RNZAF DH Venom FB.1, 14 Sqn, RAF Tengah, Malaya, 1956.*** ABANDONED!!***

DaveyGair

I'm going to try to get this finished, having started it a couple of years or so ago, can't remember what GB it was!

Here's where I got to, the airframe assembled, some filling done, primed and some remedial work done. I decided to do an in-flight, 'Operation Firedog' machine. Hopefully I can manage the myriad of small resin and etch detail parts yet to add!

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003 DSC_0004 DSC_0005 DSC_0006

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

That Venom looks lovely Davey and what a cracking decal sheet. This really deserves to be finished and we all deserve a new tool, readily available 1/72 kit of this much neglected subject. 
Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This really deserves to be finished and we all deserve a new tool, readily available 1/72 kit of this much neglected subject. 

Hear hear! I keep on looking at my Rareplane one, and putting it back in the stash.

• Like 1

Thanks for your interest guys. We'll see if I get going on this, still got a couple of other GB's on the go and having a bit of a modelling block at times after completing 19 this year so far! There's always next time and I do want to see this one done!

Davey.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so since completing my MTO builds I decided to have a look at this. Started to put the flaps and wheel bay doors into place but found these very fine resin pieces really difficult to work with so left it alone for a bit.  A couple of weeks later here's where we're at. The doors and flaps aren't perfect and the etch wing fences were a job to seat properly, the small intake fences (splitters?) were easier!  I gave it a spray of Vallejo Grey Primer which shows up every fault but I think once I get a couple of bombs and rockets on (although I have read a typical 'Firedog' mission would be '4 Venom's armed with two 454kg OR Rockets and 600 rounds of 20mm), all camouflaged and marked up, it'll do me 🙄.

There are a few nightmare aerials and things to go on yet which I may just 'lose' in the carpet!  I still have yet to trim a canopy (they supply two) and paint and fit the pilot and ejector seat but that'll not take long.

More soon,

Davey.

DSC_0005 DSC_0006 DSC_0007

• Like 7

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's nice that you're going 'in flight' with this one Davey, although I'm guessing it will be a fair weight to support.

Yes, surprisingly weighty Cliff. I'll be using the perspex rod coming out of the jet-pipe shown in the first picture, mounted on a photo frame. I think jets look good done in-flight, did a Fujimi Phantom recently which works well.

Davey.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 1:40 AM, Cuppa_joe said:

Should come up great! Following!

Many thanks, may not end up being done with 'finesse' but she'll be done!

Got the paint done, Dark Green/DSG over PRU Blue.  Just got to add some aerials and other finer details, armament, pilot and canopy. Got a week or so left so should be easy!

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Love the Venom!  The CMK kits are superb (I built their Wyvern a while back) but the only one I have at the moment is the 1/48 CA kit.

Thanks Graham. This is the only one I've attempted, I just like the Venom, not my usual subject. They are beautifully presented with great decals, PE, instructions and fantastic details, but my ageing hands and eyes, and impatience, won't do it justice but I'll do my best!

Davey.

• DaveyGair changed the title to RNZAF DH Venom FB.1, 14 Sqn, RAF Tengah, Malaya, 1956.*** ABANDONED!!***

Started doing the decals today and they are THE worse decals I have had to work with!  They had no adhesion and seemed stiff and brittle, I got the roundels on the wings to go on with lots of 'Klear' sealing them but they have a ring of silvering which I can't quite get rid of, I did cut them quite close. The large serials just kept coming off and would not settle with either 'Micro Sol/Set' method or the Johnsons 'Klear' method, both of which I have used since getting back into the hobby a few years ago and haven't had any great problems with all sorts of manufacters decals.  It's as if you're trying to stick on thin 'Sellotape' with no adhesive backing!

The tail-boom markings would not conform no matter what I did, including PVA wetted down.

I don't know if I got a bad sheet and have sent an e-mail to 'Mark 1' models who produced the kit (I don't know who does the decals. Not much hope of getting another set as I don't think this is available anymore.

Being returned to the SOD pending obtaining some other decals of some sort.

Just to check I wasn't going mad I did the decals for my 'Mossie' NF.II over on the 'Interceptor' GB, they are by 'Delta Decals' and are printed by 'Tally-Ho' in the Czech Republic and went on beautifully!

Davey.

This was after an hour or so drying time.

DSC_0005

Decal will not conform at all.

DSC_0006

• Sad 2

Bugga. That is such a shame Davey. If you want more decals to finish it, I'm pretty sure Oldmodels decals out here in New Zealand do some & they're generally pretty nice to use. They take to the Klear method well. 

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Bugga. That is such a shame Davey. If you want more decals to finish it, I'm pretty sure Oldmodels decals out here in New Zealand do some & they're generally pretty nice to use. They take to the Klear method well. 

Steve.

Cheers Steve, I do want to finish it sometime. I'll look them up.

Davey.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 10:03 PM, Cuppa_joe said:

Damn that's really something. Iv seen in some really bad cases normal glue lightly used can indeed break them down. Watched a whole video on (someone's model iirc) it and it was to good effect!!

On 1/30/2021 at 7:00 PM, stevehnz said:

Steve.

Just to update this, I didn't get a reply from Mark 1 models to my E-mail, but out of the blue yesterday a thick envelope arrived from them with another set of decals!

Alas, these have not worked either, the same problems. I don't know if other CMK kits are the same, this is the only one of this manufacturer I have done.  I will inform them but this is still shelved for now. After the pandemic I may order some from Oldmodels as there seems to be a lot of delays and losses in the post at the moment!

Davey. 

Don't get too hung up about postage time between NZ & the Uk Davey, I sent some decals to another member which too about 2 1/2 weeks to arrive so not a lot slower than post covid at the moment. I'm finding it works about the same the other way too.

Steve.

On 2/22/2021 at 9:07 AM, stevehnz said:

Don't get too hung up about postage time between NZ & the Uk Davey, I sent some decals to another member which too about 2 1/2 weeks to arrive so not a lot slower than post covid at the moment. I'm finding it works about the same the other way too.

Steve.

Cheers for the info Steve, I'm putting it to one side at the moment and will order decals for the next KUTA methinks 😁

Davey.

• Like 1