Trumpter RA5C Vigilante

neil5208

Now I have the AV8S Matador finished I will start a kit I have had in the stash for over a year, I've been waiting for the Welcome to the Jungle decal sheet to come off back order with Hannants but I have ordered it direct from the CTA website instead so I'm going to make a start on the kit. So as this is a kit in this scale I haven't seen built on BM I done the obligartry sprue shots. The kit looks well moulded with no signs of flash, the clear IP is different the other kits I've done and the decals look well printed. Hopefully it should build into a nice model.

eaf29dec-19b7-4789-9f7f-4f0132ecb008.JPG

aaf7b5be-ad2a-4248-ad20-2ec9f9e6573e.JPG

dcc08eb0-aa40-4a55-bdb6-5dd24135d9ed.JPG

dee0edf9-fd45-4019-bd40-b5b7ee3ecd61.JPG

ca353fd3-59ce-4ebf-ae48-1e7edfd9614a.JPG

f414ac89-eb0d-46ea-840f-e0a2f949da8a.JPG

9d7c28fa-2165-47ec-ad4a-e7d872b4aa0d.JPG

63c5f329-de3f-41b5-b5b8-d60524e2708d.JPG

caa201ed-1497-40d6-b4a2-d01c1b9923d0.JPG

8c3ec62c-a88a-4e21-a8f1-a807e4d0bd4b.JPG

d05fc047-db85-488b-aa56-d09724a3b241.JPG

• Like 12

1 hour ago, F-32 said:

Looks like a lovely kit, I'm going to have to get a couple of these I think

Looks may be deciving... I've put the seats and cockpit together this afternoon and virtually every part needed scraping or sanding to fit but its looking good so far.

cc2071d6-fbe6-4556-9165-e0899c8ce063.JPG

Each seat was 5 parts

09ead370-384a-4f29-9e46-0333ffcffc3f.JPG

dc8a1f55-97a9-4234-b105-6fc63656f05b.JPG

Cockpit and wheel bay is 15 parts so far with IP's and cowls to be added, and dry fit to fuselage.

7d7a0353-42f9-4251-a003-3b5c7728b063.JPG

• Like 12

Oh yes - I have this kit as well and would be very interested seeing how the progress goes. Any plans to fix the hump shape issue (a bit flat on Trumpy) and wrong canopy width (on real thing there is a step on the fuselage along the canopy while kit has almost even fuselage sides)? I personally will probably live with that... Also IIRC there are not intake trunking so another area for scratch-building.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

Oh yes - I have this kit as well and would be very interested seeing how the progress goes. Any plans to fix the hump shape issue (a bit flat on Trumpy) and wrong canopy width (on real thing there is a step on the fuselage along the canopy while kit has almost even fuselage sides)? I personally will probably live with that... Also IIRC there are not intake trunking so another area for scratch-building.

I see what you mean  with both issue but that a bit more work than I feel comfortable doing, the Cta decal I have ordered have a SEA type colour scheme which will reduce the shape issue I think.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Hopefully it should build into a nice model.

Good luck with this kit, Neil! 👍 Looks very similar to their 1:48 scale kit that’s on my bench for a year and a half. It has a rudder from an A-5A and other mismatches... I cannot throw it because I promised to build it for my friend, but cannot build it too.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

It's a nice kit, downsized from the 1/48 original. Has some shape issues but builds up into an impressive result. 

Do you have a reference/link for the SEA camouflage scheme? 

Alan 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Good luck with this kit, Neil! 👍 Looks very similar to their 1:48 scale kit that’s on my bench for a year and a half. It has a rudder from an A-5A and other mismatches... I cannot throw it because I promised to build it for my friend, but cannot build it too.

I'll finish for you 😇

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Neil,

I'll definitely follow this thread since I have the 1/48 one in my stash !!

If you don't mind it of course !! I'll seat at the bar...

I know that camouflaged version have been used in SEA, but I'm not sure that it is the usual USAF SEA camouflage...

There has been A-1 skyraider and F-4 Phantom painted as well, but USN gave it up after a trial period.

I've heard about veeery prominent riveting, creating the legend of the Mad Chinese Riveter... Working with a Duschka....

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neil5208 said:

I see what you mean  with both issue but that a bit more work than I feel comfortable doing, the Cta decal I have ordered have a SEA type colour scheme which will reduce the shape issue I think.

I think I saw some WIP threads where brave men were reshaping the hump. But I do not remember reshaping front fuselage as that means new canopies, etc. So my plan honestly to leave everything as it is either. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Neil,

I'll definitely follow this thread since I have the 1/48 one in my stash !!

If you don't mind it of course !! I'll seat at the bar...

I know that camouflaged version have been used in SEA, but I'm not sure that it is the usual USAF SEA camouflage...

There has been A-1 skyraider and F-4 Phantom painted as well, but USN gave it up after a trial period.

I've heard about veeery prominent riveting, creating the legend of the Mad Chinese Riveter... Working with a Duschka....

Sincerely.

CC

Have a look at the link to the Cta page from earlier, there is two versions of the Vigilante, one with grey/green/dark green and the second the standard SEA colours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neil5208 said:

Have a look at the link to the Cta page from earlier, there is two versions of the Vigilante, one with grey/green/dark green and the second the standard SEA colours.

Raaaah Jolly Rogers time line at 1/72 only....

Thanks for the tip Neil !

CC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dennis_C said:

I think I saw some WIP threads where brave men were reshaping the hump.

Is the hump on the Hasegawa kit any better? I have it and the Trumpeter kits, and can dig them out and do a comparison, if anyone is interested.

Mike

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Is the hump on the Hasegawa kit any better? I have it and the Trumpeter kits, and can dig them out and do a comparison, if anyone is interested.

Mike

Honestly I do not know. Front fuselage around the cockpit is definitely better though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Mike

That would be nice to see if there is any difference between them.

• Thanks 2

This is a fabulous looking aircraft. She’s a big bird too. I remember building the old Airfix kit back in the day in the grey over white scheme. 

I think this is the first time I can recall seeing the camouflaged versions and very pretty they look too. 

That feels like alot of bits for each seat in 1/72nd scale. Well done for managing to get them together neatly. 👍

Looking forward to more. 

• Like 2

Been working on the cockpit on and off between the usaul weekend jobs and ended up with this.

1de5d247-f70e-4067-a254-1d117e02a94c.JPG

119bbda9-1851-40e0-9084-3e596b8da6c9.JPG

I did try to use the IP film but the printed details don't line up with the ip holes and you wouldn't be able to see the once fitted anyway so that was binned. For anyone building this kit watch out for the fit of the back seat IP coaming due to the moulded detail in the fuselage halves as indicated below.

18f59e2e-57ab-4f6f-b0b0-3c1849d500df.JPG

Just need to trim the raised detail out a little bit.

261b9328-db24-4be7-9629-7715281a367e.JPG

d49e6557-5dd4-42b5-9a76-c0c504bd2491.JPG

And that where I'll leave it tonight.

• Like 12