Seversky P-35 ‒ The Air Corps discovers the future

Toryu

I was reminded of this chubby little fighter, which had rested in my stash for 25 years, when @Duncan B presented his fine build here last October. Although a (possibly better) Dora Wings product is anticipated I decided to launch my Hobbycraft relic now. Classic kits are my passion, and I wanted to finish before I was tempted to buy the newer model. 😀

50623984213_ee1908b2b2_b.jpg

50624729556_7b9bbf1224_b.jpg

There are not many options if you want to build an aluminium P-35 because it only equipped the three squadrons of 1st Pursuit Group. I chose the personal aircraft of Major Harold H. George, commander of 94th Pursuit Squadron at Selfridge Field in 1937, thanks to Duncan who was so generous to send me his remaining decals.

50623984148_99c9bf1ce8_b.jpg

The P-35 was the first all-metal cantilever single-seater in the US Army Air Corps, a somewhat inconsistent design with a colourful history but a hapless career which may have been the fault of Alexander Seversky himself (or Curtiss-Wright's impertinent influence on Materiel Command). The bird was fast, manoeuverable, climbed well and offered great visibility. Pilots generally liked it except for its tendency to ground-loop.

50623984073_55cfaf07ba_b.jpg

50623984038_4ef5f33504_b.jpg

50623983998_1b15797761_b.jpg

50623983918_240268f703_b.jpg

The kit, on the other hand, is not inconsistent - it's perfectly imperfect. This is my third Hobbycraft build and I was rather satisfied with the previous ones. All of them had some parts that failed in scale, but this model is to 1/49 scale throughout - that's 2 mm less all around - save for the width of the fuselage which appears accurate 🤨. Besides, it has an insufficient rudder shape and not much detail. (Should I have tempered my passion and waited for Dora Wings?).

The parts, however, are nicely molded and most fit well, and the panel lines deserve applause. I was very lucky to get hold of a copy of the May 2003 Scale Aviation Modeller which offers an excellent scale plan and to have secured the Eduard PE set when it was still obtainable. Without these benefits improvement opportunities would have been limited.

Going ahead I concluded that this should be done -

50624830482_92eb449579_b.jpg

-   Increase dimensions; I hesitated whether extending the wings was worth the effort, but it also served to create a double panel line (not present on the kit) and to add dihedral (too shallow).

-   Adjust the rudder by means of a home-cut PE insert plus putty; it's interesting to note that the kit's original bar & stripes decal matches the revised shape very well whereas all aftermarket decals are tailored to the former outline - Hobbycraft's printer outsmarted their tool maker!

50624830422_d1aabd310b_b.jpg

-   Replace the engine (Vector R-1830) and the prop (surplus part from a Monogram TBD  with some refinements).

-   Re-model the cowling (scale extension, half-open flaps, deeper gun troughs, correct panels).

50624729011_75d0cc06e5_b.jpg

-   Modify wheel wells and gear covers, in particular the undercarriage strut mounting (from a simple hole to the original pivot bracket). I added home-made girders and braces to SAC white metal struts. It was an endless trial and error cutting the struts and covers to make the model 'sit' right.

50623983698_cbcba419e5_b.jpg

-   Scratch-build the cockpit with parts from the Eduard PE set; the P-35 cockpit was very roomy but appears unorganised and unergonomic by later standards.

and more -

-   Move the razorback 2 mm rearwards; replace windscreen and canopy with vacu parts (Falcon set No. 32).

-   Modify the tailwheel and tailwheel housing.

-   Add position lights and other small features.

-   Use decals from various sources (Hobbycraft, Yellow Wings 48-051 and scrap box). The Indian Head insignia from 48-051 was enlarged by 50% via scan & print to match the original size. This may still be too small depending on which photo and angle you consider.

50624728911_0ae135eaf2_b.jpg

Was it a wise decision to rely on this kit, then? It definitely surprised with more weaknesses than expected and tested my patience, but it was exciting to overcome these obstacles. I hope you like the result and feel encouraged to domesticate this little beast if you have it in your stash.

Cheers, Michael

References

Air Corps, J.V. Mizrahi, Northridge, 1970

Air Enthusiast No.10, William Green / Gordon Swanborough, London, 1979

P-35, Mini In Action No.1, Larry Davis, Carrollton, 1994

From Seversky To Victory - Republic's P-47 Thunderbolt, Warren M. Bodie, Hiawassee, 1994

The Official Monogram US Army Air Service & Air Corps Aircraft Color Guide Vol.1, Robert D. Archer, Sturbridge, 1995

Scale Aviation Modeller Volume 9 Issue 5, Bedford, 2003

Wings of Stars - US Army Air Corps 1919-1941, On Target Special No.6, Peter Freeman and Mike Starner, Ardington, 2009

From Silver Wings to Yellow Wings → follow this link

• Like 54
  • Thanks 2

That's really lovely, Toryu. I've got one in the stash, along with a Little Fokkers resin cockpit, an old Eduard etched set and an Aeromaster decal sheet. If it comes out half as well as yours, I'd be well chuffed.

Regards, Jeff

• Thanks 1

This is a masterpiece. Not only the aircraft is impressive with its perfect metal finish but also the pilot figure is awesome. You are also very skilled in figure painting as well. Seeing your great work I really feel encouraged to add a P-35 to my 1/72 collection.

• Thanks 1

Oh boy that's stunning. Great work on all the modifications and I'm glad to see the decals found such a good new home. 

I am going to have another go at the P-35 once the Dora Wings kit arrives here, I already have the D W P-43 in stock so it will be nice to see how they turn out.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

Posting that I am simply impressed will not give proper credit to this masterpiece.  Michael, your P-35 is the gold standard on what we try and achieve when constructing these kits.  I am in awe for your attention to detail on this kit.  Great results with the always complex natural metal / silver finish.  :worthy:

Mike

• Thanks 1

That Hobbycraft kit only provided a canvas upon which an artist could render his own masterpiece.   Michael, you are the artist.   Incredible work and detail from a true master of the art reveals the masterpiece that was hidden within the plastic.  Thank you for the great inspiration!  :worthy:

That looks great. I love US pre war aircraft. 

I'm not surprised it had a reputation for ground loops. It's very short coupled. You'd soon lose rudder authority with that short fuselage. 

But it's a great looking aeroplane or airplane as I should say. 

@Spitfire31 @noelh

This is the very reason why the export version of the P-35 received a 20" (50 cm) longer fuselage. Many J9 destined for Sweden were requisitioned for US service as P-35A when war clouds were gathering. They fought their first and last stand against the Japanese in the Philippines until lost to attrition in January 1942.

But the basic design had a famous progeny. As we know the P-35 was Thunderbolt's grandpa, and watch this perspective - doesn't it look like the F-84's great grandpa?

50624728831_609df439d9_c.jpg

• Like 1

@Gary Brantley @Jeff Wilson and all others: Many thanks for your uplifting comments. I hope my model does deserve them.

On 20/11/2020 at 23:13, 112 Squadron said:

the aircraft is impressive with its perfect metal finish

On 21/11/2020 at 13:19, Sky Keg said:

Great results with the always complex natural metal / silver finish.

Thank you! What I didn't mention in the list of alterations are the many curses and blowups while spraying and re-spraying and touching up the metallic colours to mend ever spreading damages (nor the endless hours of taping and masking)... Btw, the model itself is finished in a greater variety of metal shades than apparent in the pictures.

• Like 1