Equally though it is possible that the market for 1/72 and 1/48 aircraft are substantially different in geography and age. 

I would love a new 1/72 Javelin and given that Airfix have CAD files which represent the shape of the subject pretty well, they would be the obvious candidates.

That said, the cost of re-engineering that shape into a kit at a different scale would still be very substantial.

I am keeping my fingers crossed but it is far less likely (and less profitable) than yet another depressingly excellent kit of a tiger tank...

• Like 1

I would a new tool Javelin, however I am aware that as a fairly keen modeller and interested in especially British operated military aircraft and, my perception of a good seller is probably  not the same as Airfix's. 

As an example of of differing perceptions, I was in Halifax Modellers World a while back and was buying an Italeri Stirling. Another guy had an aircraft kit in his hands and was looking at the box. He then asked me about the Stirling as he had never heard of it. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

However, the hard headed and pragmatic bean counters are the ones that need convincing.

The lack of kits of the afore mentioned Javelin and Sea Vixen might attest to the real limit of their likely sales appeal.

I wonder who decided Airfix should do a 1/72 Swift? 🤔

Edited by ivand
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

Perhaps we need a 'Wishful Thinking" forum! 😄

First class injection moldings in 1/72 scale of the following: Lincoln, Hastings, Belfast, Beverly, Anson XII/C19, Varsity.

Please, please, please Santa, I've been a very good boy this year🙏🙏🙏🙏

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Quite likely someone who is not longer in a position to make such decisions

Regarding the Swift I seem to recall talk about there having been some damage caused to the moulds during the production run which limited availability and therefore sales of the kit , as a subject it would seem neither more nor less obscure than some other Airfix postwar British aircraft although if my recollection about the damage is correct maybe not a subject that would merit doubling the costs and creating a new set of moulds for.

Would be good in 1/48 scale though.

• Like 1

Perhaps the “wishful thinking as Airfix won’t do a new mould [nsert small production run British 1950’s - 1960’s jet] as limited appeal” point reflects the change in the buyers over time?  I’m old enough to remember the heady days when Airfix/ Frog/ Revell could push out all sorts of esoteric subjects in 1/72 that got sold pretty smartish.  Grumman Gosling, Duck, Hotspur Glider, Blackburn Shark, and others. I suppose the heyday of small and big boys running to Woolworths for that fortnights latest release is history (apart from Woolies demise of course)

• Like 1